Strength training during lunch break

Options
Hi there. My lunch break at work will be changing from 30 minutes to an hour...and I couldn't be more excited! The gym is a 10 minute drive from my work, so I will be spending 20 minutes driving. Between the driving and getting ready for the gym and getting ready to head back on the clock, time wise I can afford a solid 30 minutes in the gym. I will only be strength training. From experience, does anyone see this as efficient and doable? Any other time I spend about 50 minutes at the gym. I am guessing the smartest workouts would be machines and dumbells so I don't have to waste time setting up weights, moving equipment, putting plates away etc..., I was also wondering....I won't have time to shower...I am a girl and I don't get too sweaty...but can you suggest some kind of cleansing wipe I can use for my armpits and back lol? How can I not come back to the office stinky? Lol. Thanks ;)

Replies

• ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight training is the best use of time. I am also a 10 min drive away and I do shower. Highly recommend it! Takes an extra 3 mins. Don't wet ur hair, just rinse off. If you wear heels at work, wear flats to/from your car to shave a couple mins by walking faster. Good luck :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You can get it in and you can use the free weights
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    30 minutes can work if you prioritize the bigger muscle groups (legs, back, chest) using compound exercises (multiple joints move, not 1). NROLFW is a popular program here, but not sure how long it takes. The program in my profile can be done in 30 minutes.

Antibacterial wet wipes will kill the stank-causing bacteria. Arm & Hammer Ultramax deodorant is pretty darn good.

If you work up to heavy weights (recommended), you'll probably sweat more, regardless of your gender. If that's a problem, you can always lift after work. :+1:
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I can get a workout done in 30 mins if I plan. I alternate upper and lower body exercises with no rest in between (so 1 set of lower, straight to one set of upper body, repeat 2 more times, then rest), then a bit of core work at the end (just a couple of mins max). eg, squats and overhead press, hip thrusts and bench press, many combinations to work with here.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Maybe spray deodorant. Degree one smells good. Or do a really quick shower minus hair...
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    5x5 is a good strength program. You probably can't do it all in 30 minutes but once you learn the moves you can split it, so you could do Squat and Deadlift Monday, Bench and Row Wednesday, Clean n Jerk and one other you like Friday. Big compound moves, shifting a lot of weight, building and sculpting muscle.
    Alternatives would be Turkish get ups and push ups and pull ups - I do those in 30 minutes. 2 TGU each side, 10 push ups, as many pulls ups in one go and repeat. You can usually get 4/5 rounds in in 30 minutes with rest in between.
    Pretty much any strength training you can think of can be done in 30 minutes. Mix and match with a few of your favourites or throw in one you hate in the middle. Work on form and technique.
    It's all good fun!
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I train at lunch times, here is what I do: Light weight high rep so typically 15reps X3 sets but done like a circuit with no resting, so a typical workout is: Dumbell squat to shoulder press, leg raise, lateral pull down or bent over row, dumbell lunge walks, press ups or chest press, 30sec plank, Goblet squat, tricep press, dumbell curls. Rest 1 minute, repeat 3 times total. On average this takes me 35minutes, I'm only 5 minutes from the gym so I also have time to do a 10min stretch and grab a 5 minute shower. You can do, but you do need to focus and be time aware, go for it. I am 52 and have done variations of this Monday Wednesday and Friday for the last 30 years:)
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Kind of rude that the OP never agknowledged any of the comments or advice :neutral: