How to get more fiber

Options
Hi Everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I am feeling much better and now I am trying get more fiber into my diet. I thought salad would be a good source of fiber, but apparently I was mistaken lol! Does anyone have any suggestions on what foods (aside from beans) that I could eat to help me reach my goal of 38g of fiber per day? Thanks so much!!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Beans, fruit, high fiber cereal or bread, Fiber Gourmet pasta (up to 80% of your daily fiber, 1/2 the calories of regular pasta). My goal is 45g per day and I usually meet it or come close with these as my main sources.

Adding flax or chia seeds can also up your fiber intake.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    beans beans beans. Salads/veggies are good for fiber, too. But I'd throw some black beans or something on top as well for not only protein but fiber. Avocado is also very high in fiber, if I'm not mistaken. So, add that on there, too =)
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Dannon Oikos triple zero greek yogurt has 6 or 7 grams of fiber. It's been one of my go to foods to increase my fiber.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    broccoli, cauliflower, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, carrots, beets, are all excellent sources of fiber. I eat high fiber wraps instead of bread for sandwiches. I eat cottage cheese mixed with fiber one cereal and blueberries for breakfast, that alone is 19 grams of fiber (and super delicious; when my kids see me eat it they beg for bites).
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Salad IS good, depending on what you make the salad with. Baby spinach, broccoli, avocado, other veggies that are high in fiber. Beans are excellent, also lentils, quinoa, high-fiber bread, many fruits.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ohh! I now crust my chicken & fish with psyllium husks blended with dried spices. I also add psyllium husk to my smoothies.

I love having huge breakfast smoothies that I nurse all morning... This one tastes sweet & delicious:
    1.5 C kale
    1.5 C spinach
    1 banana
    0.5 C strawberries (sliced)
    0.5 C blueberries
    2 Tbsp psyllium husks

Blend until smooth (maybe adding a small amount of water if it is too thick for you)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'll go with non-seeded fruits and veggies.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by how much fiber that corn on the cob has! I've been upping my fiber, too, and corn on the cob, chick peas, chia added to my oatmeal, apples & strawberries, figs & nuts have all helped me get the numbers up.
  • vgosnell
    vgosnell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is it safe to eat corn on the cob? I thought that was one of the restricted food items.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Go for as much variety in fruit and vegetables as you can - pile your plate high with them and you'll get your 38g with calories to spare. Try to make sure you get a mixture of soluble (bulks out or gels when water is added) and insoluble - they perform different functions in the body. Soluble helps you to feel full, and insoluble helps to get everything moving. If you just have soluble fiber, you might end up constipated. Luckily, most fruits and veggies have both. Whole grains are also a great source of fiber, but you can "cheat" and just add grain bran (wheat or oat etc.) to food you'd eat anyway.

Oh and go easy on the beans to start with - it can take your gut a while to get used to any change in diet and fiber is not different.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Oh and good luck with the diverticulitis. My MIL has it, so I know how distressing it can be.
  • Sirius_12
    Sirius_12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I understand you have to avoid seeds and nuts with diverticulitis, as these foods can aggravate the condition. Soluble fiber is probably better for you. High pectin fruits such as apples and pears. Oatmeal and especially oat bran is very high in soluble fiber.
  • vgosnell
    vgosnell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm seeing the gastroenterologist today and I'm going to discuss these options with
    her.