Omron fat loss monitor BF%

Options
thop83
thop83 Posts: 47 Member
About a month ago I bought the omron fat loss monitor to conveniently check my body fat percentage. Knowing the range of error that this sort of test has, I took a mental note of the inaccuracies of it. In the beginning it stated that I had a BF% of about 8-10 when using as the manual reccomended. After a month of working out and eating at maintenance (recomp) the monitor says that my body fat percentage is around 7-8%. Is this possible for such a large jump or is it simply the device giving inaccurate readings?

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    are you male or female?

my thoughts are that if you were really between 8-10 % bf, then you'd have little or no motivation to get some device that tracked your bf %

even for a guy, 7% is flirting with unhealthy. if your at like 5% body fat, then the only fat you have left is whats lining your organs and losing that would be very bad for your health.

I don't think its accurate, but I also think the only good use of a BF % device is to tell if your going up or down. they should be fairly reliable in that sense.
  • thop83
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am a male. I don't have very much body fat and can send pictures if needed, but I agree I think it is wrong but the question is how much

Edit:true they would help to show the overall trend, but what happens when it hits it's lower limit and I'm not at the body fat I desire or don't have the composition I'm shooting for?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    doesn't smell legit. why don't we start with your height and weight?
  • thop83
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    doesn't smell legit. why don't we start with your height and weight?

5'7 and around 145. I also have measured my waist, neck, thigh, hips, etc
  • DavPul
    Options
    any visible muscle mass or mostly skin and bones?

actually, it doesn't matter. you're too low in the range for that generally worthless piece of equipment to tell you anything. learn to use some calipers but mostly at your size you can go by the mirror for right now. i mean, what are you even hoping to accomplish with your current training?
  • thop83
    Options
    any visible muscle mass or mostly skin and bones?

actually, it doesn't matter. you're too low in the range for that generally worthless piece of equipment to tell you anything. learn to use some calipers but mostly at your size you can go by the mirror for right now. i mean, what are you even hoping to accomplish with your current training?
    Right now I'm aiming to better my physique at an early age. I have made a lot of progress (3 years of working out, 1 month of calorie counting and macros) and have gotten my bicep to a 14 inches and waist to 29, but I'm trying to build more muscle, gain strength, and tone my core to show all work I've tried so hard to get.
  • DavPul
    Options
    "better my physique" is a lot more vague than you think, but from the rest of what you said it sounds like you're trying to gain muscle mass. if that's the case, at your height/weight, you probably don't have any need for that Omron thing at all
  • thop83
    Options
    "better my physique" is a lot more vague than you think, but from the rest of what you said it sounds like you're trying to gain muscle mass. if that's the case, at your height/weight, you probably don't have any need for that Omron thing at all

Guess it's a good thing that myo tape and accumeasure calipers came with the thing. Using the calipers and tape I've managed to show my body fat to calculate out to 10-12%. Whether or not those are accurate based on user error is a completely different issue.

Thank you for your help.