Soda pop!

Options
hellloooo everyone. I am on my weight loss journey. I've only been doing this for 9 days but it's getting easier every day to stay aware to what I'm putting in my body and my triggers. The only problem I'm having is with soda. I cannot stop craving it. I can't stand the after taste of artificial sweeteners and i feel like it's just the bubbles that I'm craving. I want to stop drinking it all together but I've really seen I'm addicted to it lol does anyone use a soda stream or have any suggestions? I feel like Pop is the only thing that's standing in my way of reaching my goals.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    How much of it do you drink a day?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Drink diet soda. There are tons to choose from. If you just like the bubbles, buy soda water.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Either give it up or work it into your calories
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It took me years of slowly cutting back to finally give it up completely and I'm glad I did. I use to drink coke for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now I haven't had one in over two months and no more cravings. Give it a little more time and the cravings will stop.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Try seltzer or flavored waters. I quit cold turkey and it was hard but worth it. I only drink water and iced tea now and glad I kicked the habit. You're right about the cravings...it was bad for me.
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Water and fruit flavoring
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I cut out all sodas about 8 months ago when I first started using MFP, which was a drastic step and I regret doing that in hindsight. Maybe if you have a plan to eliminate one serving a day and gradually back off it would help. I switched to water flavored with Mio or Crystal Light which did help a lot so I didn't feel as deprived. Now I've started to work one 20 ounce bottle of diet soda a day into my diet plan but I can take it or leave it. You will get through this :)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Iced tea!
  • PuckTard
    PuckTard Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Iced tea!

^^This! I had to cut out soda completely.. I was an all day soda chugger. Tea was the only thing that seemed to work as a replacement and I slowly cut that out as well. The last time I had a "cheat" soda, it was way too sweet and I couldn't even drink more than a few sips. Slow and steady, progress is progress. :)
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Try flavored carbonated waters like La Croix. I LOVE the lime flavor. Grapefruit is also tasty.
  • wwh140
    wwh140 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 2 of the 20 oz bottles a day so I know what you mean. When I started my journey I cut back to 1/2 bottle per day for a week or so then if I really felt like I needed one I would have a small bottle or can of one of the diet ones - Coke Zero and Diet Sunkist Orange are pretty good. Also, the flavored fizzy waters are good for the bubbles. I mostly drink water now with some iced tea or a bit of a diet soda on occasion and skim milk with cereal once in a while. Good luck. The cravings will eventually go away, just give it time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips about soda from the MFP blog:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-better-beverage-challenge/
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/so-you-want-to-stop-drinking-soda/
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/6-tips-to-make-tea-taste-better-than-soda/

2. Create a tea mocktail. Tea can be added to a variety of mocktail recipes that are full of other fun, fresh ingredients. During the summer, you can make a ginger peach tea punch with chilled chai black tea, fresh ginger and ginger syrup, and fresh peaches. Pour it over ice and you have an instantly refreshing, hydrating seasonal sipper. Also consider adding sparking water to your tea mocktails to curb that hankering for carbonation.
  • lissiestel
    lissiestel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do not do artificial sweeteners, they are your enemy! I was hooked on soda too, there is a flavored soda water option that is JUST carbonated water and natural fruit flavor. I drink the grapefruit and lime flavors, our Aldi carries both the name brand and their version called LaVie. Over ice, with citrus fruit slices in it it is very good. I put lime in the lime one, and either lemon or grapefruit in the grapefruit one. Hubby drinks soda, so this helps me resist grabbing it!
  • Colures
    Colures Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It may sound a bit weird, but have you tried exercising? Soda is by far my biggest crux and giving it up was incredibly difficult. The problem was I just didn't like the taste of water at all (I know, I know... water supposedly doesn't have a taste). But I've found that on days I exercise my body craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaves water, it doesn't want any sugary concoctions at all.

On rest days I still have to spike my water with a little lime juice or have an iced tea instead, but so far I haven't had a drop of soda in over a month.
  • Cricket1515
    Cricket1515 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use a Soda Stream. It's the bubbles for me too. I find that I will reach for carbonated water, but only reach for plain water after exercising. When I want to make it more interesting, I'll add a tbsp of tart cherry concentrate. Supposedly tart cherry reduces inflammation, but really I just like the taste.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper damn nearly killed me! But I kicked the habit, back in the late 90s. It's worth the effort, water tastes great now, and some coffee in the morning. It makes life so much simpler, not stumbling around on the streets at dawn looking for an angry cola fix.
  • jean_rennolds
    jean_rennolds Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about the soda. I have the same problem. I have been able to cut back. In fact I was almost completely off of them at one time till I had nothing else to drink. I can't stand the tap water here it's nasty. I was to the point where I was drinking glass after glass of soda. I can and have and sometimes still do go through an entire 2 liter a day. The thing I found to make it easier was something called smart water. It's bottled water that has enzymes in it and it tastes better then most bottled water. You'd think water wouldn't have a funny after taste cause it's not suppose to have a taste at all but most of it does. I guess it's the plastic bottles but I found smart water doesn't have that funny after taste. Plus I don't like it but one of my daughters does, you can get seltzer water if it's just the fizz. but it takes will power too. good luck.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had a soda addiction as well. I've switched to those Dasani Sparkling (carbonated water with a hint of fruit flavoring - no artificial sweeteners or flavoring, 0 calories) because I need the bubbles. I don't like plain water. I basically drink 2-3 cans of this stuff a day.

I do still allow myself soda once in awhile in moderation - like this weekend when we were out of town and stopped at McDonalds for lunch on the drive home. I also had half of a bottle of my husband's Mountain Dew last night because I'm in the throes of a migraine and the caffeine and sweetness are helpful. But I log every last sip (actually, I was impressed that I didn't drink the whole thing last night - it was way too sweet for me for some reason). So it can be done in moderation. It's a treat now, not a daily need.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I drink a bit of Pepsi every day. I still lose weight as long as I track it. There is nothing more to it than calories.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    Try flavored carbonated waters like La Croix. I LOVE the lime flavor. Grapefruit is also tasty.

I love La Croix. If it's too blah for you try adding a lime wedge-delicious.

As far as the taste of artificial sweetener-have you tried Coke zero? IMO-it has a way better taste than diet coke, no aftertaste. I enjoy a few every day. The cherry coke zero is delicious as well.