Anyone had any luck on Zumba??

Options
I have the Xbox zumba? Anyone lose weight from it?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less calories. Exercise just improves health and fitness with the added bonus of giving you a few extra calories to play with.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Zumba isn't for weight loss, its for fitness.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Zumba is cardio. Great for your heart and lungs. Yes it burns some calories, which should help with calorie deficit.

A well rounded fitness regimen will include strength (resistance) training also. This is great for bone health and maintaining more lean muscle while eating at a deficit.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    There is no luck involved. Work hard, get results.

I did quite a bit of Zumba for several years. It's great cardio, but I find that I still need to lift weights 3x/week. I would recommend taking a live class over doing DVDs or using a gaming system at home.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    There is no luck involved with choosing a fitness approach and you lose weight by eating less calories than you burn during the day.

I know a ton of people who lost weight and did Zumba. It's a great way of getting fit while eating at a deficit. It's more fun in a class than using a DVD or YouTube because it's a dance party. That's why the tag line is: Ditch the Workout, Join the Party.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do zumba classes and love them.

i think a dvd (or similar) would be horrible.

its a group activity and supposed to be fun and interactive.

you lose weight in the kitchen. you gain health in the gym (or errr class)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It's a fun way to get a calorie burn. I didn't lose weight doing it until I actually got myself in a calorie deficit. It's not going to burn away the pounds or anything.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's a fun way to get a calorie burn. I didn't lose weight doing it until I actually got myself in a calorie deficit. It's not going to burn away the pounds or anything.

I am confused - you said it burns calories, then said it's not going to burn away the pounds. Which is correct?

Regardless, maybe it's my location, but I've taken several Zumba classes at different places, including the Y, but couldn't follow the instructor, nor could most of the class. I've stayed with the same instructor twice a week for several weeks and got no better, while watching classmates come and go, as the instructor seemed to make up the steps and music as she went along. Just as I would learn a routine that was used a couple of times in a row, it was replaced with a new one. I'm sure there are better instructors that the ones I have experienced. I would love to love Zumba, but now the only classes offered in my area start at 6:30 or 7:00 at night, which is a bit late for me.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. It's better than therapy for me.

If you are doing Zumba while eating at a calorie deficit, do not... I repeat DO NOT use the Zumba calorie burn from MFP... They are completely over exaggerated. I usually use, "Dancing General," in the cardio section because the calorie burn is more reasonable.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. I go twice a week at the Y. I'd go more if they had more classes lol. It's a great workout and FUN! It's great for fitness, but also great for weight loss. I usually burn 600-800 calories in a class, so that allows me a little more freedom in my diet. If there are any classes nearby, I would suggest those over a dvd. Doing a dvd at home just isn't as exciting and fun as doing it live with a class.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I loved Zumba then had some autoimmune issues and my rheumatologist told me to back off. Ever since then I just can't get back into it. I'd rather lift and do a little running.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have zumba on my wii and love it, although it is a bit dodgy at sensing my movements so i have to docys on just being active rather than doing what it thinks is right. Its fun, and you can choose to just do the songs you like so you get good at them unlike in a class. I'm way to uncoordinated to ever want to go to class haha