Breastfeeding Mommies?

Options
kvansteen
kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
A few things:
1. I am back at myfitness pal after a 2 year long sabbatical where I gave birth to my son and then tried to lose the weight on my own.
2. My weight has been stagnant for the past 6 months.
3. I didn't start to really lose weight with my first until I stopped breastfeeding.
4. My second is now 13 months and has no intention of stopping breastfeeding, and I am trying to nurse him as long as possible.

So... must I stop nursing him to lose weight? I feel like the weight fell off last time in a matter of 3 months, and now I'm stuck. I've only lost like 1lb this month and I've been tracking my calories and exercising 4 times a week (running, walking, yoga, etc.) *sigh* Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• TheStruggleIsREEEAAALLL
    Options
    I wasn't able to start losing weight until I stopped nursing. Every time I would decrease my calorie intake I would lose my milk supply.
  • stephylynn190
    stephylynn190 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am no longer a breastfeeding mommy, my youngest is 2 1/2 and self weaned at 20 months. I started out around 80 lbs overweight with my youngest and gained 33. After having him and having to go dairy free due to his intolerance I lost 45 lbs within 3 months. After that the weight loss completely stopped. Any small deficit in my calories or increase in exercise quickly put a dent in my already low milk supply. I started losing again once he weaned.

My personal belief is that my body knew how much weight to hold onto to ensure that my baby got the proper amount of milk. I don't think you have to stop nursing, but weight loss while nursing may just be at a much slower rate.