Outside running vs treadmill Help!!!

Options
Hey all,
I need both help and advise. Went for a run today for about 10 minutes outside and felt really out of breath. Normally when on the treadmill I can run for around 20 mins @ 7.5-8.5 and only feel slightly out of breath.
I was also thinking if it woulf be worth doing the couch 2 5k training and if so should I start from the beginning when running outside.

Any advise would be appreciated thanks xx

Replies

• belladonnathered
    belladonnathered Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Outdoor running is different in several ways. The terrain is not as smooth, nor is it moving to meet you - all your power needs to move you forwards, as opposed to a treadmill. The air in a gym is generally climate controlled and free of breeze and irritants, which is not the case when you run outside. All of these things make outdoor running harder, but also better for your body. So, your ten minutes outside was worth more than ten minutes on a treadmill :) If you progress to off-road running you will find the same thing, that it becomes harder and you will be able to do 'less' if you measure it against your road and treadmill running. It's because you're pushing your body harder - keep at it!

It could also be that because you were outside your comfort zone you were more hyped or anxious and were breathing less efficiently as a result? I've known that to happen to a few people when they changed from a regular place of exercise to a new one. Sometimes it's also a case of sticking with it and trying to relax :)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You were probably just running a bit too fast as you didn't have the treadmill to regulate your pace for you. Have another go but deliberately set out slowly.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started running yesterday too (as opposed to my normal powerwalking) and i found i was going too fast at first.
    Then i slowed down and it was much better.
    I also found a Running App which i'm going to start to use 'Personal Running Trainer'.
    So maybe have a look at a few of the different apps that are around or indeed, go with the Couch to 5K.
  • suzannehoward2001
    suzannehoward2001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise guys. I think I'm just gonna stick at it, it's got to get easier... right?!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1 - the treadmill will pace you...when you're outside, you have to pace yourself...so likely you were going at a faster pace then you usually do.
    2 - indoors with a treadmill you don't have to contend with varying terrain, weather, elevation changes, etc
    3 - the treadmill gives you some assist...when you're outside, you're 100% propelling yourself.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It will get easier with time. recommend using a heart rate monitor to give you more of an apples to apples comparison on level of effort. Also, you should set the treadmill to 1% to 2% incline to better simulate outdoor running.