Anyone else using a concept 2 rower?

Options
Just purchased a concept 2 rower a week ago, brilliant machine. Been using it for 10 mins a day first few days and did 20 mins yesterday. Still working on my technique and slightly unsure what is the best resistance setting to use but its early days yet, really enjoying it.

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Concept 2 posts workouts of the day on their site. And once your form is good, try working up to this one:

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Rowing-Machine-Interval-Workout-1883592

It hurts, but it's a good hurt. ;)
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Concept 2 also has a very good form video. My fav workout is the 30:30 interval training.
  • DaveAFC79
    DaveAFC79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not quite ready for that yet lol might give it a go in a few days.

Yeah have watched a few of those videos, got some good drills to do I should try them.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article on the damper setting on a C2 rower: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101

• DaveAFC79
    Options
    Great article, thanks
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're doing the right thing working on form first......I use mine 2 or 3 times weekly (x-training) and have found it really helps me get over hard runs.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    So glad to find this post. I am buying one and hope to have my the end of the month. Fell in love with them at Crossfit, and with my knee not loving running anymore I am hoping adding rowing to my weekly routine will help me get me to my goals!
  • golgoroo
    golgoroo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for years and still going strong. I adore it!
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Use one at home and crossfit. Love it! It is a great alternative when my knees are bothering me.
  • DaveAFC79
    Options
    Got mine a few weeks ago its well worth the money. My knees arent a big fan of running either so its a great way to workout still
  • edavis27
    edavis27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    when i rowed at college we used concept 2 and i honestly cant use anything else. I'm a fan of 500 meter sprints with 2 minute rests for 10 intervals. really quick way to kick your *kitten*
  • jjburger77
    jjburger77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    edavis27 wrote: »
    when i rowed at college we used concept 2 and i honestly cant use anything else. I'm a fan of 500 meter sprints with 2 minute rests for 10 intervals. really quick way to kick your *kitten*

I assume your 500 meter sprint was crazy fast! I know just doing it in under 2 minutes nearly kills me and that is just one! I couldn't imagine doing 10!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    imho the best home gym kit you can buy, utterly bombproof.
  • DaveAFC79
    Options
    Will have to give that a try, not sure about 10 though lol
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article from an Olympic rower which said they row using setting 7 as its the closest to real water resistance. I'm using mine more recently due to a foot issue and not being able to do any weight bearing exercise i.e. walking or running. The only complaint I have is the seat could use a bit of padding!
  • DaveAFC79
    Options
    I was using 7-10 at first because I'm quite strong and had very little knowledge about rowing, but then read that 5 is probably best. I'm sure you can buy a seat pad for it from the concept website
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I bought a rower last month and now do at least 30 mins a day, 5/6 times a week. Some days, when I am off I either do an hour or 10,000 meters. It has been a big help as lost 25 kgs now since last September. Started at the gym using the rower and then had to get my own for home. No more excuses not to go to the gym, just go home to one. Love it.
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To lilmissmanx; The only complaint I have is the seat could use a bit of padding!

Look for pads on this link-http://godfrey.co.uk/product/stock-ergo-grip
    I bought one and it does help!
  • DaveAFC79
    Options
    Was thinking about getting one but from what I've seen the seat pad that concept make has got some really bad reviews, Skwoosh seem to make a good one
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    Another commercial seat pad folks seem to like is JeL Pad from JLRacing.com. Or, grab and old closed-cell-foam sleeping-bag pad and a pair of scissors, and make your own like I did. (Even open-cell foam will work if you never take it on the water. :) )

The Concept 2 article on resistance setting posted above by JohnBarth is a good one. Short form: Set on 3-5 for most people, most of the time. Div I collegiate women rowers I sometimes work out with will typically use a setting around 4, the collegiate men a bit higher. I'm a fairly strong woman (but old - 59) and usually use 3-3.5.

One problem is that, far too often, people using the rower don't get good technique instruction and don't know how to get a good workout without cranking the resistance to a silly level (the machine at my Y is *alway* on 10!). If you don't have a qualified rower teacher, or a good Crossfit coach, definitely use Concept 2's technique videos. Many trainers don't teach rowing correctly! Compare your pace per 500 meters (your "split") to others your age on the Concept 2 site (http://log.concept2.com/rankings.asp) to see whether you're in the ballpark. Join the Concept 2 site (free) and do some of the challenges throughout the year to keep your motivation up. (Dog Days of Summer challenge starts August 1.)

In response to a previous poster: The resistance in actual rowing varies with boat type, and with the weight and perhaps most significantly) strength of the individual rower, so there's no one number that is equivalent to "real water resistance". (7 may well be right for an Olympic rower in his regular boat type.)

P.S. I'm an on-water rower, use my C2 off season, previously held level 2 coaching certification from USRowing, get coaching from collegiate coaches, have competed (and medaled) on-water and in rowing machine races (yes, it's a thing). Not intending to say my opinions are unassailable, but want to document that I'm not just wildly speculating.