Is it all the sugar?

Options
RyvreTam
RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
I have what I call a sugar belly. It has gone down, I can tell, but it's still sticking way out there more than I'd like. I have muscular legs, my arms are an appropriate size, my back is flat. I hate this. The rest of my body can fit in smaller pants, but I still can't wear them because of the massive amount of belly hang-over.

My diet is not perfect. It has gotten better, but I know I'm not doing exactly as I should. I guess I'm answering my own question, that I know better. No matter how much my brain tells me what I should be doing, I'm still frustrated when I do it wrong. With anything you want to quit, you have to WANT it. I don't want to quit sugar. I drink regular soda, I get energy drink cravings, ice cream. I have cut back so much since I began dieting.

So I guess what I'm asking is, does all the things I'm not supposed to eat going straight to the last place I want it? Or as I continue to lose weight, my belly will go down as well?

Edit: I should add that I run and walk to work out. I also know I'm not doing what I should for exercise either I guess. I swear I tried again to do a video yesterday and didn't get half way through it out of boredom.

Replies

• jmschweer
    jmschweer Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the same issue, I have had this belly every since I was in my pre-teens. My parents never limited my sugar intake when I was younger. Now that I'm serious about losing weight and getting into shape its coming off everywhere but there. I, like you, still drink regular soda and consume sugary foods.

Hopefully someone can help us both out! :wink:
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Carbs have a nasty habit of settling in the tummy area. The only way I've ever had any success taking off belly fat was a low carb diet--NO sugar or all things white. Take it from a former junk food junkie. The sugar craving will go away. For about 3 days though, its like coming off drugs, but well worth it.

Sometimes genetics deals us a bad hand. Body type could have some to do with it too.
  • breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body type. But my belly has gotten smaller as Ive lost, my curse is that it hangs over, so it flattens then shrinks UP making it round out again, to start flattening again. If that is where youve held most of your weight its very likely that will be the last place you lose. You can always up your cardio to help it come off faster, and add strength training to your routine. Strong muscles all over your body are always a good thing, but you have to remember your ABS arent just the tummy, they are your sides and wrap around into your back, so by strengthening your abs you strengthen your back as well.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Different body types carry weight differently. it's just how we are made. You like will have to do exercises designed to focus on your problem area along with better eating and possibly a good pair of spanx.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much the same body type. My belly has gone down since I've lost weight in general,and I think the running and ab work I do helps too.
    I don't track my sugar (too frustrating when you go over after eating a few pieces of fruit) but I may have to re evaluate .
  • AlyssaAmes3
    AlyssaAmes3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just like you said you have to really want it! Even though you have cut back a lot on your sugar intake and have lost a bunch of weight you have to buckle down in food intake and exercising. Try sugar free sodas/energy drinks. You'll get use to them if you make yourself stick to them. Same with excersize dvds. I do them religously and love them. I have a small collection I rotate so I don't get bored. I like The Firm series. It takes a little patience in the begining if you are uncordinated like me but it is worth it. It is a great workout and it is also fun once you get the moves down. I also do Crunch dvds and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Im relatively new to MFP but have been using the dvds for a little over a year and have worked myself into a nice workout routine, which I think is nesisary for success. I was once told that you need to make workouts apart of your schedule like appointments or going to work and stick to it! I've lost 30 pounds so far just exercising to dvds because I just started watching my diet seriously with MFP. Good Luck to you and just remember to stick with it and it will just beomce part of your life. Hope this helps a little.
  • progressisbeautiful
    progressisbeautiful Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. When you're overwieght, often, we are impacted. Meaning, your belly has a good deal of "waste" still in your intenstines and that could be one of the rasons you're not seeing any movement in your belly. A good cleanse can help you with this. Look through blessedherbs.com. It's amazing what we harbor inside. Also, many people have food allergies they are unaware of. Food allergies present themselves in very different ways. Some people get eczema, some get itchy, some get tired, some people swell and become accostomed to these symptooms to the extent that it is their normal. Sugar is an addiction and for some of us, it could be causing your intestines to be bloated and "swell". This may sound crazy to people who have never heard this before. But I am a mother to a child that had severe food allergies and was forced to do a great deal of research about how we eat. I also have another daughter with ADHD and we manage her symptoms with her diet as well. She needs no meds. When they are eating what they are suppsoed to eat, we have utopia days, when they are off track, it shows. Consider finding a local natropathic physician or iridologist. Someone who is trained in helping people figure out their necessary diets and what their body is reacting to and what bodily functions/systems may be compromised. If I keep talking here, I'll end up sounding like a quack. Just get your gut cleansed out. Eat as clean and unprocessed as possible. If you add sugar, add raw and natural cane sugars. Keep up the exercise and I'm sure you'll see a difference.
  • AlyssaAmes3
    AlyssaAmes3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What is Bump?
  • Trigal68
    Trigal68 Posts: 7
    Options
    What is Bump?

It just means bumping the thread back to the top of the list in the hope of getting more answers.

To the OP, the best way to deal with tummy fat is diet and exercise - period. You cannot target fat deposits with specific exercises. If you are not doing aerobic exercise regularly, you will find it hard to get rid of tummy fat. I don't know the scientific reason why we always tend to carry our fat in certain areas but you are definitely not alone with this problem. And no, it isn't all in the sugar. It is all in your total caloric intake vs. your energy expenditure. If you are taking in too many calories as sugars, then for you, I guess it is in the sugar.
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump. Want to read later.
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Flabby lower tummy and upper thighs. I could probably be another size smaller if it weren't for those areas. The fat just does NOT want to move off these areas. I don't have all the answers. Just wanted you to know that you are not alonge.
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    it may be all the sugar, but as u continue to loose the weight ur belly will eventually go away as well, but not by much if ur not working out to loose it. i totally feel u on the videos, i like them in the beginning, but then i get bored and don't want to work out to them anymore. it's tough:)
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    http://www.sugarstacks.com/beverages.htm

to those of you that are still drinking regular sodas I have to ask, why would you give up 400 to 800 cals a day to something that your body doesn't need at all? That's two to four meals of real food, good food that your body will burn for fuel not store as fat automatically. And I have to ask you, when you get on the scale and it's not down as much as you'd like, or when you kill yourself exercising, are you really doing all that you can do to achieve your goals and nurture your body? When you talk trash to yourself (and we all do it) do you justify the sugar, because you gave up so much else already? How badly do you want to lose weight?

I have to lose 160 lbs, of which i've lost 40 already. I eat the same thing every day during the week becuase it's easier for me. I gave up all sugar, cookies, chips, chocolate, all the things I love to eat, that make me feel good. Do I get bored sometimes? Sure. Do I wish i could eat one of those cookies that the customers bring in to work? Sometimes. But I decided that losing weight is the most important thing and I will do anything, *anything*, to achieve it. And at the end of the day, I can honestly say that I have done everything that I could do. That i gave it 100% every moment of every day. Sure, that might be too extreme for a lot of people. I understand that. But how can you still justify drinking regular colas with all that useless sugar? Seriously, would you eat 6 tablespoons of sugar, just like that? No, you probably wouldn't. And yet you'll down a bottle of coke without second thought. Why?

Sorry, for the lecture, it just totally blows my mind that people go on diets and yet continue to eat or drink the same things that got them fat in the first place. Everything in moderation, sure. I get that. But 400 cals just on sugar is not moderation. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am just having a frustrating day. I recently started zig-zagging my calories and have been sticking to it, have lost a few more pounds recently. My sister has always said that this belly problem runs in the family.

I love LOVE soda and energy drinks. And I'm so particular about it. I love the fizz, but fizzy water or juice doesn't do it for me. It's not that the diet versions don't do it for me, it's that they have that awful salty after taste. I have tried and tried and tried.

The only exercises I've ever found myself sticking to is swimming and running. Both of those I can forget I'm doing them, not pay attention. Maybe I'll try a video again with my distracting podcasts that I reserve for running in the background.

I hate to cook. I really really hate it. I think that's another good reason I put the empty calories in my diet. I was home all day today, but I didn't want to cook anything. I ate what was easy and I wasn't even hungry most of the day. That's how I justified the 480 calories worth of sugar I had. It would get me up to my calorie goal, and I didn't have to find a bunch of things to cook.
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is recent scientific research that is implying that controlling for all factors, Americans are gaining weight faster than can be explained by fat. Scientists think it may be due to the excess of sugar in most processed food. Processed foods have an excess of Fructose, as opposed to the sucrose or glucose found in most natural foods.

High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS) was first used to fatten animals quickly. Adding it to their foods made the animals eat beyond their normal appetite. It has a similar effect on humans and is added to most processed foods to make them addictive and increase consumption.

You may want to look into whether you have merely a liking for sugary products or a craving for them. If the latter, it is just another kind of addiction.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i get the not wanting to cook. I cook once every few days. I precook enough rice to last most of the week, and a few chicken breasts for two or three days, and precook the fish for two days. It cuts down a lot of cooking time. The chicken goes in the oven, so that requires no time at all. And rice is easy.

I totally understand loving the fizz. Up to last week i was hopeless addicted to diet coke. Going off it was horrible. I tried and tried and failed every time. BUt last week i woke up and i wanted water instead of diet coke and that was it. no more diet coke.

You could try cooking enough food to last a few days and see how that works. If you have food easily available so you can quickly throw together a meal of chicken and rice and salad, the choices might be easier to make.
  • kcphilly
    kcphilly Posts: 71
    Options
    I've had problems with my stomach for most of my life as well. Even when I was super skinny everywhere else, always had that tummy hiding underneath. Could be sugar since I was a sugar/carb addict when I was little...but my overall weight was so low and I was a picky eater the doctors told my mom to let me eat whatever I wanted because I needed to gain weight. Crazy but true.

Another possible factor could be food allergies. I have issues with dairy, wheat, and soy, which after I got allergy tested my doctor said that could be contributing to the stomach as well especially since it started at about 10 years old.
  • hippo421
    hippo421 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I suggest you take the Glucomannan from Now Foods. It's a fiber that helps lessen the glycemic load of food, which helps to prevent the insulin spike which causes belly weight gain. I just ordered more since I haven't been taking it as I should. You could order it at iherb.com, if you spend $40 on the site, you get free shipping and if you use coupon code SAY963 , you will get $5 off your first order - don't forget to pick two items from the "free" section.
  • Trigal68
    Trigal68 Posts: 7
    Options
    Have you tried G2 Gatorade mixed with seltzer water? There is a new flavor (it is dark green) that is quite strong so I find I don't need to mix as much in to still get the fizz and the sweet fix. But I also have no problem with diet soda so you may still not like this combo. Good luck.