Easy meal tricks for working mom

Options
Anyone have easy meal tricks? I'm a single mom and by the time I get home and have a chance to cook it's late. Anyone have any tricks or fast meals to share?

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    google meal prepping. I spend a few hours cooking and organizing for easy meals during the week.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    meal prepping & crock pot
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do a web search for once a month cooking. Saves money and time, especially if you can combine efforts with a couple other family/friends. If you don't have the freezer space, you could break it down to prepping once a week and keep in ready to cook in the fridge.
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    meal prepping & crock pot

Yep. I swear the crock pot is a working parents best tool. I have chili cooking in mine right now.

• Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yep, the crock pot is your best friend. Although, I did see a new idea (new to me) for fast chili. Cook ground beef/chicken/turkey/tofu...which ever one you prefer.. and mix it with a jar of Newman's Own Corn & Bean salsa. Can't wait to try it next week. I meal prep so right now (this week) it is crock pot beef roast with carrots and yellow gold potatoes :) Last week it was crock pot chicken cooked in my favorite bbq sauce.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree with the crock pot. I've used mine 4 days this week. Other things I do include making large amounts of food at a time. I'll make a huge crockpot of shredded chicken one night and serve it with rice and veggies. With the leftovers I'll make burritos, or soup, or in omlets, you get the picture. I also like costco's frozen turkey and salmon burgers. Easy to throw on the stove or oven with veggies and potatoes. I make big batches of soup and freeze leftovers.

Obviously the key is doing some planning and prep work. But I try to cook at least one big batch of stuff on the weekends and cook a big dinner twice during the week. Every other dinner comes from those leftovers.

I also plan meals around grocery shopping. It's too much for me to do big shopping, put it all away, AND cook. I try to buy something easy (like the Costco burgers) when I shop.

I've also taught my very hungry teenage boys how to cook.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Crock pot!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Meal prep, crock pot... both of these go even further if you make double batches and then pop one into the freezer for a later date!