Surgery and body going into starvation mode

Options
I recently had my gallbladder removed, and while the surgeon told me I could resume my normal diet the next day, I just haven't been hungry. I have still been logging in and recording what I have been eating, but I'm eating under 1000 calories. MFP is telling me that I'm not eating enough and that my body could go into starvation mode and reverse what I have accomplished. However, I also don't want to force myself to eat because I have to. My body is recovering, but will it still go into starvation mode if I don't consume those extra calories?

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It takes more than a day or two of undereating to start starving. Don't worry, just keep logging and listen to your body. When you're hungry, you'll start eating again! MFP does that to warn people, but it's not like it happens immediately, so no stress!!!!

Now if you're still getting that message every day in three weeks? Then worry!!!!
  • spaztastic13
    spaztastic13 Posts: 229
    Options
    Ive had my gallbladder removed also and give it a couple days u will be good to go if ur not hungry then ur not the same thing happened to me....good luck
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It could very well happen if you do that for too long. I would work my way up gradually back to whatever your net goal was before your surgery.

When my daughter had her tonsils out, she of course didn't eat much for 2 or 3 weeks. It was hard getting her to just drink water. She lost 14 pounds in those two or three weeks after the surgery. But when she started eating normally again, they came back and FAST!

Good luck and feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • keepsiejess
    keepsiejess Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd say dont worry, you will probably be back to normal in no time! dont listen to the mfp computer. your body is smart and telling you to lay off a bit so it can heal. talk to your dr. if you are worried about your appetite interms of your health/recovery, but honestly it sounds totally reasonable.
    You can make banana fruit smoothies with protein powder and peanut butter to bulk up on cal cals. Avocados and nuts are packed too. you dont need to eat a lot to get healthy cals.
    gooood luck! hope you heal quick!

edit:
    ask your dr what you should be eating to transition from gall bladder to none!
  • MomBo
    MomBo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, you brought up an interesting question. I did a little net research and came up with this study. http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742
    Very interesting. If you read this site it might give you a few answers.
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine, this happen to me also when I had my gallbladder out and trust me my appetite returned!!!:happy: