6ft+ tall men!

Options
So many random "[height] [gender]!" threads and I haven't seen one for this.

I am 6'1" and my goal weight is 170. I'm currently at ~184 lb and I still have some man boob and belly flab, though they are much smaller. But all I've seen for 6'1" men is either guys 10 lb heavier than me looking ripped as hell, or guys near the mid 200s where I was who are content just getting below 200. Which is totally fine, just don't usually see guys with a lower goal.

Anyone else trying to get lanky before trying to bulk up?

Replies

• dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hey man. Im 6'4 260, and look really thin for the weight that i am. Most of my body is tight besides the beer belly, but seems that if i want to lose 25 pounds i will look too thin. Im under my cal daily and its making a difference. Im just lifting and eating alot better and feel great, just not losing the weight but looking like guys that are close to my height but are 50-60 pounds lighter.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yup. check out my profile pics. 6'0" went from 192 to 150 over the last 6 months. I had never properly lifted weights in my life before March of this year. My current profile pic is me at 150 and I'm reverse dieting and starting a bulk right now.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    @DuckReconMajor Have you going any weight training or has most of your weight loss been due to diet and cardio? I'm 6' 2" and 192. Tried to recomp at 195 because I thought I was getting too thin. It's been a looooong process and I'm finally beginning to see some changes.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yup. check out my profile pics. 6'0" went from 192 to 150 over the last 6 months. I had never properly lifted weights in my life before March of this year. My current profile pic is me at 150 and I'm reverse dieting and starting a bulk right now.
    Yay, glad to finally see a counterexample. Good luck!
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    @DuckReconMajor Have you going any weight training or has most of your weight loss been due to diet and cardio? I'm 6' 2" and 192. Tried to recomp at 195 because I thought I was getting too thin. It's been a looooong process and I'm finally beginning to see some changes.
    I have been doing p90x3 workouts since February which have a lot of bodyweight/dumbbell exercises, but nothing too serious in the weight department.

When you hit 195 had you been doing any weight training?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1" 201lbs. I got down to about 190lbs before I started bulking. I'm currently taking some time off due to tendinitis in my elbow. I did the Madcow 5x5 program and it seemed to work really well. I hope to get back lifting and eventually bulk to around 210, them cut back to 195 lbs or so. Good luck!

How you doing?
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    When you hit 195 had you been doing any weight training?

I started All Pro's Beginners Routine at 205 lbs, after I had lost 40 lbs. Haven't been as consistent as I should. I do well a couple cycles then slack off and have to fall back a bit. Definitely has helped with increased strength and composition. I'm currently at 19-21% BF, would like to get down to 17-18% and then decide whether I want to go lower and consider a bulk/cut cycle.

• cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 6'3". If the bod pods are to be believed I have around 205 of LBM. Only lifted weights about 15 years ago in HS... wow that's a punch in the gut... I am shooting for about 250 myself anything less and I think I will look too skinny

I know it really isn't exactly what you were looking for
  • EdDowning2
    EdDowning2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    6'4" here currently at 225 down from 260.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Just to add. If you decide to cut down to 10-12% before your first bulk, be prepared to be called skinny by just about every person who hasnt seen you in the last month or more. I ignore it knowing I'll be bulking and putting on another 30 pounds in no time, but it gets pretty irritating when people keep commenting.

There is benefit to cutting down to 10-12% first. Namely, your more insulin sensative at lower BF% and you are thus more efficient at building muscle.
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    Just to add. If you decide to cut down to 10-12% before your first bulk, be prepared to be called skinny by just about every person who hasnt seen you in the last month or more. I ignore it knowing I'll be bulking and putting on another 30 pounds in no time, but it gets pretty irritating when people keep commenting.

There is benefit to cutting down to 10-12% first. Namely, your more insulin sensative at lower BF% and you are thus more efficient at building muscle.

A couple people have told me I'm good where I am and that 170 is too low. I'm like do you not see these man boobs, how I still look like a barrel from the side, and the fat on my face? And you aren't the ones who have to see this body unclothed LOL
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Guy here. Barefoot I am just a smidge under 6'3 and I have been fluctuating between 305 to 315 lbs the past few months. Years ago I was about 20 lbs shy of hitting 500 lbs. My goal overall is to get around 200-220 with a body fat % of 20 or less. I lift 2-3× a week and cardio 3x a week.

My progress on the scale has stalled but I am not to hung up on it since I still am making progress in other ways, inches lost, clothes feeling looser, strength and stamina increasing. I also check my body fat % with one of the electronic hand held devices and that shows progress too.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    48 y.o
    6'5"
    SW: 258
    CW: 228
    GW: 210

I'm starting to do some core work. As I get closer to GW I may start doing some lifting, but not a huge amount.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    6'3" here. I'm 210-215, and that's my comfort zone. I'm working on recomping, but last year I did cut down to 196. Way too light on my frame.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I am 6'4" tall. I want to cut my weight from 250 to 190 before I start trying to bulk up and get my muscles looking ripped. Currently I do lift weights a couple days a week to maintain the muscles I do have.
  • mgdiock
    mgdiock Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I am 6'5" and aiming for 195. I am not doing too much in the bulking department, but I am getting more into my old Army routine of pushups and situps. Also, I don't run, but walk a lot. Running never gave me the supposed high and I had issues with bad shin splints. My goal, even if I appear ultra-thin is to be stronger and with greater endurance. I love hiking, and I want to be an animal on the mountain. If I get more muscular in the process, so be it. I won't worry as long as my body stays between 195 and 205 and the weight I am gaining is muscle.
  • jimmy_jama
    jimmy_jama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" tall. Currently 195lbs. Down from 210lbs at the start of my new regime on 27th June. I'm aiming for between 173 - 182. The goal is to lose the beer belly.

Finding the fitnesspal suggested calorie intake quite easy to stick to at the moment (1560 per day), though I don't beat myself up if I go over once a week.

I've never been much of a gym bunny (don't like exercising indoors) but I love my running.
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    jimmy_jama wrote: »
    I'm 6'1" tall. Currently 195lbs. Down from 210lbs at the start of my new regime on 27th June. I'm aiming for between 173 - 182. The goal is to lose the beer belly.

Oh hey we are almost "MFP twins" or whatever the kids call it. I started around 215 and am around 184 now. My belly/boobs have shrunk but I am still not completely satisfied with how they are yet. You can see pics on my profile if you'd like

I've had 170 as my lofty "someday" goal for years and the longer I go the more I think i chose well.
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nice to see this thread. 6ft, 47 yr 284 lbs.

After prolonged frustrations at not losing weight at 225 lbs despite MFP at varying calories, not sweating despite intense gym effort, injuries, and stresses from family deaths and life, I neglected to exercise or record meals over the past two years and found myself 55 lbs heavier.

Fortunately, my injuries are healed and my doctors recently did labs that found I had a low thyroid. They started me on meds and told me to eat no more than 1500 calories.

I'm sweating like a pig when I work out these days and am progressively getting stronger and more endurance. I'm alternating workouts between lifting weights and cardio with one rest day a week. I know it's going to be a long process but I'm feeling better each day.

Friend me if you want.