How to keep my salad fresh???!!!

Options
I love my daily salad for lunch. I want to make a few so I can grab and go BUT I'm having a difficult time keeping my lettuce (pre-bagged) from browning and my diced up cucumbers crisp. I use the Rubbermaid salad containers that separate everything but cant make more than 2 at a time. Does anyone have suggestions or tips that you could share?

Replies

• ablalock0712
    ablalock0712 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Use mason jars look on pintrest. I just made 7 for the week it will explain how to pack them hope that helps! !!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I second the mason jar suggestion
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I would make containers of the leafy vegetable and then put other items in separate containers. Takes just a minute in the morning to grab a handful from each container to put on top of the greens. Or, you could even pre-portion each ingredient-as long as you keep it separate. Especially wet items like tomatoes. Worked for me
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Mason jar salads really do keep better! Its partially the glass and partially the way everything is layered.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If one adds oil and vinegar does that keep salad fresh as well as work as a good dressing?
  • SkinnyCat39
    SkinnyCat39 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey CodysMom thanks for asking this, it has been one of the wonders of the world for me. Thanks to everyone for your advice/answers. :-)
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    If one adds oil and vinegar does that keep salad fresh as well as work as a good dressing?
    no it would get soggy if u stored t like that,but its a good dressing,thats all my mother used as salad dressing
    i didnt even know their were other kinds of dressings till was 11/12 LOL

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Thirds for mason jars. They keep fresh for minimum 5 days if you add your dressing just before you eat.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    If you make jar salads, the dressing goes in first, then you add the things that either are improved with dressing (pasta, quinoa etc) or things that won't absorb it (hard veggies like peppers, cucumbers etc). The salad leaves go on top, well away from the dressing, so they don't get soggy.
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

No no no. Do not store with dressing or it will get gross real quick. Also, OP, the method I learned when I was in culinary school was to place the cleaned greens in an air-tight plastic bag with a slightly moistened paper towel inside with the greens. You can also wrap them gently in a clean kitchen towel and place in the bag. I haven't tried the mason jar miracle, but sounds like it could work. I just recommend adding a slightly damp paper towel. Will help keep the leaves crisp.
  • Bunna99
    Bunna99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've made mason jar salads before with good results. I just made these yesterday and put the chickpeas in the bottom with the dressing.

http://cleanfoodcrush.com/chop-chop/
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Can you buy the greens loose and spin them? It keeps longer if you spin it. OXO makes an excellent salad spinner. I've had a few and it my favorite. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts. Pick a hearty lettuce. Romaine has much more staying power than iceberg. If you go for spring mix - the plastic tubs are great. I can get a tub to last 5 days. I pick thru it every day or so and remove leaves that are going bad. But what I pick out is minimal.

Place any "wet" veggies on the bottom of your salad container.

Salad dressing - I like the really small Rubbermaid containers....they hold only 4 ounces. If your salad bowl is big enough, just put the dressing container in your bowl. The lid is plenty tight to keep the dressing in place.

I do a lot of grilled chicken salads. I store the grilled chicken (from the freezer) in ziplock snack bags. I just toss a ziplock bag in with the salad. These are great for croutons too.
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Pop 1 kitchen towel in the top of the salad then lock the tub/jar. I do this and it helps keep it n ice and crunchy
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I put a paper towel in the bag and then salad. Works great and easy cleanup!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    After washing and spinning the lettuce I put it in a big freezer bag with a paper towel. I will change the paper towel with a new dry one every time I open the bag. Lettuce keeps well for 5-6 days.

I would do the exact same thing if I were portioning out lettuce, only smaller freezer bags or plastic containers.

Mason jars are kinda heavy and bulky for transport, but I like the idea for storing lettuce at home. I'd still throw a paper towel in there, though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are hard to keep fresh once sliced. With lettuce it's really all about freshness. Even really soft lettuces I get from garden will easily keep for more than a week in my fridge. Swiss chard is a little easier to keep fresh and makes a nice salad.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    A couple of thoughts. Pick a hearty lettuce. Romaine has much more staying power than iceberg. If you go for spring mix - the plastic tubs are great. I can get a tub to last 5 days. I pick thru it every day or so and remove leaves that are going bad. But what I pick out is minimal.

Place any "wet" veggies on the bottom of your salad container.

Salad dressing - I like the really small Rubbermaid containers....they hold only 4 ounces. If your salad bowl is big enough, just put the dressing container in your bowl. The lid is plenty tight to keep the dressing in place.

I do a lot of grilled chicken salads. I store the grilled chicken (from the freezer) in ziplock snack bags. I just toss a ziplock bag in with the salad. These are great for croutons too.

@TeaBea for the tubs, after I open them i put a fresh papertowel on the top and reclose. then store in the fridge upside down, the towel will absorb any extra wetness and the salad will last a week!

and funny it sound like we eat the same lunch ;)

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I buy the big containers of greens (right now i am all about the 50/50 spring mix and baby spinach). I toss the green in the container (which is sitting on my scale, of course) and then cut whatever veggies/protein I want in there. Once you get efficient, it will only take you about 5 mins to do :)
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get the organic romaine lettuce (usually it's a bag of 3 heads.) Use containers for the veggies and usually prepare it right there on the spot. Always fresh!