Loose skin

Options
fketteland
fketteland Posts: 19 Member
Im on this journey to become a better but my biggest fear is loose skin... Is there anyway to avoid loose skin???

Replies

• sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Exercising as you lose should help, tho it all depends on how long you have been overweight for and how over weight.
  • fketteland
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life but my weight fluctuates
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    fketteland wrote: »
    I've been overweight my whole life but my weight fluctuates

Lift weights the entire time!!!

I have some lose skin but it's not as bad as others I've seen (total lost is 172lbs) I don't require the surgery but if someone wanted to pay for it and I could take the time off of work I'd do it lol. So unless that miracle happens ... I'm good with how I look lose skin and all.

Can message me for more details if you want I don't mind talking about it.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, swimming, and losing the weight slowly (1-2 pounds a week) help a lot. Make sure to drink lots of water. Make sure to do leg exercises when lifting (e.g. squats, lunges, etc.).
  • fketteland
    Options
    I hate doing weights but I guess I have no choice now... But thanks you guys for the input
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is somewhat inevitable when you lose a lot of weight, but it's not that bad, and if it is that bad it's possible your insurance will pay for surgery. There is nothing about loose skin that I consider worse than the extra weight that was filling it.
  • fketteland
    Options
    I just don't want to lose all this weight and still fell uncomfortable
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Don't let that be the excuse that keeps you from trying...You can do it!

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don't let that be the excuse that keeps you from trying...You can do it!
    The first time I lost weight, I had a lot of excess skin and it was quite uncomfortable. I think it's a very valid concern and not an "excuse".

Something that helps me is to do a full-body shimmy multiple times a day for about 30 seconds at a time. That gets my skin moving so it doesn't just sit there. Doing this keeps my skin tighter as I lose weight. Not super-tight, but not too bad.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I hate doing weights but I guess I have no choice now... But thanks you guys for the input

Do body weight exercises like lunges and planks... darebee.com and fitnessblender have some good routines. i recommend darebee's 30 day foundation. it is a free 30 day routine of cardio, strength, and stretching. very low impact and perfect for beginners. so long as you do strength exercises along with cardio and lose weight slowly there shouldn't be a problem. losing slowly gives your skin a chance to keep up. it is usually those who crash diet with little exercise that have all the problems. good luck.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    losing slowly gives your skin a chance to keep up. it is usually those who crash diet with little exercise that have all the problems.
    This. You want to give your skin every chance to shrink as your body shrinks. If your weight loss gets too far ahead of your skin, gravity will just pull the skin down to hang.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Please don't let the fear of loose skin turn into an excuse not to lose weight.

It's highly likely that the contours of your down-sized body are not going to be exactly how you envision them in your head right now, anyway. Your new and evolving body may surprise and delight you in some ways and disappoint you in others.

I, for example, lost fat around my cheeks and chin(s) and also in my wrists, fingers, ankles and toes--which made me feel SOOO much prettier and graceful than I ever expected. But (sigh . . . ) my *kitten* is still huge, and my batwing underarms inspired me to donate all my tank tops to a thrift store.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Please don't let the fear of loose skin turn into an excuse not to lose weight.

It's highly likely that the contours of your down-sized body are not going to be exactly how you envision them in your head right now, anyway. Your new and evolving body may surprise and delight you in some ways and disappoint you in others.

I, for example, lost fat around my cheeks and chin(s) and also in my wrists, fingers, ankles and toes--which made me feel SOOO much prettier and graceful than I ever expected. But (sigh . . . ) my *kitten* is still huge, and my batwing underarms inspired me to donate all my tank tops to a thrift store.

My butt is getting bigger (no "mom butt" here) and my thighs are bigger (but oh so solid). Again, lifting weights, but my arms are way less flabby than I expected them to look and actually have a fair amount of definition.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Exercising as you lose should help, tho it all depends on how long you have been overweight for and how over weight.

and genetics... Keep your fingers crossed for good genes.

Building muscle tone will help give some definition under the skin, but if you are going to have loose skin, you are going to have loose skin. Unfortunately, I am one of those cursed with the loose skin genes combined with being over weight my entire life. The result is a tummy, arms and legs that are not pretty however, I would never trade a healthy weight for tight skin! I stupidly did this to myself, so I'll need to live with the consequences. At least I am healthier and I look good in clothes, which couldn't be said 95 pounds ago!!
  • Rashmi411
    Rashmi411 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Don't crash diet, I know you wont here. Stay hydrated, strength training helps. Also moisturize and using a sea salt scrub helps a little.

There are many people who lost so much here. inspiring
  • fketteland
    Options
    Thank you so much I won't crash diet at all and I'm trying to lose weight the healthy way but it's hard and I will lift weights and hope my genes are good enough not to have loose skin
  • carebearrum
    carebearrum Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm glad I'm not the only one that worries about these things. Yes the weight scares me but so does the loose skin because I've watched some videos of people with that loose skin and it's like I don't know scary in my head. It's not an excuse but it is a worry because you know when you are as heavy as I am it is scary. So I'm glad I'm not the only heavy person afraid of this.

Now I know what I need to do to help with losing the weight and the excess skin that I am afraid of. Yes I'm afraid of being heavy and of the excess skin, it's like a no win situation in my worried mind.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do everything that has been mentioned already, and maybe use an all-over moisturizer with collagen-elastin or cocoa butter.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Mostly it's going to come down to genetics, but age and the amount you have to lose and how quickly you lose it will play into it.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Loose skin has become an issue for me, personally. Having been heavy for15 years, I stretched my skin out pretty bad, especially after having four 8-10 lb babies. But, staying hydrated and doing some strength training (started with body weight- works great!) is making my body underneath strong and healthy, and that is what really matters. Besides, that's what Spanx are for ;-)