This scale reading can't possibly be right.

Options
I absolutely hate weighing myself because, historically, it's proven to have been a ridiculously detrimental neurosis. This morning, after two months of purposefully ignoring the scale, I caved and weighed myself. It spit out a reading of a 20 lb. weight gain even though I have visibly slimmed down these past few weeks. To say that I regret giving into my neuroses right now would be an understatement.

I absolutely refuse to let this get me down because I know that scale readings can fluctuate dramatically on any given day--I guess I just happened to cave on one of those days. Rationally, I know that I shouldn't let this get to my head, but it's still pretty annoying.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    20 pounds doesn't seem like a normal fluctuation. It sounds like the scale is wrong or there's something else going on.
  • mhooge
    mhooge Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale too. I avoided weighing for 6 weeks, thinking that I would see a difference. I was so disappointed when I didn't see it move even half a pound. So frustrated that I don't know what else to do. Tracking food and exercise and it's just not budging.
  • zenablakeley
    zenablakeley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all...i am new to the site and am really needing some real personal advice regarding my journey.
    In March this year i started eating healthy 80% of the time with doing about 30 minutes exercise 3 times a week. Being a mom really can restrict ones time.
    Thus far i have only lost about 5kg, i have admittedly dropped a dress size (YAY!) but i feel my weight loss has been so slow over the last 5months!
    I am feeling so frustrated.
    I have now incorpoarted weights into my 30 minutes a day and am trying to exercise 4 times a week instead of 3.
    I joined MyFitnessPal as i realised maybe what i was eating was too much in the day (i am following a basic Paleo lifestyle).
    I started here on 14 July and have not weighed myself since starting (too scared). I will weigh at month end and see what the scale says.
    I really want to see the scale move down and also get fit.

Any suggestions anybody?
    I am 39 year ols female.

Thanks
    Z
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm not pursuing weight loss, just fitness. But it seems to me if you don't step on the scale regularly, you have no way of measuring progress. I can't imagine THINKING I was losing weight for 6 weeks, only to discover all that effort was wasted. A weekly check in would allow you to modify your plans.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you've visibly slimmed down then a gain of 20 pounds on the scale doesn't make sense. Was the scale on an even surface? Could the batteries be dying if it hasn't been used for a few months?
    I'd weigh yourself on a different set of scales to be sure.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I think your scale is probably broken...
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don't get down about it! Use it as a tool to help you in your journey. First -- check and make sure scale is accurate, as someone else said. Next, take measurements of your body. If you are losing weight to improve your health, 'looking visibly slimmer' but being 20lbs heavier might mean your perception of how you look is skewed. Write down on an index card (or MFP!) your neck, bust, underbust, waist, belly button, hips, butt, thigh, calf, and if you want, wrist and bicep ratios. I like to use specific freckles on my thigh/bicep measurements to make sure I am doing it in the same place everytime. For the rest, just do the biggest place (calf, bust) or the smallest (waist, hips). Write down or remember what place you did exactly, and how tight you held the measuring tape.

Now, make sure you've been honest with yourself in calories in/calories out. You see this advice here all the time so it's up to you if you think you've been cheating a bit. Get a food scale, be conservative with calories, don't double-count exercise (ie. don't put 'active' and then also log every workout. choose one or the other). Etc etc!

If you do feel sure that you have been accurate, then good for you because I feel like that's the hardest part. The scale is actually very telling and helpful, in this case. That means that you might have a slower metabolism than MFP predicts (it can vary up to +/- 300 calories, from what I've gathered [though I am not citing any sources, just a disclaimer]). Time to cut back on the calories or amp up the exercise. Try doing -100 everyday for a week or two -- see if the scale or measurements budge. No? Then -200 from what you're doing now. Repeat until you find your sweet spot!

You mentioned having some sort of psychological block with the scale. I'm obviously not qualified to give any advice there, but in my opinion, I think it would be helpful to weigh yourself more often. I weight myself everyday at the same time in the same circumstances. I am comfortable now with all the fluctuations (it's usually less than a pound) and understand them and my body better. The scale isn't the enemy, it's just telling me the objective truth! Plus if you are very heavy, then this *is* one of the most important measurements, as putting less pressure on your joints, heart, etc by actually having less lbs of fat on you is the aim, and not really for appearances.

Lastly, I have no idea your exercise regime, but if you do strength training then it is possible some of the weight came on in muscle mass. This would explain looking slimmer but weighing more. However, I kind of doubt this, because you can only put on a small amount of muscle per year (what, like 10lbs for women?) and that's with intense heavy weightlifting, protein and nutrition emphasis, etc. It isn't really something you can do by accident (save for labor-intensive jobs).

I hope this helped!! Good luck!! Add me if you want a new friend/motivator ! :)

Also Edit -- did this person delete their account? I get an error when I click their username :/
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Yeah, looks like one post and gone.
  • ano463s
    ano463s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The weight is there every day regardless of whether or not you look at it on the scale, so why not take away the scale's power and just look daily? Then you can get an idea in general of how you're doing, and become more accustomed to your body's normal rhythm of gains and losses (scale goes up at this time of the month, and when I eat this, etc). That way you aren't surprised by the water weight gains (because you're consistently seeing them, so they lose power), but you can also see the trends (there are several websites & apps out there that help with the trend tracking) to see if it's going the direction you'd like.

I agree that it doesn't make much sense that you'd lose a lot of size, and gain 20 lbs, in the same 2 months. It's difficult to say what's actually happened because we don't have much data to work with since there weren't any weigh ins during the 2 months. It does make sense, though, to think back and see if you weighed yourself on the same scale, in the same place, at the same time, etc to make sure you weren't weighing in on different scales or something. And test your scale by stepping on and off several times in a row to see if it gives you a consistent reading or if it fluctuates. If you can't have gained/lost in the 2 seconds since the last reading, and it shows a difference, then the scale is ready for the trash.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I think your scale is probably broken...

This ^^

If it's electronic, replace the batteries and make sure it is on a level solid surface away from heat and cold. If it's not electronic it might be time to buy a new one.

Measuring inches/centimeters lost is a much better way to measure progress IMO. If you are getting smaller and stronger then who cares what the scale sales. People see you, not the number on a scale.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options

I have no idea if this person will be back or not, but I find it truly weird that the deadline given seems to be a half hour before it is decided the original poster has jumped into the void never to be seen again.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »

I have no idea if this person will be back or not, but I find it truly weird that the deadline given seems to be a half hour before it is decided the original poster has jumped into the void never to be seen again.
    The account is deleted. What other evidence would you like?

• Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options

Mea culpa! I assumed based upon other conversations on these forums and did not actually check. That was dumb.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

That's weird...I hope the malevolent scales didn't get them...