Running Safety

Options
I live in an urban area, and about 2 months ago discovered a gem: a wooded park with trails. I was getting such joy from morning runs there, and felt perfectly safe. But after talking to a running group there, I did another news search and discovered the park's occasional taser rapist.

I haven't gone jogging there since, and I miss it so badly.

How do you judge whether it is safe to run in a certain area?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by safe? There are so many different kinds of dangers when running. Are you more likely to get nabbed by a rapist with a taser on trails, or hit by a distracted driver crossing a street?

In the city where I grew up and went to college, I'd run in the awesomesauce park if there were occasionally other people around (because all the parks were patrolled by security and it was a city, so there were people to, you know, be around). Where I live now, my benchmark is, if I see cops patrolling the area, stay out. Because our police force is small and there aren't that many other people.

If it makes you feel better, run with a buddy or a group or a dog.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    In this case, it is the possibility of attack that concerns me. I felt safe in that park before, and considered drivers on the road a bigger threat than a possible attacker.

Learning that there has been a specific rapist targeting women running right where I was running made me reconsider doing it. I think the chance of me being attacked is tiny, but the consequences are so huge...

There would be people in the park in the morning, but very few. And it's a forest, so there is little visibility.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    "I did another news search and discovered the park's occasional taser rapist."

Well...unless he has been caught, let's go with not safe. Join the running group you talked to, or find a buddy, but I wouldn't go to that park alone. For me, I know the areas I run in. Usually it's either by work (very safe, lots of people, crappy uneven sidewalks) or in a park I know (low attendance, but usually park employees there, mostly open areas so people can see you while running). But in general, I'm not too worried when I'm running. I guess ignorance is bliss LOL.
  • demoiselle2014
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hadn't been caught. The rapist has not been seen in 2 years, but there was a 2 year gap between his attacks in the past, too, so that doesn't mean he's gone for good.

I may join the group. I am such an introvert, though, the bliss of running was about being alone in the woods.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Find a running buddy.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Hadn't been caught. The rapist has not been seen in 2 years, but there was a 2 year gap between his attacks in the past, too, so that doesn't mean he's gone for good.

I may join the group. I am such an introvert, though, the bliss of running was about being alone in the woods.

I did a group run for the first time a couple weeks ago. I still ran "alone". There was a faster group ahead of me, and a slower group behind me, but no one at my exact pace, so I was essentially by myself. I would think you would be fine doing something similar.

• demoiselle2014
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Find a running buddy.

I wish I could borrow a very large dog! (I don't know anyone with a large dog.)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Find a running buddy.

I would endorse adopting a tibetan mastiff

maxresdefault.jpg

but, the buddy could be human too.

• demoiselle2014
    Options
    Find a running buddy.

The buddy could be human too.

I know. Introvert thing, though. Perhaps I can find a human somewhere in this massive city...
  • MrsR130
    MrsR130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Since the park is not busy with little visibility, I would definitely find another place to run. It just isn't worth it: running with mace, no headphones, hyper-alert, and the risk something could go wrong would completely ruin the entire run and put you in unnecessary danger.

I belong to a few running groups, but run by myself most times. It is nice to have routes planned out (and checked for safety!), runners in front and behind you, etc. Don't feel like you have to be BFFs with everyone there - everyone has their own goals about what the group does for them and many are there for a quick pre-run chat and the planned route.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    pepper spray?
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    pepper spray?

I doubt I could be faster with pepper spray than this guy is with a taser, coming out of the woods. Groups and buddies it is. I am glad my other local park is open and busy.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    MrsR130 wrote: »
    Since the park is not busy with little visibility, I would definitely find another place to run. It just isn't worth it: running with mace, no headphones, hyper-alert, and the risk something could go wrong would completely ruin the entire run and put you in unnecessary danger.

I belong to a few running groups, but run by myself most times. It is nice to have routes planned out (and checked for safety!), runners in front and behind you, etc. Don't feel like you have to be BFFs with everyone there - everyone has their own goals about what the group does for them and many are there for a quick pre-run chat and the planned route.

Thank you. This is encouraging.
  • LadyShepherd15
    LadyShepherd15 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If I get an unsettling feeling in my stomach, I trust it. Whether it be that cars drive too fast down a road with no sidewalk or if I feel that somebody is watching me. I trust myself and try to reduce dangerous situations as much as possible.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    safety is a relative thing, but statistically speaking you are in more danger of being attacked by a dog then a rapist. We tend to view attacks by people as particularly devastating due to the personal nature of it. If it makes you feel better to run in a group or to carry some form of protection, do so. As always your best defense is to be aware of your surroundings and if it doesn't feel right get out of there.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    You could potentially find someone with a big dog and volunteer to take them for runs. I mean, people pay to get their dog walked so if you volunteered for free, you never know.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Find a running buddy.

maxresdefault.jpg

HAHAHA What a cute puppy lol. I love big dogs. I would also endorse getting a German Shepherd, in case you don't have 10 acres to let the behemoth above roam around :wink:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    no one bothers me with my collie mix. she doesn't appear to be the most friendly dog
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    las07s wrote: »
    Find a running buddy.

maxresdefault.jpg

HAHAHA What a cute puppy lol. I love big dogs. I would also endorse getting a German Shepherd, in case you don't have 10 acres to let the behemoth above roam around :wink:

I'm in NYC! And in a no dog building, with a no dog spouse....

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Find a running buddy.

The buddy could be human too.

I know. Introvert thing, though. Perhaps I can find a human somewhere in this massive city...
    I hear you on that. I would much rather run alone. I often carry a canister of dog spray when I trail run (mace is illegal here in Canada), however there are no known predators in the area that I'm aware of, I just feel safer with dog spray.
    Sorry to say it, but if there is a known criminal praying on women in that area, I'd avoid it until the guy is caught.

Or....and this is a random thought....maybe you could post on Craigslist or something that you would be willing to borrow someone's dog to take for the occasional run? You have a buddy, and the owner doesn't have to walk their dog that day. Win-win. Might be weird, but it could work.