late night snacking

Options
Does anyone have any helpful hints to break the late night snacking habit? Everyday I have good intentions, but I"m having trouble resisting temptation.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Allocate more of your calories towards the end of the day.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Try to fit the snack into your daily goal. Go to bed earlier.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier. :smiley: Or leave room in your calorie goal for an evening snack. Try changing your evening routine. If you normally sit up late with TV or whatever switch to watching from bed. Once you're in bed with your face washed and toothies brushed it may help you resist those late night temptations.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Make certain you are getting enough fat and protein so you feel sated.

What snacks do you choose, and why? A bag of snack chips is "sugar, fat, and salt" and/or a "bag o' calories". Are you wanting more fat and/or more salt? Is your body accustomed to having those?

Are you feeling bored? Hungry? Do you want dessert? Are you prepared to eat a small portion and say "enough"? For me, 1 42-calorie piece of chocolate has a lot of impact and I can stop at just one. Your mileage may vary.

Become hyper-aware of which snacks have how many calories. A cup of berries has about 80 calories, as well as a lot of fiber. A small apple has about 60 calories, and, again, a lot of fiber. A bowl of fruit for dessert or nighttime snack does not mean life sucks.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Save calories for the nighttime!! That way you can still eat whatever snack you want (that fits into your calories, of course). Timing isn't what's important... it's staying within your daily calories is what will help with weight loss. :flowerforyou:
  • jackshumpypeach
    jackshumpypeach Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can be a late night snacked too.
    What helps me.....like the previous poster said, allocate more calories to your evening meal if possible.
    Also keeping busy really helps me in the evening if I'm tempted to nibble. So, cleaning, exercising, taking the dog for an extra walk, going for a shower, even going to bed early with a book.
    Not buying the food you like to snack on most is an obvious choice.
    And drink plenty if water in the evening.

You have to break your old habits. So if you're used to snacking in front of the tv for example, you'll probably find it easier to not snack if you're doing something other than watching TV.

• EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Find things to do with your hands that require keeping your hands clean. Puzzles, correspondence, video games, whatever works for you. I also knit, crochet, and do other string crafts as well.
  • Strawili
    Strawili Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try to save 300-400 calories a day to late night snacking, if you have the calories left it's not going to do any harm to your body. Your body never stop digesting. You could portion off some of your dinner and eat it closer to bedtime, assuming it doesn't affect your sleeping habits. Some people keep high protein/high fibre foods close by and drink a lot of water before bed. I dehydrate quickly so I usually have a large glass of water before hitting the pillows.

You'll find something eventually that works for you, and the cravings might come down after awhile. Everyone is different!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I save calories for a bedtime snack and use them on something that will keep me full until morning but isn't so much that I will have a problem digesting while laying down.

Rolled oats work well for this and I am currently loving:

3fce6037589648953978d1e5636d7f21.png

I mix this ahead of time so the oats "cook" a bit in the yogurt.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I always save around 150 calories to snack on in the evening as I know this is when I pick. I also brought an adult colouring book, I usually eat when I'm bored, this takes my mind of eating and it's very therapeutic :)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I broke my late night eating habit by only eating at the table with full place setting, no TV or phone or tablet. Once dinner is over and the dishes done, the thought of popcorn at the table without electronics just doesn't seem yummy somehow.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make room in your allotment for that late night yum. Prelog your days (helps tremendously).
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I leave about 200-300 calories for a decadent dessert.
    If that doesn't work, I drink 12-16 oz of water or a can of diet soda/calorie free drink.
    If that doesn't work, I floss and brush my teeth.
    If that doesn't work, I go to bed early.

• edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I plan the night snack first. My go-to snack is Cheerios, so I ensure I have available carbs and then work the rest of it in to make it work. If you know your night snack is your weak point, plan it first.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt mixed with berries or popcorn , as long as it will fit into my calories.
  • YamiElisa
    YamiElisa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If I know I've only got a little while longer before bed, I have a piece of sugar free gum. Tides me over until bedtime.
  • tomscudero
    tomscudero Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have this problem? I snack an hour or so before going to sleep, but I wake up two hours later hungry and can't go back to sleep. If I resist, I don't sleep. If I give in and eat (usually a bowl of cereal with some protein powder) I am able to go back to sleep. But I hate to eat in the middle of the night as I am concerned it will hinder my body fat reduction.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    tomscudero wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this problem? I snack an hour or so before going to sleep, but I wake up two hours later hungry and can't go back to sleep. If I resist, I don't sleep. If I give in and eat (usually a bowl of cereal with some protein powder) I am able to go back to sleep. But I hate to eat in the middle of the night as I am concerned it will hinder my body fat reduction.
    Eating in the middle of the night won't hinder your body fat reduction unless it causes you to eat more calories than you otherwise would.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Use some of your calories for a snack at night.

Simple.