Sunglasses but not sunglasses

Options
Looking for suggestions.

I need some sun protection eyewear, but don't want to wear sunglasses. I purposely buy contacts so I don't have to wear my glasses when working out. I have tried visors and hats but they don't block enough of the sun and my eyes will still hurt and cause headaches.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? I assume it's not feasible to stay in the shade? What about indoors?

Only other thing that came to mind was eye black like baseball players use... but I doubt that will do enough for you. Might just have to suck it up and deal with sunglasses if it's that bad.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Keep your eyes closed while you workout.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am running and cycling. There is periods of shade on my normal routes but rarely are they all shade. I do some workouts indoors, but outside is so much better. It is far to easy to cut workouts short when running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike. When outside I have to at least get myself back home.

I have been dealing with sunglasses, and its very annoying. My face sweats a lot and I am constantly having to push them up or wipe under them.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I don't really think you have many other options. Sport glasses?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am running and cycling. There is periods of shade on my normal routes but rarely are they all shade. I do some workouts indoors, but outside is so much better. It is far to easy to cut workouts short when running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike. When outside I have to at least get myself back home.

I have been dealing with sunglasses, and its very annoying. My face sweats a lot and I am constantly having to push them up or wipe under them.

You can get a helmet with a visor. That would solve the problem for cycling. For running, I don't know what to suggest. I have the same problem so I run with a visor and find it works. Not sure what else to suggest.

ETA
    I mean more of a sunshield on the visor
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure what you expect to hear. Visors, hats, and sunglasses are it. Unless you want to wait until sundown, or go inside.

They do make sunglasses that are more comfortable for exercising, and with grips that help them stay put when you sweat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest glasses while cycling for safety, if nothing else.

I ride a lot, and I sweat a lot. Glasses that have some sort of rubber earpieces/nose piece stay in place pretty well for me. Maybe try a pair that are made for active people/sports?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for help but not help. So I can fix but not fix my problem. Is there a solution that isn't a solution that would solve but not solve my issue?

What even is "sun protection eyewear" that isn't sunglasses? Isn't that the definition of sunglasses?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Like this
    GiroAirAttackShield640.jpg
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    Options
    I'm not sure what you expect to hear. Visors, hats, and sunglasses are it. Unless you want to wait until sundown, or go inside.

They do make sunglasses that are more comfortable for exercising, and with grips that help them stay put when you sweat.

I was hoping that some with more experience working out outdoors knew of an alternative. I have been searching around the net for a while and having no luck. Here was my last try to find something.

Guess I shall have to suffer or be annoyed with sunglasses. Maybe someday someone will invent something else, tinted contacts or something. LOL

It it probably safer to wear sunglasses when cycling anyhow...

• WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    maybe something with a band...?
    jackson-wildcat-cutting-goggles-with-anti-fog-shade-5-welding-lens-2.jpg
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    Options
    Like this

How many weird looks do you think I would get if I wore this running LOL.

This looks perfect for what I was hoping for, for cycling at least. I shall head over to the Giro site now. Thanks so much.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ^^^^^^ hey - I've got one of those. I think?

Nope different, but that's a good idea.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Go to a reputable bicycle store and purchase some shades designed specifically for road racing. The end of the legs will be rubberized and it will grip your head, making it so they don't slide down.

The nose should also be rubberized to have the same effect.

Also, while cycling, put your helmet on first, do up the fastener, then place your glasses over the straps and over your ears. This will reduce pressure on your temples - unrelated, but useful information anyway.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was never a sunglasses kind of person either until I wore a REAL pair, such a difference in comfort and sight. There's not much of a selection after everything everyone suggested above.

If you do get glasses...Maui Jims are the best for sun protection, great customer service (stationed in Hawaii), great warranty, and they will replace your lens for about $60 IF they scratch/break/wear out so you don't have to buy new frames. Whatever brand you get make sure you get polarized lens! Oakleys are my next suggestion for reasonable price but Maui wins hands down. You can find both brands at Sunglass Hut. You can also go to any Sunglass Hut and they will tighten and clean them up when you need it for free.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Like this

Aren't those thing, like, $700+ and are made for track or time trails?

Very specialized equipment.

I'll second the goggles idea, though a pair of sport sunglasses with rubber grips and a snug fit would work just fine.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Like this

I'll second the goggles idea, though a pair of sport sunglasses with rubber grips and a snug fit would work just fine.

I've never checked the price. I noticed my friend had one on a ride we did last weekend. She's a recreational cyclist and doesn't have a ton of high end gear so I didn't figure it would be hugely expensive. I assumed it cost more than a regular helmet.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    Options
    Like this

$240 US, I just looked. I love the idea, but yeah those may have to wait until I get more serious with cycling. Those are more expensive than the secondhand bike I bought.

The model pictured is for normal road cycling, they have another time trial style as well.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Look at Tifosi sports sunglasses. They are specifically made for running and biking, fit great, are light, dont move or slide no matter how much you are sweating, vent to reduce fogging, and have interchangeable lenses for different light conditions.. http://www.tifosioptics.com/

I wear this pair and they work great ($69.95): http://www.tifosioptics.com/products/1120102701/

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Some welding goggles should be nice and comfortable.

goggles2.jpg