When you hit maintenance, if you stopped tracking cals how long until you gained?

2»

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    With your current profile pic, that's just plain creepy-stalkerish.

Deal with lots of creepy-stalky knights in armour, do you? :)

It's re-enactment stuff.
  • binglebandit
    binglebandit Posts: 531 Member
    Even if I try my best to count calories at maintenance, I still manage to slowly gain weight back during the holidays and visiting family (not able to count calories and way too much good food). Also I'm more inclined to cheat when I know that I'm at a relatively good place weight wise. I would say unless you make really good changes to your everyday life, you'll most likely want to count to some degree when you maintain. I think another important factor is to continue to be active in some way.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    mccindy is a mchottie. :)

With your current profile pic, that's just plain creepy-stalkerish. However, McHottie does give good advice. Carry on..

Yes, yes, we should all be more cheeped out by a chivalrous knight than a man in uniform. At least she could outrun someone in full armor.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I was driving my family crazy tracking everything, it really works better when you do track everything. When I lost fifty pounds and hit my maintenance weight I decided that I was retrained on how to eat properly and I did great. Than I slacked off my running due to a renovation project. I like to drink beer when doing construction work so that didn't help. Last but not least I ate everything between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I put twenty pounds on fast. I am now running again and the pounds are coming back off. If this stops working I will start logging again. To the OP, You should give up mayo and pop tarts because nothing good is going to happen with those two around.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    I just hit goal weight on Monday so this is my first week of maintenance. I don't plan to stop tracking because I plan to someday die at my current weight! LOL
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    slp51 wrote: »
    I just hit goal weight on Monday so this is my first week of maintenance. I don't plan to stop tracking because I plan to someday die at my current weight! LOL

congratulations!
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    I gained 10 lbs of the 50 lbs I lost after about 2.5 years of maintaining without counting calories. To be honest, I definitely could have continued to maintain without counting, but my life style completely changed and I didn't care enough to stop when I started to notice that I was gaining.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    I was driving my family crazy tracking everything, it really works better when you do track everything. When I lost fifty pounds and hit my maintenance weight I decided that I was retrained on how to eat properly and I did great. Than I slacked off my running due to a renovation project. I like to drink beer when doing construction work so that didn't help. Last but not least I ate everything between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I put twenty pounds on fast. I am now running again and the pounds are coming back off. If this stops working I will start logging again. To the OP, You should give up mayo and pop tarts because nothing good is going to happen with those two around.

Life without mayonnaise would be no life for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    It's been about 13 years. I didn't log to lose though.
    I do weigh daily and every time the scale ticks up more than a few I get much more careful.
  • FairyDandy
    FairyDandy Posts: 15 Member
    4 years ago I lost 95lb with WeightWatchers. Decided I knew it all and stopped pointing. Now I'm back at it losing the same 95lb again. Hopefully when I am back to my goal weight this time I will not be so arrogant about tracking. I will always need to do it as I have an incredible ability to overeat! This is my second attempt at weight loss and this time my plan includes maintenance.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Just came back from vacation and am shocked my clothes still fit. I was sure I'd gained 10 pounds. It's more like two in two weeks. Well worth it, but glad it's over. Going without logging was enough to remind me what happens when I don't log. I will always need to log, but I'm perfectly okay with it now. Without logging, I can easily eat another meal's worth of calories after dinner just because. The truth in those little red numbers really help me see I'm not eating because of hunger.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Don't think of this as a diet it's a lifestyle you have to dump the old lifestyle of eating everyhing in site to a new lifestyle of eating healthy for the rest of your life. If logging helps support you staying on track then it's part of your new lifestyle.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    I haven't gained back any yet but it is early days. I am still logging but not weighing every single thing anymore. You probably need to weigh food until your eyeball method is pretty close. I test myself sometimes and I am not too far off with eyeballing it. I weighed food for probably a year though before getting there.