How much is too much fruit?

Options
I got told by my doctor today i'm eating too much fruit and not enough veggies. I agree on the veggies side, but I don't think i'm eating too much?

In a day I might eat a handful of red grapes, an apple, a banana and a few strawberries. These might be for my breakfast, a fruit salad or individually as snacks throughout the day. I definitely don't exceed this. Is it too much?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why did your doctor say you were eating too much?

Barring a medical condition, my idea of too much is so much that you don't get enough other nutrients, especially such that you are failing to eat adequate protein, fat, or vegetables, or so much that you go over your calories or, I suppose, so much that you have some negative digestive effect.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    my idea of too much is so much that you don't get enough other nutrients, especially such that you are failing to eat adequate protein, fat, or vegetables, or so much that you go over your calories or, I suppose, so much that you have some negative digestive effect.

This

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Barring a medical condition, my idea of too much is so much that you don't get enough other nutrients, especially such that you are failing to eat adequate protein, fat, or vegetables, or so much that you go over your calories or, I suppose, so much that you have some negative digestive effect.

+1 Is there any medical reason why you shouldn't eat fruit?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just curious what triggered that response from your DR.
  • smalltoongirl
    smalltoongirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Went for my IBS as it had been flaring up. He didn't ask which fruit I was eating, just how many portions a day. He didn't say it in relation to my IBS as well, just as a general passing comment.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

+1

Yep, I'd definitely cut back if it's causing diareer or something. :lol:

If it fits into your calorie goals, though, and you're losing weight and otherwise getting all the nutrients you need, I don't see any reason to cut drastically back.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Went for my IBS as it had been flaring up. He didn't ask which fruit I was eating, just how many portions a day. He didn't say it in relation to my IBS as well, just as a general passing comment.

Unless it's a trigger food for you, or you're overeating and gaining weight unintentionally, or missing basic nutrients....I can't understand why he would say that.

I mean, I think there IS such a thing as too much fruit (see Freelee but fair warning, it's nutball city) but I don't think you're anywhere close to it. Also I think that it's summer and eating what's in season is awesome.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Hmm. Can you ask to see a dietician to try and find the trigger foods that aggravate your IBS? My sister did this and there were some fruits that played a role--she can't eat melons or avocado, of all things. (She loves both, so was bummed, but these and some other dietary changes really cleared up her symptoms almost entirely so it's worth it to her.)
  • smalltoongirl
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Unless it's a trigger food for you, or you're overeating and gaining weight unintentionally, or missing basic nutrients....I can't understand why he would say that.

I mean, I think there IS such a thing as too much fruit (see Freelee but fair warning, it's nutball city) but I don't think you're anywhere close to it. Also I think that it's summer and eating what's in season is awesome.

Yeah thats what I thought. I'm not overeating and i'm getting the right nutrients. He told me to change a few things for my IBS but not the fruit. It was at the end he just said that i'm eating too much fruit as I was walking out of the door!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yes, those are good questions. Are you diabetic? Did you provide your doctor with a sample of your daily food diary? Was it a good representation of what you eat on a daily basis?

I don't have any health concerns. I do have to limit my fruit intake somewhat because this time of the year I could go crazy eating so much fresh fruit that is now in season! I love fruit but it has too much sugar.

My strategy is to watch the count for sugar at bottom of MFP as I log my food. My daily goal for sugar is 45 on days when I don't exercise, and about 62 when I do. I try to be very careful not to get too close to those numbers, and very, very rarely go over. I still can enjoy fruit every day, but in reasonable amounts and still lose weight.

70044776.png
  • smalltoongirl
    Options

Hmm. Can you ask to see a dietician to try and find the trigger foods that aggravate your IBS? My sister did this and there were some fruits that played a role--she can't eat melons or avocado, of all things. (She loves both, so was bummed, but these and some other dietary changes really cleared up her symptoms almost entirely so it's worth it to her.)

I think thats what i'll have to do next. Its been fine for a while but has been flaring up within the last two weeks. I got told to keep a food diary and to keep a record of when it flares up by the doctor. Hopefully it will get sorted out!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Good luck!
  • smalltoongirl
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    Yes, those are good questions. Are you diabetic? Did you provide your doctor with a sample of your daily food diary? Was it a good representation of what you eat on a daily basis?

I don't have any health concerns. I do have to limit my fruit intake somewhat because this time of the year I could go crazy eating so much fresh fruit that is now in season! I love fruit but it has too much sugar.

My strategy is to watch the count for sugar at bottom of MFP as I log my food. My daily goal for sugar is 45 on days when I don't exercise, and about 62 when I do. I try to be very careful not to get too close to those numbers, and very, very rarely go over. I still can enjoy fruit every day, but in reasonable amounts and still lose weight.

70044776.png

Nope not diabetic. He asked me to keep a diary of what I eat on a daily basis to keep track of any trigger foods for my IBS, but I did mention things I often often but not on a daily basis. My sugar intake is usually below the target, maybe sometimes above when I have a sneaky coca-cola, but on days when I don't its under
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How many servings of veggies are you getting per day?