Popping sensation in hip

Options
Anyone know what it could be? Like I said its a popping kinda feeling almost "cross my fingers" feels like it's grinding. I'm only 26, been running a lot lately, (6-10 miles /day) the butter fly leg stretch is a little painful too. Feels like groin muscles are agitated as well.

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    ^ thanks for the link bro, almost certain that's whats going on. I'm gonna put more effort into stretching before and during runs and reevaluate...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when my hip flexors are tight. I notice it when I'm doing a dynamic warm up before squats. It's kind of a crappy feeling and it takes awhile to go away. It always makes me double check form on all lifts. I like to foam roll it and make sure I get a good stretch, after my muscles are warmed up a bit.
  • emodavis
    emodavis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    freak4iron wrote: »
    ^ thanks for the link bro, almost certain that's whats going on. I'm gonna put more effort into stretching before and during runs and reevaluate...

Don't stretch when cold. Get a foam roller and learn how to use it properly. A day or three of rest, stretching, and more rest isn't a bad option either. Throttling back is better than months of physical therapy.
  • freak4iron
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    This happens to me when my hip flexors are tight. I notice it when I'm doing a dynamic warm up before squats. It's kind of a crappy feeling and it takes awhile to go away. It always makes me double check form on all lifts. I like to foam roll it and make sure I get a good stretch, after my muscles are warmed up a bit.

What do you do for your "dynamic stretches"? Not gonna lie my stretching is weak-status, probably stupid of me considering my recent increase in cardio. Your right it is a sucky feeling, it gets in the way with a bunch of things, especially squats and ground work for abs.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    This also happened to my left hip when I wasn't warming up properly. I don't do much running outside but my warm up before squats is 10 minutes on the stair master, 3-4 sets of walking lunges with weight, and once I get a hold of the only squat rack at my gym, I do a set of 100 bodyweight squats and leg swings. Not sure if this is considered dynamic stretching...
  • freak4iron
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This also happened to my left hip when I wasn't warming up properly. I don't do much running outside but my warm up before squats is 10 minutes on the stair master, 3-4 sets of walking lunges with weight, and once I get a hold of the only squat rack at my gym, I do a set of 100 bodyweight squats and leg swings. Not sure if this is considered dynamic stretching...

I work out at my local high school weight room, the kids stand in line and wait their turn to txt in the squat rack! wi2k3zjyvdfs.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    freak4iron wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

What do you do for your "dynamic stretches"? Not gonna lie my stretching is weak-status, probably stupid of me considering my recent increase in cardio. Your right it is a sucky feeling, it gets in the way with a bunch of things, especially squats and ground work for abs.

I walk to the gym and just do my kicks and leg circles right before I squat. If it is bad that week, I'll foam roll it out before I squat too.