3 hours of cooking!

Options
Hey MFP!
Hope everyone is doing great and staying motivated!

So, I posted a topic about frozen Kashi dinners as to whether they are worth buying/are healthy. Well today I decided that it would be cheaper if I just bought items in bulk and cook them myself and make pre-made meals and freeze them!

I spent three hours cooking and chopping in my kitchen....i'm not done yet, but here is what i got going.

1 whole box of whole wheat pasta (cooked)
1 whole box of pilaf (cooked)
1 bag of the mini-multi colored potatoes (boiled)
1 Bag of red and green bell peppers (chopped)
1 Head of broccoli (chopped)
1 Bag of carrots (raw wrapped in foil - in fridge)

I plan on putting everything in Tupperware and labeling them with date/calories per serving.
Do you think this is a good idea vs buying the frozen meals?

Thanks!
M.

Replies

• karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sound great! Probably cheaper. If the convenience helps you eat better and stay on your plan - then go with it!
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    It probably is cheaper and at least you know what all you are putting into your meals, too. :) And you can also make your own serving sizes! :P That's A LOT of cooking!
  • Rachel6901
    Rachel6901 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always prefer cooking that way for several reasons...Overall it's going to be less time cooking and of course CLEANING!!! Then I don't have the excuse of "convenience" on a busy day, I can just defrost and eat. I hope you like it overall and keep it up. I need to actually separate into individual meals, that's a better idea than what I had been doing. Though I do like to keep leftovers in the fridge as well.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea. That way you know exactly what is going into your meal, and you can control the portion sizes.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Definitely a great idea!!! Much healthier, you can control all portions and content, plus it's cheaper than pre-packaged. Looks delicious!
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    So I am finally finished cooking and packing things away!

I do not know how to post pictures here so I uploaded them to my profile pictures. Check them out :D

M.
  • andreaanguiano93
    Options
    It s cheaper! Just make sure to not let the veggies stay too long without eating them; they eventually will lose certain nutrients.