Food Scale help

Options
So I am thinkng a food scale would really help with my weight loss. So I have been looking on Amazon and there are so many! Does anyone have any suggestions? Or at least what to look for in a scale? Features they wish they had and ones they didn't use? Well all help and input are appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think a digital scale is best for accuracy.
  • JennieBennie7
    JennieBennie7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ct5oamylyurs.jpg
    I absolutely love the scale i bought at Weight Watchers. I can weigh things in grams or ounces, in containers or not. It has features for calculating WW points which I don't use since I love MFTP and use it instead of the WW system now. I believe I paid about $30. I'd bet you could find it online. Best wishes! I'll try to post a picture. This is the first time
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    The Ozeri digital scale came highly recommended on here (and has very high reviews on amazon). I recently purchased it to replace my old one and am very satisfied. It has a tare feature and easily toggles between grams, ounces and ml. I'm happy with it. eulo57vie37q.jpg
  • JennieBennie7
    JennieBennie7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It may look complicated but it is super simple. The only buttons I have been using are the "ON/OFF" which is on the lift side, the "g/oz" to switch between gram and ounce measurement and "zero" to zero the scale of i use a bowl or other item rather than placing the food directly on the scale.

Have a great day!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've been using this one that I purchased on sale at Target. I saved an added 5% with my Target Red card. No problems at all with it. The reviews were right in that it is very accurate and simple to use. target.com/p/taylor-digital-food-scale/-/A-11011109
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I have this one and it's very nice and simple. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BDS2X2G/?tag= taylorusacom-20

All I need is a g/oz option and a tare button (e.g. zeroing out dishes or other things on the scale). It's also nice to have it be lightweight. The only thing that I don't like about my current scale is that it's a little annoying to clean if things get too far under the platform or on the screen.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So I am thinkng a food scale would really help with my weight loss. So I have been looking on Amazon and there are so many! Does anyone have any suggestions? Or at least what to look for in a scale? Features they wish they had and ones they didn't use? Well all help and input are appreciated. Thanks!!

Stay away from the Walmart model - it's a little difficult to use. Ozeri's models on Amazon are very user friendly and have grams and ounces and top side accessible buttons. Very affordable too.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1437482945&sr=1-7&keywords=food+scale

It took about 1 year to burn through the batteries, which is decent. The only things you need in a food scale are:
    -Tarre button: Used to zero-out the scale so that it automatically subtracts the weight of the bowl, spoon, whatever
    -The ability to toggle between measurements you will use. I most frequently use grams and ounces.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Now I guess another question. I am noticing all of these have a weight platform. I have seen a lot that look like one solid piece. Does that make a difference? Is it something I should look for? I was almost thinking the slim design might be nice so I can just slide it into my drawer with my cutting boards so it isn't in the way.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. Get one that has a tare button and grams/ounces option.

However, the one feature I really wish I had was a pull-out display. If I put a large opaque bowl or plate on my scale, it's hard to see the read-out. When mine dies, I'll buy one like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-5-Pound-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B0020L6T7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437483748&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale+pull+out+display