Adjusting Activity Level on MFP Goal Calculator

Options
Naener
Naener Posts: 167 Member
Good Morning All!!
I was wondering about adjusting the activity levels on the calorie goal tracker to be more successful with tracking and staying under goal... ive been on MFP for years, and since i have an office job where i do sit down for the better part of every hour im at work, ive always had the activity level marked as "Sedentary" However, over the last 1-2 years i have steadily increased my workouts and fitness levels to where i am now working out 4-5 days a week for at LEAST 60 minutes, usually more.
The activity level descriptions on the website seem geared to occupation only, but even then, i now have a pedometer app on my phone and i get between 7000-10000 steps a day, on top of my daily work outs...
1370 as a goal seems very low for me, its fine on days i work out, since i can eat back my calories burnt, but on rest days, its almost impossible :(
changing the activity level to "Lightly Active" gave me 1560, and that seems MUCH more doable....advice anyone?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Mfp is giving you a suggestion, and it won't be perfect for everyone. I have the same problem, so with my setting at sedentary I lose closer to 2 lb/week instead of my target of 1.5 lb/week. After my beach vacation in 1 month I am probably going to up my calories to slow down the weight loss.

I would adjust your calories up and monitor your weight over a month. If you are getting the results you want, then stick to the higher calorie intake. If you aren't, then adjust it up/down as needed.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump?!
  • WheelingGirls
    WheelingGirls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't workout one day, doesn't mean you should eat less! It's all about what you do consistently! I think you should try eating around 1500 a day for a few weeks and see how your body reacts to it. If you don't lose weigh then try upping your cardio or lowering your caloric intake slightly!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You could also try adding an extra 100 calories a day and see how that works.
    But there is nothing wrong with changing your activity level if you are being honest with yourself on activity. (So not because you want to eat more.)

That being said, if in theory you were sedentary and you would up your calories but still be at a net deficit your weightloss just might be a bit slower.
    So conclusion, adding more calories is not wrong, just be realistic about the reason why and possible consequences.