Hard to eat so many calories.....need help

Options
:s find it frustrating to eat so many calories a day. I'm underweight 5'4, 102 pounds if that. Supposed to eat 2,150-2500 a day please help lol

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I find your username ironic in this situation, haha, because my automatic response was PEANUT BUTTER PEANUT BUTTER PEANUT BUTTER!

Seriously though, healthy fats are great because they are calorie dense but don't take up much room in your stomach. Think nuts and nut butters, avocado, etc.

Also make sure to eat every couple of hours so you don't find yourself at the end of the day with 1000 calories left to eat before bedtime. And finally, I'm not sure if you exercise, but maybe keep it light if you do. The more you exercise the more you need to eat to sustain your healthy weight gain. Good luck, you got this!
  • pnuttbuttababy
    pnuttbuttababy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    I find your username ironic in this situation, haha, because my automatic response was PEANUT BUTTER PEANUT BUTTER PEANUT BUTTER!

Seriously though, healthy fats are great because they are calorie dense but don't take up much room in your stomach. Think nuts and nut butters, avocado, etc.

Also make sure to eat every couple of hours so you don't find yourself at the end of the day with 1000 calories left to eat before bedtime. And finally, I'm not sure if you exercise, but maybe keep it light if you do. The more you exercise the more you need to eat to sustain your healthy weight gain. Good luck, you got this!

Lol so funny because I love peanut butter so I shall take that advice! Thank you for the tips, I do need to snack more. I walk about 3 miles a day,nothing to major
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    An english muffin with butter and a big glass of orange juice or whole milk is 500 calories.

Basically anything a cuisine is built around has a lot of calories:

rice, beans, potatoes, bread
    milk, cheese, butter
    nuts, dates, figs

I lost 40 pounds just dropping cheese, milk, and bread from most of my days - it dropped 500 calories or so. Add them back in.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Glass of whole milk with each meal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Good answers above.

How about avocados, nuts, roast beef, salmon?
  • FuchsiaCandi
    FuchsiaCandi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm all about repairing metabolic damage, so I completely FEEL THIS PAIN! (Except, I'm struggling to get 2k! LOL!) Anyway, I found onigiri, rice ball, is amazingly high in calories without being unnecessarily unhealthy. I take some salmon, along with a seasoning (I use cranberry or mango based chutney) and wrap it all up in rice with a rice seasoning on top. Pop a few in the fridge and grab 'em throughout the day. I hope this helps! There's a TON of onigiri recipes out there <3!
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Cook with fat! A tablespoon of butter to cook your scrambled eggs, olive oil drizzled roasted veggies etc. I'd probably add in a few tablespoons like that, plus 2 caloric snacks like everyone has listed (toast with butter and jam, or trail mix ( quarter cup of macadamia nuts is 250 calories + quarter cup raisins is about 125 = 375). Good luck to you!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I wrote it out once, and became lazy, so here is a quote on how I gained back my weight while struggeling with the always full feeling.
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I've been there, it sucks. Also the always feeling full.
    My list of tips:
    1) eat calorie dense food (see sticky in nutrition section)
    2) drink your calories (proteine shake, milk, soda, doesn't matter)
    3) full fat everything. (So full fat milk, real butter, full yoghurt. Fills about the same for extra calories)
    4) eat at regular times, your body will now come to expect it, creating the hunger feeling. Increasing portion size is easier when hungry.
    5) take it real slow. Your body will gently adjust with you.

Also, here on the forum one of the most repeated things is eating spoons of peanut butter. Very calorie rich.

I lost about 18 lbs in 6 months and became underweight, it took me about two years to gain it all back. It is a slow process, but you must slowly teach your body to adjust to large portion sizes.

Also, there is nothing wrong with eating "unhealthy" foods like chips, ice cream, etc to reach those calories.

But imo 1&2 are most important.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem since I upped my protein levels. I just don't feel hungry anymore. I'm eating peanut butter but ending up with higher fat than the MFP macro recommends (because I also like ice cream). Is this not a problem? I feel like I'm eating all day but because I've been losing weight, it's also hard to get my head around not conserving my calorie allowance for when I need it, especially as I'd be forcing myself to eat. The idea of drinking calories is also completely alien to me too! However, I know I can't go on with the deficits that I've been having the last week so somethings got to give.
  • AsISmile
    Options
    As far as I am aware there are is minimum fat, not maximum fat. Calories are calories regardless of the source.

• bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just trying to change my percentages of macronutrients in goals now...so I'm not always going into the red but it doesn't seem to update properly and resets. I found this useful document although it's on a chronic disease site it gives useful info on recommended limits and a little of the rationale (which appears in places to be fairly arbitrary) https://nrv.gov.au/chronic-disease/summary
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One thing I recently added to my diet for added nutrition and calories are hemp hearts. They look like tiny little grains/seeds, don't taste like much of anything, and just 3 tbsp has 170 calories, 10g protein, 13g of fat. You just sprinkle them on anything really. Easy way to sneak in some calories!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    This is a problem I have never had. I always want to eat more calories than I'm allowed.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    :s find it frustrating to eat so many calories a day. I'm underweight 5'4, 102 pounds if that. Supposed to eat 2,150-2500 a day please help lol

Where did you get that number of calories? It looks like your BMR is a little over 1,300.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    at 5"4 a healthy weight can range from 110pounds-140 ,
    Your daily BMR is 1292.0,
    your BMI is 17
    Breathe ;)
  • AsISmile
    Options

Where did you get that number of calories? It looks like your BMR is a little over 1,300.
    at 5"4 a healthy weight can range from 110pounds-140 ,
    Your daily BMR is 1292.0,
    your BMI is 17
    Breathe ;)

Sorry if I don't understand, but shouldn't activity be included.
    Perhaps OP has an active lifestyle. Add a 250 to 500 calorie surplus and he could be well into the 2000 calories to gain.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate, nuts/ nut butter, dried fruit, protein bars, oily fish, ribs, bacon.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Its quite possible PB has an active lifestyle, if She is quite active she can add more protein -
  • barbaracoleman1966
    barbaracoleman1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get healthy before I start my preparing for nursing school