Unprepared for 10km

Options
I'm doing a 10km charity fun run on Sunday. I use the word run loosely because it can be walked.

My issue is that following illness, my training schedule was debunked and I'm going into Sunday having not completed a full 10km in training. The most I've done is 6.5km doing intervals of fast walk, run, rinse and repeat.

I'm not stupid, I seriously consider contacting the organisers and postponing to next year but my motivational reasons for doing it won out.

I'm not to bothered about posting a great time. Alive at the end will do.

I'm posting in hopes someone may have some wisdom to offer me such as whether doing training tomorrow is wise.

Replies

• CBooth5033
    CBooth5033 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I never completed full 10K in training, but when it came to race day I did it. For me it was all mental and I kept telling myself I can go just a bit farther and I did. My time was super slow, but I finished. Now getting ready for the next one in September.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon woefully unprepared. Don't worry--you can do it. And then you'll have a time to beat for the next one.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    If you can do 6.5, you can do 10. Just stick to your usual run-walk pattern. :)

No, you can't train for a 10K in a day. It will probably go better for you on Sunday if you rest your legs and lungs tomorrow.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

No, you can't train for a 10K in a day. It will probably go better for you on Sunday if you rest your legs and lungs tomorrow.
    +1. Yes, you can/should do it and nothing you do tomorrow is going to help you, but there is always the possibility of injury, so I would just take it easy. There will probably be plenty of people walking or run/walking, so just go out and do what you can do. And always remember to have fun!

• MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

^^This
    Rest tomorrow and have a great time on Sunday! No doubt you can finish doing what you always do, plus the crowd and all the activity makes it go fast and fun. Let us know how it goes!
  • taffyapple87
    taffyapple87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So today's the day.
    Took everyone advice and did not train yesterday.
    Dead nervous, dead excited but I will pop back later to let you all know how I did.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Be sure to update your will
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well...............? :wink:
  • DavPul
    Options
    Dead.gif~c200
  • taffyapple87
    Options
    Lol. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Sorry to disappoint DavPul but still alive. Just sunburnt and suffering from blisters on my heels.

Went very well. Was aiming for anything sub 1 hour 45 mins and got over the finish line at just under 1 hour 38mins. Given how unfit I was 7 months ago, really pleased with that time.

My only negative comment about the fun run was that I wasn't able to go as fast as I wanted towards the end as there was a smaller run that started the same time that I would say 4000 out of the 5000 present did.

By the time our race got towards the end, they had finished and were heading home with their families... walking right in the middle of the route. Trying to dodge the mass people coming in the opposite direction including pushchairs, little kids, people in wheelchairs etc didn't make it easy at all.

But I don't want to dwell on the bad. It was a great experience... really glad I did it.
  • GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am so close. I can do 8.6km. I actually ran 10k last week but man did I feel awful. I don't know of newbies feel like I did but Ifelt nnauseous the day after and my legs were sore and knees in a lot of pain. It was a bad experience but I'm gonna try again though.
  • taffyapple87
    Options
    I didn't run it. I did intervals between walking and jog/run.

I did it with a friend and had to laugh. At the start, I wished her luck in case that was the last I saw of her until the end... moments later I lost her in a sea of people.

She did really well so dead proud of her.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Way to go, @taffyapple87!! Time to sign up for the next one!
  • DavPul
    Options
    Congrats! On both not dying and finishing!