I did something stupid.

Options

Replies

• Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Another training plan recommendation: http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/half-marathon/
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I think there is actually a lot of people who walk/run it. well, I was in Disney when they did their half marathon, and it think and extremely high number of them walk/ran it. if its like the Boston marathon then that's a different story, so the venue might make a difference there.

but the only path to defeat here is not going.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Do it! Nobody says you have to run the whole thing or get a good time or whatever. Nobody's going to hurt you if you don't finish "on time". It's gonna be fun. Why not do it?
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cool, thank you all for the advice and encouragement!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    larali1980 wrote: »
    The time limit is 6 hours. I am sure I can finish it by walking, but how many people walk these things? LOL

Quite a few. You'd be surprised. I've done three half-marathons, alternating walking and jogging segments, with finish times around 2:40. Pick a training plan and get started ASAP. There's a real feeling of accomplishment when you cross the finish line after 13.1 miles. Good luck!

• mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did something similar once. I was looking for excuses to not do it, but then I realize I paid REAL MONEY for it. After some training it got much better, but what got me started was the money. It was refundable, yes, but in my head it was already spent and already gone and I was committed by that. Sounds stupid, I know, that I was more motivated to not waste the money than by my health and fitness, but it worked and now my health is moving in the right direction! I did the race, albeit slowly and almost not making the time limit, but that kickstarted my path. All over 45 bucks! If that's what you gotta do, that's what you gotta do! You got this!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I actually had sorta the opposite happen last year. There was an 8k i was really excited for but I got there too late and missed it :(
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a miserable time if you are planning to hit six hrs for a half that would discourage me from trying further. And possibly lead to inujury. Personally, given that you don't yet run 5K, I'd train for running a 5K, then a 10K first and build up from there as I would think one would want to do something that is not just a one off "I did it" but a commitment to various activities.

Having said that - I've done stupider things :D So good luck.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If there's a 6 hour time limit they are expecting a lot of people to walk. That's barely over a 2 mph pace.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You should be able to manage to walk it no problem. You should be able to cut down that time significantly by doing it run/walk. If no one's posted it yet, there's good training for that here, and there's no need to finish the program in order to see benefits: jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

I would not try to train to run the whole thing. Going from couch to a half, which is what you'd be doing, took me about 6 months of steady training. I was already fit from lifting and already capable of walking for very long distances. I also leap-frogged training steps I probably should not have (like going from running 5K at the end of C25K to running 6 miles three times per week without working into it).
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I would forget the HM training plans and just train to run. Can you run for 30 minutes straight? If not, then try this run/walk plan.

Run 1 minute at a conversational pace.
    Walk for 5 minutes.
    repeat for 30-45 minutes total.
    Do this 3x a week.

Each week, increase the time you are running by 30 seconds and decrease the time you are walking by 30 seconds.

Keep doing this until you can run 30 minutes straight. If you can run 30 minutes straight, you can do the HM with walk breaks. Just keep the pace slow as you are running, slow enough that you could hold a conversation while running.
  • MakingMyDreamsComeTrue2015
    Options
    DO IT! Even if it means you walk most of it. At least you did it!
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    LOTS of people walk. Even more run-walk.
    I agree with the theme here - do it. Start training now. I would even consider doing the couch-to-5K or couch-to-10K training programs. Whatever program you choose, you're going to gain stamina and be better prepared for a half.
    Look at it this way, November is coming whether you train or not. Why not train? I doubt very much you'll be sorry you did.
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add and a few others have said, too, but LOTS of people run-walk. It will NOT take you 6 hours :smile:
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    The time limit is 6 hours. I am sure I can finish it by walking, but how many people walk these things? LOL

People walk 5ks, so a lot of people will walk part or all of a half marathon. Start training, do the best you can...you will probably have to walk part of it but that's fine. Then, whatever time you do it in, make it a goal to improve your pace next time.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options

A LOT. you wouldn't be the only one at all.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Avoid injury and work on a walk/run for the event. LOADS of people walk these things. If you start now, you'll be surprised on race day how much faster you are than some of the other people there. Get as ready as you can and enjoy your progress. If you bag it, then what? And what will your activity level be when the "bagged" race day arrives.

Do your best and have a blast. It'll be loads of fun and you will be that much farther along in training for another event! :heart:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just a note, not every race has tons of walkers. None of the half marathons around here have walkers. People will run/walk but not walk the whole way. Some races won't even allow walkers.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I walked two half marathons -- and then I ran one! I trained with a group of women -- some of us ran, some of us walked, and some of us did the Galloway method of walk/run alternating. It was really fun! I was in my mid fifties.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I currently run about 2 miles at a time several days a week. I am planning on doing a half in November as well and the training program doesn't even start until Aug 3 -- you have time to train to be able to at least run part of it and walk the rest. I did the Broad Street Run in '14 and ran part and walked part and ended up finishing the last 3 miles mostly walking due to pain in hips/legs. There were still plenty of people behind me.