Do you consider yourself "on a diet?"

Options

Replies

• SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Kind of. I'm eating less now than I will at my goal weight, so I consider it a diet. You can call it a deficit if you want, it's the same thing.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    No, which is also why I don't deny myself any specific foods. If I'm doing this for the rest of my life I'm going to eat all the foods I love, just in moderation.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes. I'm hoping one day the answer to this changes to no and becomes a lifestyle change but for now I consider it a diet because it's restrictive. I can eat what I want to an extent but not in the portion size I want to eat it.
  • Edjeep
    Edjeep Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am changing my diet. Not on a diet, which implies to me that I will get off the diet. I can see that what I was doing was not producing the results I was happy with. I'm finding new foods, and learning how and what to eat so that I can be satisfied and live a healthy life.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    It's just semantics to me. I find the term "lifestyle change" obnoxious. Call it what you want, I know for a fact that when I am losing weight/maintaining/actively eating healthily I am making an effort to do and thus not eating what I'd ideally prefer to be eating on any given day. It is what it is. I've been doing this for 6.5 years now so it might not be a short term "fad" diet but I consider it dieting just the same.
  • kdav88
    kdav88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am purposely eating for weight loss, so yes, that is pretty much the definition of 'being on a diet".

And there will be an end to my dieting. At some point I will eat for maintenance.

This for me too.

Likewise. I'd like to say no, but the reality is, even if it's a lifestyle change, I'm eating less than I'd like to or need to in order to maintain my weight, which means eating in a deficit AKA diet... Can't wait for maintenance... Haha I love food!
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    nope not really, this for me is more of a change of life
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The food you choose to consume forms your diet. How you choose to eat is up to you. Loosing weight for most will entail eating less over processed foods and more self prepared foods. I hope everyone finds which dietary regime will suit them best and form the basis of a more healthy life. I'm somewhere along this road.
  • Isilya
    Isilya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am currently dieting since I'm on a restricted eating plan. I really need to lose weight to become more mobile safely. Once I'm able to be more active I will simply be making better choices and no longer dieting. Or so I tell myself :)
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do not feel okay with saying that my changes are a "diet." I want long term success. Diet implies I am forcing myself to avoid certain foods. That doesn't support long term success. So, I view my changes as a new lifestyle where all things come in moderation.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm actively trying to lose weight, so yes I'm "on a diet" but it's definitely different than when I've been "doing a diet". I've enjoyed the MFP process so much more than anything I've tried in the past!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    First forty pounds, no, I didn't. I wasn't trying to lose weight. I just overhauled my diet, began eating healthy food and the weight began coming off.

When I started actively counting the calories, it began feeling like work and I started having that "on a diet" feeling. I thought it was important for me to learn about how many calories were in this and that. Maybe it was, maybe not. But I've learned all I'm going to learn. I'm trying to start eating like regular people do again, sans scale. It's a long process, though.

When I'm done, I plan to eat normal amounts of healthy food, using my hunger to guide me. Then, the "on a diet" thing will be over. That's the plan, anyway! :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Yes. I can't wait until I'm done losing and go on maintenance and have a few extra calories each day. I'm on 1200 right now and hate it.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I consider myself on a warpath against fat and weak muscles and bad choices and bad temptation. ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I consider myself in a deficit, or not in a deficit.
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me, no. I'm just getting back in the healthy eating routine and I intend to stay eating like this for a while.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No because my first priority is not to lose weight but to be more aware of what and how much I'm eating. I know what I need to do but am still a little resistant to actually doing it. I hate counting calories so I'm trying to focus on getting the ratio of carbs, protein, and fat that work best for my satiety and happiness from better sources instead.

Yes because I am on a gluten-free diet and I don't want to deal with things like intestinal cancer and bowel resections.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    While I was losing, yes, I considered myself on a diet as I was restricting calories to lose weight. I always intended my diet to be temporary. When I reached goal weight in April I switched to maintenance.