How many calories does one burn in 30min spin class?

Options
Hi All,

I have just come back to MFP after a couple of years gap and am being more committed this time to shed the same and extra weight i am carrying.

Just did a spin class a lunch time but couldnt find the calories burned for this exercise, can anyone help??

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It varies person to person and class to class, but 210 cals is probably a reasonable approximation.
  • jotti101
    jotti101 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh I thought I might have burned a bit more with the way I was sweating! Thanks anyway.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Try finding a 60 minute class that you like -- those burn about 600 cals if you do them correctly. :smile:
  • jotti101
    Options
    Yes, you are right and I wish they did do an hour class but most of the classes are for lunch time or only 30 mins. I usually do 30 mins on the treadmill then do some weights and do over an hour, today I just wanted to do something and this suited me as I cannot go gym after work today.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the intensity (average watts). I push hard in spin classes and average over 200 watts, peak over 500 on hard climbs and crazy sprints.
    But others barely make 100W average.
    The most I've ever burned on one class, including the 10 minutes warming up before the 1 hour class started is 900kCal according to the Keiser bike meter.
    Wearing an HRM will help get a more accurate number. The Keiser bikes at the Y read my Polar transmitter so I don't have to look at my watch.
  • jotti101
    Options
    Wow, thats a lot of calories, I would be afraid to eat all the extra calories! I would feel that I am not on a diet. I am on a healthy way of eating and not on a diet but I would still feel that I would need to refrain from eating the calories I have burned off.
  • jotti101
    Options
    And thanks for the advice, I was thinking of getting a Polar transmitter anyway.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    Try finding a 60 minute class that you like -- those burn about 600 cals if you do them correctly. :smile:

That would be 10 calories per minute. For someone that is not fit...it is difficult to do. For that unfit person to keep it up for an hour...I find that unlikely.

People that are fit can burn that easily however they too would find it hard to keep that intensity up for that long.

Most people on average probably burn 6-8 calories per minute.

• ZabaZaba81
    ZabaZaba81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, last time i went to a spin class ( 60 min) I was able to burn 675 cal according to my heart rate monitor. Classes are pretty intense though. My flat gear was 10 and highest 15 on hills.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    ZabaZaba81 wrote: »
    Hey, last time i went to a spin class ( 60 min) I was able to burn 675 cal according to my heart rate monitor. Classes are pretty intense though. My flat gear was 10 and highest 15 on hills.

HRMs count heart beats ... they are not calorie calculators.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'd probably burn about 200 calories in 30 min. When I'm on an hour long bike ride- about 13 or so miles, I burn about 500. I attribute the higher calorie burn during the second half to the fact that now my body is working harder, heart rate is higher, etc. :smiley:
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

That would be 10 calories per minute. For someone that is not fit...it is difficult to do. For that unfit person to keep it up for an hour...I find that unlikely.

People that are fit can burn that easily however they too would find it hard to keep that intensity up for that long.

Most people on average probably burn 6-8 calories per minute.

It is difficult to do, but if you do it correctly, 600 calories is about how much the average person burns in a class. A person who isn't in shape, but still gives it their best effort, would probably burn MORE calories, not less.

For example: when I first started doing spin class several years ago, a 60 minute class would burn 700+ calories for me (I was about 15 pounds overweight at the time and used a HRM). As I got more fit, I burned less, except when I was teaching a class. When I was teaching a class, I'd regularly burn 700+. I now hold two different teaching certifications for spinning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    the calorie burn would not be the same for everyone. it's going to depend on your physical stats as well as what your intensity was and distance traveled.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Now I remember why I hate the forums.

Guess what people... it's all a big fat guestimate anyways. Get over trying to be "accurate". Make a reasonable estimate, log your cals (both cals in and cals out), and see how things go over time. If your expected results are fairly close to your actual results, keep doing what you're doing. If not, make a small tweak to how you estimate and repeat the process.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

doubtful...especially if the individual performing the exercise is not fit to begin with...it's fecking hard to burn 10 calories per minute above your basal burn.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Guess what people... it's all a big fat guestimate anyways. Get over trying to be "accurate". Make a reasonable estimate, log your cals (both cals in and cals out), and see how things go over time. If your expected results are fairly close to your actual results, keep doing what you're doing. If not, make a small tweak to how you estimate and repeat the process.

All of this.

Even if you could get a reasonably accurate figure for calories out anyone who thinks they are getting an accurate figure for calorie in per day to within say 100 calories is probably deluding themselves anyway...
  • jotti101
    Options
    I always tend to calculate the calories that i eat and using the bar codes I can total accurately and the exercise calories are a bonus.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do spin classes all the time. I don't wear a heart rate monitor tho.. according to the bike I usually burn 400 cals in a 45 min class and 500 in a 55 min class. I'd say 200-300 is reasonable. Don't eat back all of your calories and it won't really matter, that's what I do haha
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    jotti101 wrote: »
    Wow, thats a lot of calories, I would be afraid to eat all the extra calories! I would feel that I am not on a diet. I am on a healthy way of eating and not on a diet but I would still feel that I would need to refrain from eating the calories I have burned off.

That's actually low compared to my swim burn. ~1500 for my morning wake up 4 mile swim :)
    "eat to lose weight. exercise to eat more" is my preferred mode.