So so upset.

Options
Started dieting a little over a week ago, and cut out soda the same day. Havent weighed myself since then becaause I get obsessed with the scale. Finally weighed in today and I GAINED 5 lbs. I'm so disgusted with myself right now I don't even know what to think.

Replies

• bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Would be happy to help you figure out what went wrong and how to get on track. :flowerforyou:
  • maryestephens
    Options
    Cutting out soda is huge! congratulations! I know how hard it is for me not to order a cold dr. pepper whenever I go out to eat! 5 pounds can be fluctuation... I try to only weigh myself every couple weeks because women's weight fluctuates so much I never know if i can trust the scale! Anyways, good luck with your dieting... sometimes it takes your body time to adjust to all the changes you are making. One week in... keep at it!
  • tarrox
    tarrox Posts: 47
    Options
    Sounds like water weight to me. Watch your sodium intake, drink lots of water and give it some more time. Gaining 5 lbs in that short amount of time from calories isn't likely. Good luck, and hang in there! :happy:
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the bad news. Has given up soda led to eating more of other things to compensate?

Don't weigh any more than once a week. Day to day changes on the scale are both frustrating and misleading.

If you're staying within your calorie allotment, getting some exercise, and counting accurately you should lose most weeks.

If you started just one week ago, remember that making life-style changes takes time. I've started WeightWatchers in 2007 and since have lost about 100 pounds. But that's not to say that I haven't had bad weeks, bad months, etc.

A good read is _Don't Sweat the Small stuff in Weightloss_. It's a good pick me up when you're down on yourself. You need to remember WHY it is you want to lose weight: a healthier lifestyle. That takes time.

I bet if you have an awesome week and stick to your calorie restriction (and count accurately) you will lose a lot of that 5 pounds from last week. I've always found that sudden gains can lead to immediate losses if I get back on track.

Keep in mind that other posters are right that you probably haven't gained 5 pounds from calories. It takes 3,500 excess calories to gain one pound of fat. That would mean to gain 5 pounds in fat you would have to go 17,500 calories over what your body burns in a week to gain that much weight (in fat). Water weight could be a culprit, or even eating a large dinner the night before a weigh-in.

Good luck. :happy:
  • cdskates
    cdskates Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did too, within the first bit that I started. I didn't let it get to me... And now, after a month or so, I've lost all the "gain" AND 2 pounds (I'm very proud of those two pounds, as well). Some people's body's just do that. Keep up the work--it'll pay off.
  • MMiles96
    MMiles96 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For starters weighing yourself everyday is not good for you, your weight can fluctuate around 3 lbs or so in a day just from morning to evening, so for starters make sure you are comparing the same time of day weight.

Cutting out soda is a great way to drop some lbs, make sure you are not filling that void with unhealthy juices though, be sure to read the labels, water is your best choice. I have found that Sobe Life water is a healthy choice.

Stick with it, as long as you are not over eating and exercising the weight will come off, it just may take more time than your original thought.

Good Luck!
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight to me. Watch your sodium intake, drink lots of water and give it some more time. Gaining 5 lbs in that short amount of time from calories isn't likely. Good luck, and hang in there! :happy:

I agree. Seems like your body is just adjusting to the changes. Watch the sodium!
  • Missy123556
    Missy123556 Posts: 80
    Options
    I dont know what Im doing wrong. Until I started this I was at the same weight for a couple months, the day before I started I had gained 2 lbs which made me want to start. I have no idea how I could go from my normal weight + lbs, to a FIVE POUND GAIN (not including the first two) in a week.
  • bpe101
    Options
    Did you accurately add in your food including butter, sodium, snacks, etc.? Sometimes it can be easy to not include the extras like sauces and dressings.
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    its good to way yourself at the same time of day as well as using the same scale.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Started dieting a little over a week ago, and cut out soda the same day. Havent weighed myself since then becaause I get obsessed with the scale. Finally weighed in today and I GAINED 5 lbs. I'm so disgusted with myself right now I don't even know what to think.

Don't worry about the first week. Your body will be under going major changes if you have now decided to eat right. Just cutting out soda is a big deal!
    It is also a good possibility that your body is retaining water. That can happen to some at first.
    Are you making sure to drink lots of water daily? That is very important!

Please, don't be disappointed with yourself!!! Think of it like this. You have made some really good, major changes. Your body is in shock thinking "what is going on here?" and it just needs time to get with the program. And it will.

I went through the exact same thing and honestly couldn't stop crying for a entire day. For me it had been 10 days of eating completely healthy and killing myself with exercise daily.
    My body eventually started understanding what was going on and now it's on the same page as me.

I wish you tons of luck. Feel free to add me if you need any support or just another friend. :)
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    And I agree with weighing yourself at the same time. I actually weight 5 pounds less in the afternoon than I do in the evening. It's a major difference!!! :)
  • bpe101
    Options
    Great advice, Theseus82!
  • Missy123556
    Options
    I know my weight can fluctuate, but this is 5lbs more than the HIGH end of my normal fluctuation.
  • Missy123556
    Options
    yes, I have made sure to log every extra thing that I eat. I have not been eating more to compensate for soda, I have been eating way less than usual.
  • bpe101
    Options
    The important thing to remember is that you are trying to make a change. Try not to beat yourself up because you will just end up stressing and possibly giving up, both of which isn't good. If you accept your dedication to the program, you will reach your goal. Just remember to pay attention to your sodium and sugar intake specifically. And account for EVERYTHING you injest. Even cough drops have calories... Don't get discouraged. Just be understanding of setbacks, but hold yourself accountable. And don't try to deprive your system of anything too quickly. Cutting too many calories can cause your body to switch to starvation mode and hold on to your fat. I noticed you wrote you sometimes forget to eat breakfast. This could be partly causing your problem. You want to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day (every few hours). This will prevent the crash you feel, which often leads to overeating.
  • Missy123556
    Options
    I haven't forgotten to eat breakfast for about a month. I'm so upset. I'm going to see my husband and go to the beach in 2 weeks and now I'm gonna spend the whole time being miserable.
  • Missy123556
    Options
    The only sugary thing I eat (drink) is coffee with creamer, which I have always drank.
  • bpe101
    Options
    My advice to you is to chalk it up to water weight and know that if you stick with it, it will come back off. Just remember, losing weight takes time. Keep realistic goals. Don't expect to lose a significant amount of weight in two weeks. And I'm sure your husband will appreciate your efforts. Feel good about yourself for choosing to be healthier, not how you look on the beach. Just stick with it and it will happen. :smile:
  • MrsSchmidty7
    MrsSchmidty7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I haven't forgotten to eat breakfast for about a month. I'm so upset. I'm going to see my husband and go to the beach in 2 weeks and now I'm gonna spend the whole time being miserable.

It has to be about more than the number the scale reflects - Do you feel good? Do your pants happen to fit any better? Find somthing to feel good about and hang on to it! Don't let this ruin your time at the beach, that's just silly!
    This journey has to be an empotional one as well as a physical one.

There are a few other things the "gain" could be from as well, do you maybe have food in transit?? Did you weigh yourself at different times of the day? I personnaly, would weigh in a few days and see if it hasn't gone down... Have you been drinking your daily water amount??