Do you weigh everything, even packaged foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• pzyxian
    pzyxian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weigh as much as possible but not pkg foods while i trust the label.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    No.

If I can grab one "unit" without measuring, I won't weigh it. A pre-sliced piece of cheese is one example of something I wouldn't weigh. Sure, one slice may be over, but the next will be under, and I know that I got 3lb of cheese to start with, so who cares, it'll even out eventually.

Why do I not really care? Because I'm losing at a rate of 1.5-2lb per week. If I'm over by 100 calories in a day, I'd still be losing at 1.3-1.8lb per week. If I ever really stopped losing weight (i.e. stuck for over a month and was properly logging everything), then I'd just decrease my calorie intake a little bit. I might have a different view if I wasn't loosing weight at all, but I've never had a problem losing weight if I stick to a ~1700 (or even 2000) calorie diet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So those English muffins I mentioned yesterday? The one I had today was 74g instead of 57g. 50 extra calories right there.

And I got some Lindt chocolate once, it said a square was 10g... try 16g. Ugh that was a bad one.

That's why I weigh.
    irenehb wrote: »
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    If it comes prepackaged or proportioned, I don't bother weighing it. If anything, its more likely to be short then over.

Other way around. More likely to be over than short. Manufacturers want you to think it's less than it is. It's a selling gimmick for those that read labels. "Oh look, this is only 100 cals". Meanwhile, it's 160.

^Agree.
    On top of that manufacturers are required to provide the minimum amount (what is listed on the nutrition label), at least in Australia.
    For example, I have eaten Chobani passionfruit 2% probably around 100 times over the last year or 2, and never has it weighed the stated 170 grams. Once it weighed 171 and quite a few times 172 g, but mostly 173-175 and twice 179 grams.
    I know in the grand scheme of things it isn't much more calories for this item but it can add up, especially for items like bread or calorifically-dense products.
    Actually, a chocolate bar (rocky road, darrell lea. Think only available in Australia) says 2 serves of 25 grams per bar but the bar weight is apparently 60 grams. I have weighed one bar as high as 90 grams.

Sigh I guess I'll start weighing yogurt cups too :(
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    A related question, how many of you calibrate your scales?
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is. Prepackaged stuff, like a granola bar, I don't. For now this works for me, though if ever it stops, I'll start weighing those as well to make sure. I don't imagine it's THAT far off to cause issues for me right now though.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I already had a 200 g calibration weight, so I do check. But scale is cheap with no means of changing if wrong.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

I already had a 200 g calibration weight, so I do check. But scale is cheap with no means of changing if wrong.

This. My first scale was $15, and started acting wonky after two years of faithful service, so I retired it with full honors, and replaced it with a shiny new one. Pretty!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I weigh stuff like that yes. Bread slices, single serve snacks, etc. I had 100 calorie packs of almonds and by weight they were closer to 150 calories. My bread usually is about 10 calories more by weight than a serving size of 2 slices should be according to the label.

The bread slices evening out in the end by some being under/some over only works if you are going to eat the whole loaf of bread and the whole loaf of bread weighs what it should. It's actually very rare for me to get a slice of bread that weighs under what it should which to me is a sign that the whole loaf weighs more than it should. My cheese slices typically weigh what they should, but I always check anyway since I could get a package that is just as off as my bread typically is.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I don't anymore. After months spent paying attention, I realized that it was likely all a wash in the end. Some prepackaged stuff was way under, some way over. It hasn't negatively impacted my weight loss.

I do weigh all fresh stuff, or anything I have to portion out myself.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'll sometimes check its accuracy by weighing my Fitbit One, which is 8g according to the website. My new scale needs a fairly odd weight, can't remember exactly what at the moment, to calibrate so I won't bother. I'll just buy a new one if it craps out

• sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just bought a portable scale on Amazon that tucks nicely in my purse. I don't intend to make a big deal out of it, but it was easy last night to casually weigh a slider at a local restaurant. It turned out to be quite a bit more than the website stated. I really bought it to take to work. We have a cafeteria at work with servers who think they are doing you a favor by dishing up huge portions. On our intranet all nutrition values are posted for normal servings (listed in grams) so it makes it easy to log, when you know the weight of the serving. I take it back to my department where I weigh it before I eat. I don't care what others think if it helps me keep losing! I don't always have time to pack a lunch.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just bought a portable scale on Amazon that tucks nicely in my purse. I don't intend to make a big deal out of it, but it was easy last night to casually weigh a slider at a local restaurant. It turned out to be quite a bit more than the website stated. I really bought it to take to work. We have a cafeteria at work with servers who think they are doing you a favor by dishing up huge portions. On our intranet all nutrition values are posted for normal servings (listed in grams) so it makes it easy to log, when you know the weight of the serving. I take it back to my department where I weigh it before I eat. I don't care what others think if it helps me keep losing! I don't always have time to pack a lunch.

That is really awesome. I think it's amazing you are taking so much care into it. I think I might get me an extra scale so I can do this when out and about.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I don't, although I've seen people complain that things aren't accurate. For now, what I'm doing is working; if it stops working, I know I'll need to tighten up my logging, and this could be one thing I need to do.

Ditto
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weigh any packaged food that gives me a serving size in grams (even if it gives me additional types like "2 cookies" or "about 5 pretzels").
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    this is a great topic. I don't typically weigh the pre-portioned items but I am going to start doing this to ensure I am logging my calories accurately! (at least for now while I am trying to lose).
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh most single serving foods (like a protein bar, for example). I do however weigh anything else. For example, a freezer entree from Trader Joes that I eat often claims to have 2.5 servings but really has 2.7. The pita bread that I buy is actually 1.1-1.2 servings per pita, not 1 serving.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I weigh nothing. I use measuring cups and for meat I use the weight on the package and divide by portion number. I find guestimating works just fine (but I try to over estimate rather than under estimate because I'd only be cheating myself). For eating out I compare meat to the size of a deck of cards (4oz) when no weight is listed and use what the palm of my hand can hold for a half cup measurement (get a measuring cup and try different things at home so you know what they look like- 6 medium sized pieces of broccoli, about 12 green beans, etc).

Scales are obviously more accurate. I'm just not interested in paying or taking the time.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    noel2fit wrote: »
    I weigh nothing. I use measuring cups and for meat I use the weight on the package and divide by portion number. I find guestimating works just fine (but I try to over estimate rather than under estimate because I'd only be cheating myself). For eating out I compare meat to the size of a deck of cards (4oz) when no weight is listed and use what the palm of my hand can hold for a half cup measurement (get a measuring cup and try different things at home so you know what they look like- 6 medium sized pieces of broccoli, about 12 green beans, etc).

Scales are obviously more accurate. I'm just not interested in paying or taking the time.

Using measuring cups is incredibly inaccurate, especially with foods that are more dense (will weigh more). As far as paying and taking the time? A digital food scale costs around $15, and it doesn't take any longer to weigh your food than it does to measure (often less, as you aren't putting everything into and then removing it from measuring cups).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And not cleaning up the cups later either.

Bowl or plate on the scale - zero out - add your item, either to the serving size stated, or what you want and now you know the weight. I have scrap paper and pen right there, write the weight down - deal with it later.

Weighing is actually much easier I think.