Coconut Oil?

Options
I'm a student trying to eat more healthy and get into shape. I cook a lot of my own meals which often involve some kind of oil. Coconut oil in the UK isn't exactly cheap.. I think the cheapest place i've seen it is for about £5. Does it make a difference and do a lot of you use it in replacement to olive oil or sunflower oil?

Replies

• Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I personally love it. Great fats, plus I use it on my face after I shower.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Depends on what and how you're cooking, as different oils have different smoke points. Calorie wise, I'm not sure there's a significant difference.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Any differences, aside from flavor, will be negligible.

The unrefined, virgin, expeller-pressed coconut oil is technically the "healthiest", but it doesn't stand up to high heat that well.

For high heat applications, you would use the refined coconut oil. However, I would just opt for something cheaper like Canola oil or regular (not virgin) Olive oil, or a combination of the two.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like using it due to the high smoke point but I also get it online in bulk fairly cheap. Calorie wise there is not much difference.
  • moondrake
    moondrake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started using coconut oil because some folks believe it can help prevent alzheimers, which has taken out the previous 3 generations of women in my family. I know it's all supposition at this point but if there was a possibility that wearing my clothes backwards would slow or prevent alzheimers I'd be learning to button my shirts behind my back. It's my personal boogie man. But it's also delicious and healthy, so using coconut oil is no hardship.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    I personally love it. Great fats, plus I use it on my face after I shower.

This. I mix in a drop of lavender essential oil for my face (and pits if it's right before bed or I'm not going anywhere) because both the lavender and the coconut oil are supposed to have antimicrobial properties.

For low heat, I prefer coconut oil ( but only if I'm using a ton of spices to cover the coconut flavor). I've been loving avocado oil for high heat lately.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    it's not magical if that's what you're asking....

it's delicious and I use it for cooking certain things...but many of the claims made are pretty well exaggerated.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You dont need coconut oil to try and get healthy.....
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you are cooking high heat like searing or quick stir frys, use grapeseed oil as it is healthier than canola or vegetable oil and it has a high smoke point. Olive oil is best for dressings and low, simmering foods. Coconut oil is good for anything. I like drizzling it on my salad, followed by a splash of flavored vinegar, some seasoning and a drizzle of honey to take away the vinegar tang. Coconut oil is also tasty in a cup of coffee. You can't really taste it but it gives a rich, full-bodied flavor.

I consume at least a tablespoon of coconut oil a day and also use it as a moisturizer.