Exercise before or after eating?

Options
Should you exercise before or after you eat. I'm mainly talking if I should I exercise before or after I eat dinner.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    personal preference...it really doesn't matter for your average Joe/Jane exerciser. Personally I couldn't exercise after an actual dinner.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to exercise on a full stomach, so I'd eat after.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The vomit from overheat/exhaustion is much more dramatic after dinner.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    during. who cares if they stare at you, they dont know what you've been though...
  • nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    ^^^lol! I feel more motivated after dinner. But it's a personal preference.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    As a swimmer, I can't eat for at least 2 hours before I go to the pool and at least half an hour afterwards or whatever I eat will get mixed with chlorine in my esophagus and it's VERY unpleasant. I try to watch the clock, have a bit of lean protein about 2 hours before my workout, and then wait about 45 minutes to an hour after I get out to eat again.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Should you exercise before or after you eat?

yes
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm on 5 meals a day I eat an hour before then again straight afterwards. I weight train five times a week
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, but if you are a woman, you should be eating enough to have energy left after you work out.
  • hanknitspip
    hanknitspip Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find I need at least 2.5 hours after a meal or 1.5 hours after a snack before a run or a workout otherwise I get a stitch
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, but if you are a woman, you should be eating enough to have energy left after you work out.

Huh? Why does being male or female matter in this context?

OP-I eat before lifting, but never right before cardio. Personal preference.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I eat about an hour and a half before I go to my classes because I walk to take the train to get there and back. Rather than be starving by the time I get home and risk making a bad food choice, I eat. If I'm exercising at home I'll exercise then eat.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter much really, just make sure you have the appropriate amount of energy for your training session. If you train post meal, make sure you give yourself about 90-minutes in between to allow for digestion.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You could do either.
    Personally, I need to be done eating an hour prior to working out. Because the time my classes are scheduled I eat before.
    My preference however is eating after if I have the chance. If I eat after I'll probably have a good snack around 4.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

y so much misandry?