Indian and Sushi

Options
Seanb_us
Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
On a paltry 1380 calories per day, is sushi or Indian food possible (in CT, America)? What would you suggest.

For example, chicken vindaloo (admittedly British, not Indian) seems upwards of 800 calories per reasonable portion. And, sushi-wise, a simple tuna roll seems 200 calories per piece.

Thoughts? Is just really small portions (or adding massive exercise) the only solution?

Cheers,

Sean

Replies

• rigden1992c
    rigden1992c Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've managed both before on a 1200 calorie day... as long as you don't choose a curry that's got loads of sauce (I find tandoori are the lowest calorie options with the most flavour) or sushi rolls with mayo (I find simple veg ones are lowest too, also gives a nice cruncj) then you should be fine... btw I am from the UK but I think it would be the same out there for you too :smile: hope that helps :smile:
  • Seanb_us
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks! For some reason, things like Indian food get a little Americanized, which adds 50% more calories ;) Will give it a whirl, though. Cheers.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You're talking a tuna hand roll? Just tuna and rice and nori? Of an average size, 5-8 pieces per roll? NOT 200 calories per piece. Maybe 200 for the entire roll (assuming it's not larger than typical or dolled up with sauces and tempura and such). A piece of tuna nigiri is maybe 50 calories. If you're talking just putting together a calorie-reasonable and satisfying meal and not going crazy at an AYCE buffet, sushi is actually a fantastic choice.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I can never log sushi because I have no idea what is a portion. Where I go we get little rolls about 6" long and about 1"-2" in diameter. I have no idea how many calories are in these. As opposed to the giant "log" things they make that are supposed to feed multiple people.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Go for the tandoori.... And sashimi.

Avoid anything fried.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Choose sashimi instead of sushi. The rice is what adds most of the calories. Then it is VERY easy to eat low cal and get lots of heart healthy fats and protein in the process.

Indian...skip the dishes with lots of creamy sauces. Chicken tika masala has A LOT of calories. Go for Tandoori chicken instead...and dramatically cut your rice and bread servings.

Also, there is no rule that says you must clean your plate. Restaurant servings in the US are HUGE. Eat half and take the rest home to have the next day.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Go for the tandoori.... And sashimi.

Avoid anything fried.

Yep, and miso soup, that carrot ginger dressed salad, and some edamame or seaweed salad. Get the pappadom instead of (delicious, delicious) naan, eat tandoori and kebob dishes.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Seanb_us wrote: »
    On a paltry 1380 calories per day, is sushi or Indian food possible (in CT, America)? What would you suggest.

For example, chicken vindaloo (admittedly British, not Indian) seems upwards of 800 calories per reasonable portion. And, sushi-wise, a simple tuna roll seems 200 calories per piece.

Thoughts? Is just really small portions (or adding massive exercise) the only solution?

Cheers,

Sean
    Why are you only eating 1380cals per day? The recommended minimum for males is 1500cals per day.

I've also found that cooking Indian recipes at home helps to control the calories. You can make some substitutions like low-fat plain yogurt and reduce the oil to help it meet your goals.
  • hornseyme
    hornseyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sushi shouldn't be made calories at all if done correctly. Also grilled meats, like shashlik are fine if you get the sauce separate
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    You're talking a tuna hand roll? Just tuna and rice and nori? Of an average size, 5-8 pieces per roll? NOT 200 calories per piece. Maybe 200 for the entire roll (assuming it's not larger than typical or dolled up with sauces and tempura and such). A piece of tuna nigiri is maybe 50 calories. If you're talking just putting together a calorie-reasonable and satisfying meal and not going crazy at an AYCE buffet, sushi is actually a fantastic choice.

This. Not every one of the slices on a roll is 200 calories- That would be nuts!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    BarbieAS wrote: »

This. Not every one of the slices on a roll is 200 calories- That would be nuts!

At sushi - avoid anything tempura and avoid things with a spicy sauce since it's usually made of mayo. Otherwise you're pretty golden.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Thanks all! 1380? Because that's what MFP set me up for. ;)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    One other option...if you only eat them occasionally (like a couple of times a week) you can try eating less on other days. If you have baked chicken with green veggies or similar low calorie meals on some other days and eat less than 1380, you can apply those calories to a little splurge when you eat out. A lot of people (including me) routinely try to "save" calories for social occasions, the weekend, whatever. You don't need to eat the same amount every day...you can look at it on a weekly basis. 1200 one day and 1560 the next still average out to 1380 in the end.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Good idea. I do bank calories. For example, this Friday is monthly cards night ....