So scared!

Options
This sounds silly but I'm forcing myself to join my brother at circuit training tonight and I am dreading it! (I'll be going 3 times a week) I'm so scared everyone there will know what they are doing and I'll be the idiot who can't even do a simple push up haha! But I'm defiantly pushing myself to go. I don't really know what to expect my brother said that they do basically everything. I'm pushing myself to loose 2 stone but it's just daunting as I'm not very fit and don't do much exercise so I'm worried about embarrassing myself

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way... least you have someone to go along with that can show you how it's done. Many start out on their own and have to figure it out on their own. Awesome that your bro is helping you out. We're all a bit scared at new things... you'll be loving it before to long. Enjoy :)

It doesn't sound silly at all! :)
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Apart from being tempted to say don't be scared because that won't be very useful, I find that everyone in the gym and in these classes are more concerned with what they doing than what anyone else is. I think especially in circuits because it's quick and intense so you're busy the whole time and not standing around watching people :) Deciding to go is a good first step, and once you've been one time you'll know exactly what to expect! Oh, and I can't do a push up either :)
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    introduce yourself to the instructor, and let them know this is your first time. Unless they're a terrible trainer (and I'm sure your brother wouldn't be encouraging you to join, if he didn't think they catered to newbies), then the instructor has vested interest in making sure you stay safe and within your capabilities. There's no shame in being new at something - I joined a spinning class last week, and the instructor couldn't have been more helpful, first guiding me through equipment set-up, and then checking in throughout the class, offering me modifications when I was struggling with the tougher parts of the workout.

Circuit training is usually geared towards working to your own goals so, if you can only do 5 reps, that's what you do - to the best of your ability. I was horribly unfit 4 weeks ago (well, still am really, but I've seen such an improvement!). It's nervewracking making the first step into the unknown, but it's great you have your brother with you. Don't try to keep up with him, and don't be embarrassed or frightened to ask questions if you're unsure about anything you're asked to do. You're not doing the trainer a favour by showing up - you are paying (presumably) for a work-out, the trainer is there to earn that money by training you correctly, and not scare you so badly that you never return! Be brave, and in a few weeks, you'll wonder why you made such a fuss about going!!! ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Everybody starts somewhere

Circuit training is tough but you do what you can and next time do more

You will lose weight by monitoring your food intake ...exercise is great for cardio-vascular health and musculature and the overall look of the body but you can't out-exercise a bad diet
  • Katiebrown2808
    Katiebrown2808 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone you've made me feel a bit better about going. I suppose once I'm there It won't be as bad as I'm thinking that's why I'm making myself go! I've tried a million diets like shakes and stuff and it gets me no where so I've decided to do it properly this time 3 healthy meals a day, circuit training 3 times per week and taking my daughter out in her stroller (fast paced walking) every day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Youll be fine as long as you have the right mindset, which has been covered above.
    1. People are interested in themselves not you.
    2. You know why you are there.
    3. When you start its more about learning where you are and learning what to do so be patient and expect yourself to struggle a bit, thats just where you are and you will improve. You will never get fitter if you dont go.
    4. If you are nervous then ask your borther what they do and practice some of the exercises at home.
    5. Take it steadily, so push but dont get frustrated and just do your best.
    6. Theres also things like doing push ups on your knees to start with.
    7. Youll be fine, watch other people for form or google it or ask the trainer.
    8. Enjoy it, the fitness improvements will be significant in the first six weeks.
  • Katiebrown2808
    Options
    Thank You that made me feel very motivated! I am not giving up this time
  • Katiebrown2808
    Options
    I did it! & it wasn't as scary as I thought! It was defiantly hard and I felt sick & faint a few times but I pushed past it & didn't over push myself &I really enjoyed it!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I kind of make my own circuit training, sort of. I just do everything in super sets. Rotate 3 or 4 lifts for 3 sets of each move to next super set.
    Have fun. Sweat. And feel your muscles getting stronger :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Everybody starts out stupid. And every person in that class started out stupid. If anyone dares to say anything to you, at least half the class will call that person out. I remember when I first had a PT and couldn't do lunges without holding onto the wall. Then I could do them without holding onto the wall, then I could do them while holding a five pound kettlebell, then a ten pound one. Unfortunately, the class ended, the money ran out, but I can still lunge with a ten pound kettlebell just fine.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I did it! & it wasn't as scary as I thought! It was defiantly hard and I felt sick & faint a few times but I pushed past it & didn't over push myself &I really enjoyed it!

YAY well done!!

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Good on you for going! It is hard to put yourself out there. So glad you enjoyed it! We all start somewhere, before you know it you'll be smashing it at these circuits.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Well done you. It gets easier or should I say familiar. keep some attendance/ performance record and you cna chart your progress which will give you cobfidence.