Supplements & Vitamins

Kiwi_09
Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
Currently my boyfriend and are taking cayenne pills. I've read on the web about it helping your metabolism and digestion. Not too sure if it's really helped since I've been dieting, exercise and eating better.

Are there any supplements or vitamins you recommend getting?

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,013 Member
    I love my GNC Women's Ultra Mega Energy Vitamins. There's like 4 pills in the little daily pouch. Totally awesome. Right off the bat, I noticed more energy. I have been on them for a month and a few days. I just love them.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Cinnamon !! is very good - for curbing appetite.
    I take Omega3 capsules and multivitamin every morning. I think it helps in the healthy department.
    Ground flax seed is good for blood sugar and cholesterol
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, calcium, iron, and Super B complex everyday. The B is supposed to help with metabolism and energy. :)
  • steph5565
    steph5565 Posts: 36
    I take calcium and fiber gummy vitamins in addition to a multivitamin. Just be sure to record all your supplements - they can really add up (they can be like 10-15 calories a pop, so depending on how many you're taking, that could be like 100 calories!).
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    I take a multi-vitamin - it's the bomb. Mine is from a company www.xtendlife.com It has TONS of awesome stuff in it. I also take fish oil (from the same company) as well as whey protein powder supplement and a Branched Chain Amino Acid supplement.

As another person pointed out - log your calories. My supplements alone each day are 115 calories!
  • itnetpro
    itnetpro Posts: 10
    I did a couple months research on Vitamins a couple of years ago and came across a very extensive guide that tested hundreds of vitamins. Eventually I choose this brand http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1194/. I order both from Amazon on their subscription plan and not only pay no tax but free shipping and monthly discount to boot because of the subscription. My wife and I both take 3 in the morning with a meal and three in the evening.

http://multivitaminguide.org/index-tx.html

This is one of the best sources I found for comparing various vitamins. When I was doing my research a couple of years ago. They provided the entire PDF comparing all the various different brands. I don't see the list here but if you read through the story you will find the top 10 listed. I researched the cost and choose the Source Naturals brand over the other top 10 because of actual cost which is lower then the site had them.

John...
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Vitamins and Omega3s are a must, from there its all about specifics.
    I like Milk Thistle (liver support) as a #3 mandatory because the liver is the digestive/hormonal/storage gateway to the body.

Outside of that its all about function, if the objective is to increase metabolism, caffeine can do that.

What kind of function do want these supplements to perform?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I take fishoil before workouts because it has been shown that people who do, burn more fat during their workouts. I also take a potassium supplement after my work out and usually a snack with some protein in it. It helps with soreness. I take chromium thats in a blood sugar supplement daily since it helps curb appetite
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    if you eat healthy then you dont need sups
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    You could eat INSANELY healthy and still not be getting the nutrients you need. Check it out. Go to fitday.com and enter you food and it will compute your nutrients. You will see what elements you are deficient in. It's quite telling. I could go on and on about supplements and herbs, but then again I am very pro based on my background in healthcare and natural medicine.

Here is *some* of what I take:

B Complex
    Complete Probiotic
    Vitamin D
    Folic Acid
    Nician
    Omega-3
    Calcium
    Aloe Vera Juice
    Triphala
    Vitamin C
    Multi-Vitamin
    Flax Seed
    Hydrangea

This is no indicator of substituting for how I eat. I eat very clean, natural and organic. Healthy. Again, I take more supplement... just trying to think off the top of my head and too tired to thumb through my diary right now ;)
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    I take:

- Multivitamin from Kirkland [almost out, finally...going to try a different brand as soon as it's gone, darn huge bottles!]
    - Vitamin D gummies
    - Calcium
    - Fish Oil
    - Vitamin E
    - Glucosamin + MSM from kirkland

I think that's it. I also take ON Whey protein. I used to take Flax seed oil, but I ran out and never replaced it. Osteoporosis, etc runs in my family and I never drank much milk growing up, so I'm a little paranoid about it so I try to take as much calcium and vit D as is safe.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    I take a multi, vit d, Omega 3-6-9, Calcium and Mulberry Leaf.
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Vitamins and Omega3s are a must, from there its all about specifics.
    I like Milk Thistle (liver support) as a #3 mandatory because the liver is the digestive/hormonal/storage gateway to the body.

Outside of that its all about function, if the objective is to increase metabolism, caffeine can do that.

What kind of function do want these supplements to perform?

The increasing metabolism was one of the reasons, but for other health benefits as well.
This discussion has been closed.