people who've lost 40lbs

Options
I would love to lose 40lbs and be down to my normal weight before i had my children the hard part im having is i cannot think of dinners i could eat that are healthy and low cals and i doesnt consist of fish.........so i was curious anyone whos lost atleast 40lbs could you give me how long it took you and what stuff you would eat for dinner ive read about the frozen healthy choice meals and lean meals but im not sure how well they taste and advice would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks!

Replies

• Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to a year and a half. I was comfortable with losing 1/2 to 1 pound consistently every week. The last bit of weight has been tougher. I stopped eating the frozen meals because of the sodium, way too much. For dinners mostly I eat chicken, bbq'd, or in the crockpot, then have steamed carrots, beans, potatoes (with peel), or quinoa pasta. I have other things too, but that's what I like the most.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It took me about 5 months to loose 40 lbs. My dinner is usually boneless skinless chicken breast with some veggies. I love sweet poatoes and brussel sprotus. You have to watdh out for sodium in the frozen dinners. Skinnytaste.com has so great low calorie dinner ideas.
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    I've lost close to 90 pounds! I don't eat seafood, so the majority of my dinners consist of salad, chicken, whole wheat pasta, and ground turkey! I try and limit my red meat intake, since it's really not all that great for you. Don't do frozen dinners like Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine - they are loaded with sodium and although low in calories, they aren't good for you. Opt for fresh veggies and fruit! I overload on fruits and veggies everyday! :) I also snack on nuts (almonds, cashews, etc)!

I started my "lifestyle" change Feb of 2010 and I've gradually lost close to 90. I typically workout 5-6 days a week, usually just cardio. Now that I'm at my goal weight and size, I will start lifting weights to tone! I need to get ready to rock a strapless wedding dress in November of 2012! :)

Good luck! :)
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I lost just over 70!!!! I eat high fiber cereal with Skim milk for Breakfast everyday..I eat a lean Cuisen (only the ones that are 300cals and under) at lunch, sometimes i eat Tuna with lettuce and cucumber in a whole wheat pita bread...then at supper most times i eat a small baked potatoe, grilled chicken burger on a whole wheat weight watchers bun and a big side of Garden salad.....or i eat very small portion of whatever i made for the family, Chili, stew, rice & chicken ect and i just always fill half my plate with a big garden salad, and then i never go over in portion size with anything else on my plate! For snacks i would have a pc of fruit and a 100cal snakc of some sort....hope that helps.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 50 and I'm still going..I do a lot of chicken and veggies, salads with chicken, sweet potatoes
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I have lost EXACTLY 40 lbs but have 10 to go - also I was down 16 of those 40 before joining MFP, but anyway. I don't do frozen dinners, but I do tend to eat the same stuff over and over...

99% lean ground turkey with Bertolli organic spaghetti sauce over 100% whole wheat penne - pairs nicely with a veggie salad of your choice - my favorite salad dressings are from Bolthouse Farms.

Egg White Omelette (1 whole egg - 2 egg whites) with veggies and mozzerella cheese or can stuff with mixture of cheese and Friendship Brand cottage cheese (no salt added cottage cheese). Top Omelette with Newman's Own Mild Salsa (only 60 mg of sodium per serving in this brand of salsa)

I do alot of grilled or baked chicken paired with steamed veggies. I like to steam sugar snaps. Or brocolli. Or sautee zucchini, green onions and squash in a little EVOO with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Can't go wrong with a mostly naked sweet baked potato - just add some ground cinnamon.

I like things simple. If I have to be in the kitchen more than 30 minutes before eating - that's too long!

These are pretty much my go to meals. Sometimes I will just have a homemade protein shake for dinner or a bowl of Kashi cereal if the mood suits me.

I know you said you don't like fish - but 2 of the most delish fish recipes I have are:

Tilapia - marinated with EVOO, lemon juice, fresh garlic, fresh parsley, dried basil, salt and pepper - bake it in oven at 425 for 15 min wrapped in foil

Salmon - marinate in Ken's Steakhouse Teriyaki marinade and add brown sugar to marinade - bake in oven at 350 for 25 min wrapped in foil.

Both my husband and my kids (4 and 1) LOVE both of these fish recipes - they are both very easy too!

As others have mentioned - sodium is tough to keep low. I monitor my sodium and sugar intake - my diary is public and I welcome friends. :) In addition to trying to eat clean and healthy (most of the time - though this weekend was somewhat of a bust), I strength train 3x/week with the heaviest weights I can lift, and do cardio 3-5x week ONLY for 20 minutes (I do interval training only).

This has worked great for me thus far! Good luck - you can do it!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi. I joined MFP 3/13/11 and hit my 40 pound mark 9 weeks later. My food diary is open if you want to see what I eat. I rarely eat a frozen meal dinner. They are usually high in sodium, so just watch that.

My dinners usually consist of a lean protein ie, boneless skinless chicken, ground turkey, lean beef, veggie burger, ( I just got some of these, so haven't tried them yet). , eggs(breakfast for dinner).

A vegetable, broccoli, asparagus, green beans

A Starch- usually brown rice

You could make a chef salad and and canned chicken/tuna.

Feel free to add me if you'd like! :)

5649341.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Nichole90
    Nichole90 Posts: 118
    Options
    thanks ladies! my problem is we shop every 10 days and when i buy salad mix and veggies and fruits if they arent ate in 3 days they go bad .....what about for some of your lunches?
  • Nichole90
    Options
    OH and CONGRATS on the weight loss!
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I see ppl tell you not to eat frozen dinners even the low cal kind!! I know, they do have alot of sodium....But, it worked for me....You prob would be better off with Fresh veggies and salad ect...But i am hooked on the Lean cuisine Dinners...I have one for lunch like every second day, worked for me.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    45 in 5.5 months. I ate lots of fresh fruit and veges with chicken mince , turkey mince, rump steak, salmon, perch and chicken breasts are all my staples. I don't eat frozen meals.
  • Bub3les0
    Bub3les0 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi, lean Cuisine's are good taste wise, but the sodium tends to be high in frozen meals. I hate to say it but honestly I ate a lot of fish. Soup is also a good choice. It took me 6 months. Good luck!
  • Nichole90
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Lunch:

Usually a green salad with a bowl of Kashi cereal. It's easy to take to work. For snacks I usually eat a Kashi bar (have I mentioned I love Kashi products?) or raw organic almonds.

Breakfast is usually oatmeal or a homemade protein shake.

Try to grocery shop more often. I go about twice a week. Just buy smaller portions and you can buy and keep things fresh this way. Dig for the salads/greens in the back behind the other bags, you will find "fresher" dates back there... even the ones I buy will be good for about a week. Or even better, buy some heads of lettuce and put them in a lettuce keeper tupperware thing and you can make your own salads and they will be even fresher!
  • krlloyd
    krlloyd Posts: 9
    Options
    Well technically I did, but my target was only 35, it just felt right to keep going. I am actually at -38 today - lots of salt this weekend:) Myfitnesspal has been a great asset. I started Jan 6th, and did my own tracking of food and exercise in a spreadsheet through March. In March, a friend suggested MFP and I transitioned over. I actually lost most of the weight in the first two months, running at about a 1000 calorie deficit per day. ( I lost 30 pounds the first two months)

My exercise target is 45 minutes of hard aerobic exercise ( run, stationary bike , stair climber, elliptical, etc) 6 times a week, and calisthenics ( push ups, sit ups, weights ) 4 times a week.

I have since tapered off - or on as it might be - the calories intake to where i am "about even" with my -1lb a week BMR + exercise calories. 1760+400to800. I think my BMR is actually lower than the MFP calculator predicts, so -1lb a week target seems to keep me about even. I think this may be due to aerobic capacity with the exercise - low resting heart rate.

I now let myself go over once or twice on the weekend, and try to stay about on target the rest of the week. I have found it kind of addictive - the record keeping.

I had to get new pants, and some of my shirts don't really fit anymore, but it was worth it.
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    Hi,

I used to eat chicken breast from oven with raw vegetables in mixed dried herbs. Very tasty and healthy.
    I lost about 50 lbs dieting only, and then added gym.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am close to 40 lbs lost (lost some before MFP) and my wife is over 40 pounds lost. We've been at it for 60 days.

Less than 1600 cals a day of the following

Salad with every veggie you can think of, Romaine is better than iceberg for me, I’ve tried many light dressings, chik-fil-a berry balsamic and kraft light done right French in moderation works great. Spicy salsa makes a good dressing substitute

Fruit – I eat a pound a day

Laughing cow cheese on special K crackers (jalapeno on top for me) less than 100 cals and really good

Barbeque chicken breast (no skin)

Center cut boneless pork chop (really good)

lean small steaks

Season up everything you eat, it helps

Southwestern Egg beaters with potatoes o’brien (easy on the oil), we get the frozen potatoes from Kroger, you get a bunch for very few cals

Spray butter – no cals and it helps turn a toasted light English muffin into a nice treat

Animal crackers (I love them)

Little treats – I eat about 20 jelly belly jelly beans throughout the day – less than 90 cals for that

Klondike slim bear products – 100 cal ice cream treats and they are good

Baked chips (it’s an acquired taste but eventually they are not so bad)

Ronzoni smart pastas – they taste the same to me and they shed a few more cals

Eat anything you want in moderation – I like to do something decadent one time a week but I make sure it fits into my cal goals

Turkey

Brussel sprouts

Healthy choice steam bags (frozen) 300 cals and darn good (sodium is a bit high though)

Limit the regular soda , it is just not worth it.

Turkey sausage and bacon

Broccoli and/or Squash – spray butter and seasoning

Moderate amounts of emerald nuts (the cocoa almonds are great)
  • Nichole90
    Options
    thanks again everyone
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I started in january2011 and lost 45 so far
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!