underarm flab

Options
help! i need to get rid of my underarm flab. what are the best exercises to tone up quickly?

Replies

• RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Actually you can't just tone one area up. You have to lose the fat, then you can tone by doing strength exercises like tricep extensions, pushdowns, dips, etc.. but you have to lose fat before anything will tone up.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Just like losing weight, there are no quick fixes.

However, strengthing your biceps and triceps will strengthen and tighten your mucles.

At home, you can do tricep dips on a couch or a coffee table. You can do overhead tricep curls with a lighter weight (3-5 lb.) or a can of soup!

When you're doing strengthening, try doing 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps. You'll build longer muscle fibers, giving the apprearance of long, lean arms.

It'll take about 6 weeks of 2 sessions a week to really begin seeing results. Increase weight when you can do 2 extra reps on the third set.

Oh, I hope I wasn't too wordy! Good luck!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Try this site for weight lifting exercises:
    http://www.sleevelessin7.com/arm-workouts-women-a/
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There are alot of great exercises you can do to tone up your arms - google tricep/bicep excercises...totally agree with post by natskedat :)....and totally disagree with the post about having to loss the fat first before you tone up...you should actually be doing just as much - if not more strength training as cardio in order to see the best results...alot of people neglect the strength training part of getting in shape - and don't worry about getting big muscles, most women are not built to develop big muscles...

One additional tip with strength training - do not train the same muscle two days in a row - you need the day off for your muscle to breakdown and rebuild...and also you should be too sore to train the same muscle two days in a row and if your not, you need to up the intensity :)

feel free to add me as a friend - lol..I have had great results with upper body ...now lower body..that is my struggle :)
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There are alot of great exercises you can do to tone up your arms - google tricep/bicep excercises...totally agree with post by natskedat :)....and totally disagree with the post about having to loss the fat first before you tone up...you should actually be doing just as much - if not more strength training as cardio in order to see the best results...alot of people neglect the strength training part of getting in shape - and don't worry about getting big muscles, most women are not built to develop big muscles...

One additional tip with strength training - do not train the same muscle two days in a row - you need the day off for your muscle to breakdown and rebuild...and also you should be too sore to train the same muscle two days in a row and if your not, you need to up the intensity :)

feel free to add me as a friend - lol..I have had great results with upper body ...now lower body..that is my struggle :)

I didn't say you shouldn't do strength to lose weight, I said you won't see what your doing until you lose fat- hence why someone shouldn't continuously do tricep extensions and push downs and not try to lower their overall body fat percentage. there is no way you will have a high body fat percentage but toned, slim triceps. I will be the first to tell ANYONE to do strength training, but I will not tell someone to try to spot reduce fat to lose the underarm flab. that is impossible.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of times posters say flab or fat when what they are really talking about is loose skin. When you start to loose the fat in your upper arms they start to become very jiggly - in women anyway. I have tricep extended myself to death with little result. I am trying Tracy Anderson Mat Method and have an old school DVD - Callanetics on order. Today I took the grandkids to a lake and canoed around for about an hour. . . I may have found a good workout, my upper arms are starting to be sore already!!!!!
  • nikkialexander828
    nikkialexander828 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i do cardio, usually abot 5 times a week, i just need to tone up!
  • joymarino
    joymarino Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try this site for weight lifting exercises:
    http://www.sleevelessin7.com/arm-workouts-women-a/

Thank you for sharing that link. I was able to try them out, with my hand weights, right in front of the computer...felt the burn!