Replies

• Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Those low cal days would suck for me, idk
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet or fast. Its another way of CICO. You should do more research.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10214232/5-2-diet
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I did it and it was good. The positive is that it worked really well. I liked that I only had to cut calories 2 days a week and the other days I could eat whatever. I definitely lost weight.

However...

I was really grumpy those 2 days. And it obviously wasn't sustainable (for me) since I'm not doing it anymore. I also tended to overeat on the non-fast days.

Sometimes I try to do something similar by having a couple of low-calorie days in a week, but 1000 instead of 500. And not even every week. Just when I feel I can handle it.

That said, it is a pretty good way to cut down your weekly calories and lots of people have success with it.
  • laurennichole529
    laurennichole529 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did! Met my goal weight doing 5:2 and loved it. But it's certainly not for everyone.

It worked well for me because it gave me a lot more calories to play around with on my non-fast days so I didn't have to restrict myself when I went out to eat or really wanted a high-calorie treat. Like other calorie-counting- based diets, I think fasting really forces you to make healthier food and portion choices to fit your calorie goal. I do agree with the above posters in that there are some days when fasting is incredibly challenging or can lead to overeating on other days if you aren't careful.

I also think it is much easier when you are cooking for only yourself. I can't imagine how people fast when they have partners/kids that they are cooking for. That would be way too tempting!

Good luck. There's plenty of advice about 5:2 on the forums if you need tips for getting started, or feel free to message me if you have other questions!

• Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now & I love it. Originally I refused to look into it because I thought it was just a fad diet but then someone here explained that it is actually just another way of creating a deficit (CICO).

I think most people enjoy it because they feel they have to think less. I actually like it because of how I feel on Fast days. I sympathise with the poster above who said they were grumpy, I'm the total opposite. I am full of energy, extremely focused and just in the zone on fast days. I now time them with big days at work because I thrive & am uber productive.

As for results, though it is just another way of creating a deficit, I have found my body responds very well. I've lost 5.5kg/12lb in my first month on it. I expect it to slow down from here.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's weird. I was really hungry and grumpy on fast days, but at the same time, I also felt fantastic most of the day. I had lots of energy. I forgot about that positive aspect. :)
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I haven't done 5:2, but have been intermittent fasting for 18 months. Eat from about noon until 6pm. Just your alloted calories. It works well for me.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've been toying with the idea a little. I notice that I tend to go over on calories on Fridays and Saturdays...so this past week I had only 600 calories on Sunday. This coming weekend I'm leaving for a cruise so on Thursday I will limit myself to 600 calories and then another 600 calorie day the day after my return. I don't plan on going hog wild on the cruise but it may help me to retain a weekly deficit. Last Sunday wasn't too bad but I don't think I could do it on a regular basis.