Other people's goal weight/measurements for their height have no bearing on yours

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
They can't because

It is genetics that determines frame size and where you carry fat
Bone density and musculature affects scale weight as does water weight
People's idea of the perfect aesthetic is different
We don't have a scale weight, we have a scale weight range of around 5lbs usually because of natural water weight fluctuations

One person at your height might look amazing 30lbs heavier than you do does that mean you should weigh more or less than them?

I get that it's human nature to want to compare yourself with others, to have support that your goal is the correct one and to feel that you're normal

I weigh heavy but I'm happy with my body, if I took notice of the average "weight" goal I wouldn't be

Have fun but remember it's relatively nonsensical to compare your own weight with someone of the same height

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Very true! BMI says I should weigh no more than 135lbs at 5'2"

I was 135lbs wearing a size 8 when I was 20 years old. I now realize that I was skinny-fat. 20 years later, I'm 187lbs wearing a 10/12. When I can legit fit a size 10, with minimal muffin top, I'm done losing weight. No matter what the scale says.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Agreed...I weigh heavy. Not outside BMI but I know when people ask me what I weigh and I tell them 148...they don't believe me...I wear a size 4....

I am happy where I am but I know other women my age, height and weight will look much differently than me....

It can set people up for disappointment if they try to compare themselves to others...as it is with life in general.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Exactly this. I have a 10-pound range as to where my goal weight is, on the medium-to-high end of a healthy BMI. Once I reach the first number, I'll determine if I want to drop any more.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    I always find it interesting to see the range of weights people are aiming for at my height. It doesn't have any bearing on my goals, but I find it fascinating.

For me - my first goal is 140 and I will go on from there or not, depending on how I feel and look.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Not to mention height! I always giggle a bit when someone complains of being obese at my goal weight. It's not an insult folks, she's like 8in shorter than me!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Not to mention height! I always giggle a bit when someone complains of being obese at my goal weight. It's not an insult folks, she's like 8in shorter than me!

Ditto to that. "What? Your aim is to weigh 170lbs? Why?" "Because if I weighed the same as someone who came up to my boobs, I'd disappear when you looked at me side on"
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Ditto to that. "What? Your aim is to weigh 170lbs? Why?" "Because if I weighed the same as someone who came up to my boobs, I'd disappear when you looked at me side on"

Yeah, I've a friend who has a goal weight if 90lbs. She's 4'9". At 5'8" I think I'd be in the hospital at her goal weight!

Other way around, my goal weight range of 135-150 is obese on her. It's amazing what 11in weighs!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    I always find it interesting to see the range of weights people are aiming for at my height. It doesn't have any bearing on my goals, but I find it fascinating.

That's why I love http://www.mybodygallery.com You can see how different real people look at the same height & weight.
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So many people need to hear this. Right after I reached my goal weight, I went through a shorties' thread about goal weights and started freaking out about how long it'll take for me to get to 100 pounds. But then I realized that I no longer have to do that "hide your gut with a throw pillow" trick while sitting down, which was honestly one of my goals.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    More people should see this.

I had to stop before I hit my ultimate weight goal. It was a pretty common weight goal but for my body and the way I carry weight, it would've been too lean for what I was actually happy with.

It can work the reverse too. Before I was doing any lifting, I hit my initial weight goal and I was pissed. Not at all what I hoped for. Realized body fat percentage was a better determining factor for what I ultimately wanted.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    yeah, I definitely needed to read this. I'm 5'4" with a medium to large frame, but I have a very large framed ribcage. so, my goal weight (at least for now) would still put me in the overweight category since healthy BMI for 5'4" is like... 110-145 or so. Seeing the threads about 5'4" goals bummed me out a little the other day. So, it's nice to remember to just focus on me and see how I am carrying weight as I go.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    They can't because

It is genetics that determines frame size and where you carry fat
    Bone density and musculature affects scale weight as does water weight
    People's idea of the perfect aesthetic is different
    We don't have a scale weight, we have a scale weight range of around 5lbs usually because of natural water weight fluctuations

One person at your height might look amazing 30lbs heavier than you do does that mean you should weigh more or less than them?

I get that it's human nature to want to compare yourself with others, to have support that your goal is the correct one and to feel that you're normal

I weigh heavy but I'm happy with my body, if I took notice of the average "weight" goal I wouldn't be

Have fun but remember it's relatively nonsensical to compare your own weight with someone of the same height

giphy.gif

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that comparison is useless in the case of some heavier people who may have never been a "normal" weight before. In cases like that it can be tremendously helpful to get an idea of what other people their height and frame look like and what their goals are, as you can't really say "oh, xxx pounds would be too skinny for me" if you've never been even close to that weight before.

I don't think there's much point comparing smaller differences because of the reasons you've outlined, namely that body fat percentage/musculature, frame, and aesthetics vary, but when someone who's always been overweight or obese sometimes it's very difficult for them to have a realistic goal weight in mind, and that's where comparison comes in. I participate in those threads occasionally, but when I give my stats I also mention what kind of exercise I do, my approximate body fat %, and my age, shape and build because I know that what I consider ideal for my body is not the same for someone who lifts heavy, has larger bone structure, etc etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This needs more bumps.
  • happytamara
    happytamara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more, I am 5'7 and weigh 125lb and look perfectly healthy, yet my friend who is also 5'7 weighs 140lb, and if she lost much weight she'd be skeletal!