Eating before running

Options
Hi, I just started on MFP and I'm back to running. My goal is to lose some weight.

A typical day of running for me is waking up at 5:40, giving myself a few minutes, warm up and run. For now is about 20 to 30 minutes running but I will run longer.

So, my question is, do you eat before an acitvity like this? If so, what?

Thanks

Replies

• sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the show!
    I do not eat before my morning runs but I do eat right after them. My morning routine consists of a Mr. Hyde Pre Workout drink, a 5:00 A.M. run for 5 miles, come home and stretch while drinking Ultra fiber DX and Isopure protein.
    Good Luck,
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It depends. On an early morning run of that distance I would not eat before it. I will have a better run if I don't. If it's a longer run 90 min+ I will generally eat something in the morning but I will also give more time between eating and the run, say 30 minutes or so. Even then it's something light.

Find out what works for you, the best way to do it is to experiment. I often eat a bagel thin with some peanut butter or jam on it. Oatmeal and a banana works too.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you're properly fueling throughout the day you will then have enough stored fuel for at least 60 minutes of exercise.

Eating before running is a personal choice. Some go fasted ... some eat a piece of fruit ... others a bagel and peanut butter ... candy bar ... energy gel. A lot goes to what an individual's stomach tolerates. If you're not bonking on your runs, then you really don't need to fuel before hand. If you are, find what food works for you ... just keep within your net caloric goal.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    before a 20-30 minute run? typically i do eat. i usually have a cup of coffee, and i sometimes have a banana.

before a longer run, i'll only have coffee.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast before I run, typically a cheddar bagel. I usually wait about a half hour after eating, and ideally poop first, but never had any digestive problems. I tried running before breakfast. Didn't like it.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    i'll have a small handful of nuts (or a spoonful of peanut butter) but usually, anything more than that clunks about unpleasantly in my stomach and can give me heartburn, more cramps, sluggish feeling, etc.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a little different, but if I'm running 6 miles or less I won't eat before an early morning run. Just a few sips of water and I'm out the door.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I run 30 minutes in the morning without eating before. Sometimes I'll have 1/4 cup of coffee. If I were running farther, I might have a small piece of fruit beforehand.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I just got up and ran when I did so in the mornings. I can't eat & run right away, and I wasn't going to get up much earlier just to do so. I never had any problems
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I get stitches if I eat anything before I run. I have to eat three hours before. I guess it's personal preference and what your body does or doesn't like.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I would try not to eat for at least 30-60 minutes before going out for a run.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I run at 5:30am, I eat a caffeine pill, a benadryl, and 8oz of water 15-20 minutes before heading out for a 4-7 mile run. If it's longer then I eat a GEL as I leave the house.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I might have some coffee but I try not to eat. I can probably go for about 2 hours before I need food and I don't like the feeling of needing to use the bathroom.
  • e5412
    e5412 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    On my morning runs, I'll typically just do gels if I'm running more than 1 hour. Then I'll do 1 gel before I start, and one every 40 minutes or so after that.

If I'm eating actual food, I'll do a banana with peanut butter on it, or a piece of toast with peanut butter. Much more than that doesn't work for me. So, just experiment and see what works for you.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I gave it try on an empty stomach and it was much better. I'll only eat if I wake up starving
  • youtastelike
    youtastelike Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't eat before morning runs. When I run in the afternoon/evening I also need 1.5-2 hours after the last meal in order to be OK while running. Something which is small and absolutely without fibers may work though. If you'll do longer runs then I think you might want to refuel with a gel after 50-60 minutes or have a sports drink during the morning run. Have a nice time with MFP and running!
  • thitemple
    thitemple Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I wasn't eating before running and I think I'll try and keep it that way! It seems it's what's working for most people.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to see what works for you, but I've found that I can't eat before running. Whether I'm running first thing in the morning, or late at night, I prefer very little or no food for the 2 to 3 hours prior to running. If I were to eat before running, I'd have to get up too damn early on a morning run.

Sunday I went out early on what I thought would just be a 6 mile run but I was feeling so good and the trail was so nice I just kept going. Ended with over 9 miles in just under 2 hours with no food prior and only one water break at the 7 mile mark.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run fasted in the mornings unless it's late in a training cycle and the Sunday runs are going over 90 minutes. Personally I don't like running with food in my stomach but it doesn't bother some people.....trial and error. Certainly for now, assuming you're eating enough carbs, you don't need to eat anything (I do have my coffee before heading out the door but that is more a case of kick starting my brain......)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do eat before if I'm really humgry or if the run is going to be long or hard. Lately that has been coffee with a bagel and cream cheese 45 min or so before I run.