Exercise & meniscus damage

Options
Just on the off chance that anybody here might have/had similar issues...
A year ago I had half of my medial meniscus removed; a few month later my knee felt great! I started running & taking long walks - all good. But lately (mainly when running) I'm in serious pain again. I was thinking of giving running a rest until I've lost more weight, as that might contribute to the damage/pain; furthermore I thought some knee strengthening exercise might help?
Any ideas/advice would be dearly appreciated!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Stop running. Go see your PT and or doctor.

• ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Stop running. Go see your PT and or doctor.

Thanks, but one can't just go to a physio therapist in the UK. I only got one(!) appointment after surgery.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'd go back to see a doctor if you've got serious pain.

Many years ago I had my knee scoped out and had half my medial meniscus removed as well. One thing that I've found works great is glucosamine tablets. It takes a month or two to feel the effects, so if you try it, give it plenty of time. I'm one who hates taking any drugs I don't need to and on three different occasions, I stopped taking it. About a month or two later, my knee would start hurting and swelling again and I'd remember that I had quit taking it and I'd start back up again. A month or so later the pain would start going away. This has happened each time I tried to quit it so I no longer have any plans of trying to quit taking it.

For serious pain, though, I'd see a doctor.

My only other thought is about your shoes. Did you go to a local running store to have your gait analysed and get fitted for the correct running shoes? Being in the wrong shoes can cause pain and injury.
  • ElisaJtsu
    edited July 2015
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'd go back to see a doctor if you've got serious pain.

Many years ago I had my knee scoped out and had half my medial meniscus removed as well. One thing that I've found works great is glucosamine tablets. It takes a month or two to feel the effects, so if you try it, give it plenty of time. I'm one who hates taking any drugs I don't need to and on three different occasions, I stopped taking it. About a month or two later, my knee would start hurting and swelling again and I'd remember that I had quit taking it and I'd start back up again. A month or so later the pain would start going away. This has happened each time I tried to quit it so I no longer have any plans of trying to quit taking it.

For serious pain, though, I'd see a doctor.

My only other thought is about your shoes. Did you go to a local running store to have your gait analysed and get fitted for the correct running shoes? Being in the wrong shoes can cause pain and injury.

I'm not in serious pain, but it's not exactly a joyful run either. I actually bought some glucosamine tablets, but just like you I'm not keen on tablets, so I didn't take them. So I might actually give that a try. No, I never had my gait analysed - any idea which shop offers that?
    And thanks, of course!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    You're in serious pain, you're not in serious pain...which is it? *How* does your knee hurt? Why don't you want to see a doctor?

Honestly, with my knees and hips, this is my strategy:
    If I know what's wrong from experience (I'm a runner; I know what e.g. IT band syndrome feels like), I'll play Internet doctor. If I don't know what's wrong or suspect something serious, I'm at the real doctor, who has answers and the possibility of referring me to a PT. Yes, even if it's just one session to show me how to do helpful exercises correctly.
  • ElisaJtsu
    Options
    You're in serious pain, you're not in serious pain...which is it? *How* does your knee hurt? Why don't you want to see a doctor?

Honestly, with my knees and hips, this is my strategy:
    If I know what's wrong from experience (I'm a runner; I know what e.g. IT band syndrome feels like), I'll play Internet doctor. If I don't know what's wrong or suspect something serious, I'm at the real doctor, who has answers and the possibility of referring me to a PT. Yes, even if it's just one session to show me how to do helpful exercises correctly.

Oh dear, I should have worded that differently. What I meant is that I am in pain when I run now; serious isn't the right word as it is minor in comparison to the pain before the surgery, yet it's bothersome. I was looking for some advice as I have a cupboard filled with NSAIDs which I got prescribed from different doctors before I finally got an MRI scan 2 years later. THAT is why I won't go to my GP, because I will end up with more tablets and no physio.
    Thanks for your reply though!
  • ElisaJtsu
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Thanks, but I cannot self refer in this area, my GP is not willing to refer me & I can't afford to go private...I've been down this road so many times, that's why I asked for some advice here...
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ElisaJtsu wrote: »

Thanks, but I cannot self refer in this area, my GP is not willing to refer me & I can't afford to go private...I've been down this road so many times, that's why I asked for some advice here...

:( sorry

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00300

http://www.stoneclinic.com/meniscus-repair-rehab-protocol

google "meniscus rehab protocol" and you should find some handouts from ortho clinics :(

meanwhile, stop doing anything that hurts

stationary bike should be ok
  • ElisaJtsu
    Options

google "meniscus rehab protocol" and you should find some handouts from ortho clinics :(

I appreciate any help & advice. Thank you!

• tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options

no probs. it galls me that non-surgical musculoskeletal care is considered optional, when related conditions are a leading cause of long-term disability, loss of productivity, etc.

(it's the same here in Canada. people who fall under certain categories do get LIMITED (and not always the best for their condition) funded rehab. most pay out of pocket or through insurance.)

good luck :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    (but even if you can save up for just one session, for an evaluation & recommendations, it'd be worth it)
  • ElisaJtsu
    Options

no probs. it galls me that non-surgical musculoskeletal care is considered optional, when related conditions are a leading cause of long-term disability, loss of productivity, etc.

(it's the same here in Canada. people who fall under certain categories do get LIMITED (and not always the best for their condition) funded rehab. most pay out of pocket or through insurance.)

good luck :)
    tor

YES! That is what made my 'blood boil' every time I went to see a GP about my knee issues. I haven't been to see a doctor for anything else in the last 15 years. Thank you so much for your time!