Calorie anxiety

Options
Does anyone else get very anxious about calories when someone else is preparing their food or drink?

For example I get a small skinny latte with sugar free caramel syrup from Costa every weekday and I find myself getting very anxious thinking if they misheard me and gave me full fat milk or something. It makes me worry that I'm not counting my calories correctly.

:D Silly I know but just want to know if other people get this?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    not really
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    A little at first, but not anymore. Keep an eye on that line of thinking, it's a slippery slope.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't even think about it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Seems a little disordered.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I used to but I'm mostly over it. Along my journey to maintenance I indulged in questionable foods now and then which did no harm. I still made it, so I relaxed.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get very anxious about calories when someone else is preparing their food or drink?

For example I get a small skinny latte with sugar free caramel syrup from Costa every weekday and I find myself getting very anxious thinking if they misheard me and gave me full fat milk or something. It makes me worry that I'm not counting my calories correctly.

Ha! A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a coffee drink (rare for me...I usually make coffee at home) and it took the barista THREE TRIES to get it right. It wasn't even anything complicated. Just watch them as closely as you can and let it go.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

I don't get anxiety but I am definitely that obnoxious customer that asks 5x if the drink has skim milk. And sugar free. And I work in a coffee shop :wink:

I'm the same way with diet soda. I can't always tell the difference when it is from a fountain. The BF just tastes it now for me by default
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have this issue with food prepared in restaurants since the calorie/nutrition given is often not accurate given the way the food is prepared. So for something like numbers given by Chipotle's nutrition calculator I log it as 1.5 servings.
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If they mess it up one time, it's not going to derail your weight loss goal. Just put it in perspective by thinking about this way: I started out with 44 lbs to lose. 3500 calories x 44 lbs = 154,000 calories to run at a deficit over the course of months. A single 200 calorie error is tiny - one tenth of one percent - compared to the total amount of deficit I have to run. If you were ordering the full fat version on purpose each time, it would be a different story because those calories add up quickly. This is especially true with daily habits like coffee. But a single error wouldn't hurt you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    No. You lose you dont lose. It you arent losing and its a big deal then eat less move more or be patient.Be responsible for what you eat. People stress themselves out when its not needed.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I drink water, so no issue there.

Eating in a restaurant that isn't a salad bar is something I do only on occasion. When I do it, I'm fully aware that it will be a ginormous calorie load, so I don't worry about it a lot. I knew it going in. Does it cross my mind a few times? Of course.

When you're weighing every bit of food, it's natural to think twice about calorie bombs. It would be strange to be so detailed about calories that you weigh every bite and then not think at all about a cream sauce, and buttery garlic bread. IMO, anyway. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Um.....no
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I'm just happy someone else is cooking for a change.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yikes, no! I couldn't live like that.

When I weigh my food, it's so that the little calorie bombs like coffee treats don't screw everything up. I like to be as accurate as possible for the times I can't be as accurate.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that baristas only mess up your drink if they hate you. I've never had to re-order a drink.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MFP I went through a period that I was. As you realize that what matters is what you do 80% of the time (provided you don't go hog wild the other 20% of the time), you will probably relax a bit.

I still keep an eye that the McDonald's crew won't hit cream instead of milk for the ice coffee. It has only happened twice this summer :smiley:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I used too in the beginning... I now know how many calories are in this and in that and just how big a portion size really is...

I pretty much know what I should and should not be consuming... If I am going for a latte or a dessert or some sort of treat, I really do not care because it is a treat or something out of the norm and is ok...

I guess this question is to be answered by those that are not in maintenance or never been in maintenance and are still loosing weight while in a deficit, so I can understand why all those calories would freak ya out... it did me in the beginning.. I now have too much knowlege I wish I did not have sometimes..
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Honestly I used to have this when eating with family on occasion. Especially with certain family members that knew how hard I worked to lose weight and get fit (along with figuring out my IBS triggers) and lets just say weren't so supportive. I worried about sabotage and being fed trigger foods. I really don't worry about calories at restaurants and get together otherwise though, a little miscalculation in the long run isn't going to hurt if it's rare, and it saves me my sanity.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    No, although I do double check that they didn't mishear my "extra hot" as "extra shot". I didn't know Costa did sugar-free syrups (I've had plain skinny lattes since I started calorie counting), but I'm going to see if they have sugar-free gingerbread syrup next time I go, so thanks for the heads-up :-)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Yes. It has gotten so bad that now I also have premature digestion.