Tracking marinades

Options
splashwags
splashwags Posts: 262 Member
What do folks do about accounting for marinades. I made some tasty chicken skewers today, which I Marinated for maybe 20 minutes, grilled the skewers and tossed the marinade. I am at a loss as to how to account for the marinade.

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you marinated the chicken in my opinion. If it wasn't oil or something high calorie, I probably wouldn't log it at all. Your body doesn't have a specific number of calories it needs to lose weight. There's a little wiggle room, and I doubt many calories were added from a marinade. :) (Also, nutritional labels are OFTEN rounded up or down. A 100 calorie snack pack, for example, might have anywhere from 90-110, maybe more. Everything evens out eventually. Lol.)
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'd look at is the sodium in the marinade (because I'm trying hard to stay under). You might not need to be so careful.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to measure the marinade before adding meat, then measure it again after you take the meat out. the difference is what you consume. Sounds reasonable.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to measure the marinade before adding meat, then measure it again after you take the meat out. the difference is what you consume. Sounds reasonable.

Yes, I have heard the same thing...it's based on the type of meat, acid of the marinade and length of time marinated...I usually figure 30% of the original amount used.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

what a great idea!!
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Like most things related to measuring food... sounds smart but like a total pain in the you-know-what. :-P
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I just look at what a serving is and then add those calories separate.If I used alot of marinade, I will double the calories.....better to track to many than not enough....at least that is what I tell myself.
  • sahlah
    sahlah Posts: 52
    Options
    Also if it is something like BBQ and you are using it for chicken breast, then look in the foods for BBQ grilled chicken breast... It's already there for some things.
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can use sodium free herbs and spices all you want. Use lime juice with in them and marinades. You will have "zero" calories. I use the note pay in the daily food charts and list this is what I did for further reference. Good luck!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

Like most things related to measuring food... sounds smart but like a total pain in the you-know-what. :-P

That is brilliant!!!! I've wondered that for over a year now! The one down said (besides the pain in the butt) is that some meats loss juice or "blood" which may leek in, but probably not enough to matter. Thank you for posting the question!!!!