Oops!

Options
My food diary tonight said that I'm putting myself into "starvation mode" because I didn't consume 1200 calories today. It wasn't intentional. I actually didn't eat any differently than I have for the past several months with the exception of the fact that I actually ADDED IN a snack this afternoon and, instead of drinking my usual iced tea or lemonade, I drank water all day.

I always have a glass of milk either alone or with a bowl of cereal, a cereal bar, or a packet of breakfast mix [granola, raisins, nuts, etc.] for breakfast, then I skip lunch and I never used to eat anything for supper until after 9:00 in the evening when my family came for the last time of the night to help me out of the bathroom and I put the cat to bed. [I'm disabled and need help getting off of the toilet, so my family comes over at night to help me out, and then I get ready for bed and make supper, etc. once they leave]. However, since beginning MFP a week ago, I have also been incorporating a snack in the afternoon, which is something that I never used to do. Other than incorporating the afternoon snack and making sure to exercise everyday, I have started eating healthier. For example, tonight I made a hamburger patty, in which I mixed the ground beef with a tablespoon of sun dried tomato vinaigrette and broiled vs. using seasoning salt to season, pan frying, and dipping in ketchup.

Since I really haven't changed my eating HABITS [except for adding in a snack], just changed the foods I eat to healthier choices, and I'm exercising more, what would you recommend so that I'm not putting myself into this "starvation mode"? I'm actually feeling full since eating supper. The reason I skip dinner is because I don't even eat breakfast until 10:00 a.m., so by the time I'm finished with breakfast, it's almost noon! [And I don't get hungry throughout the day ....]

~Beth

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    omg..dont worry about what mfp says..starvation mode is a myth.
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Idk about starvation mode being a myth.. when i dont eat enough I don't lose...

I would give it a week and see if it effects your loss- you have to do whats bes for you.

If you find your body retaining I would consider adding some protien.
  • FATGIRLFANTASY
    FATGIRLFANTASY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good to know starvation mode is a myth because it says im constantly in it.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I completely believe in the starvation mode. When I lost my weight last year, every time I didn't eat over 1100 calories, I wouldn't lose weight in that time. As soon as I would eat over 1200, then I would lose a couple. Maybe everyone is different for when their bodies go in to the mode, but for me it was accurate and I believe that everyone has that mode. It is the body's self defense mechanism.
  • Pamela3
    Pamela3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode is NOT a myth!
  • shassen
    shassen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is definitely not a myth! Never let yourself get to the point where you are starving. When you've reached this point, your body actually starts to eat your muscles as a fuel source. It is better to eat small meals throughout the day, which will also keep your insulin levels in check (if what your eating is not too high in sugar). If you aren't getting enough food during the day, your body will hold on to fat over muscle because it is a less nutritous source of energy. Also, if you feel extremely hungry, you are more likely to overeat at your next meal. Hope this helps.
  • bethy73
    bethy73 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks! That actually makes sense. Thing is, I never feel hungry. About 10 years ago I was really sick and we didn't know why. For almost 3 years I couldn't keep anything down. I lived on IV fluids given daily through a PICC line in my arm. I lost an enormous amount of weight, but that's not a fun way to go about doing it. But, when you can't eat for that long of a period of time, you just don't get hungry anymore and, to this day, I really don't get hungry anymore. The nice thing is, I fill up fairly easily too. Most of the time when we go out to eat, I end up bringing half of my meal home in a to-go box because I can't finish it all. I have started to incorporate a snack into my diet each day, which is something I never used to do. Maybe I need to make it a goal this week to add in another snack so I'm having two snacks each day.

Thanks again!

~Beth
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have had patients that has had PICC lines and long term IV nutrition therapy. When they started eating again, due to the same issues you voiced in your post, they would supplement their diet w/ ensure or boost (or whatever dietary supplement is most tasty--keep in mind, it is not the diet supplements, it is the dietary supplements). It is a higher calorie, high nutrition supplement that may help you get the calories that you need. Some people actually use it as their sole source of food intake due to their poor health issues, but you really should only use it as a source for nutrients and calories if you are having difficulties obtaining it in other methods.

Hope this helps!
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Starvation mode is definitely not a myth! Never let yourself get to the point where you are starving. When you've reached this point, your body actually starts to eat your muscles as a fuel source. It is better to eat small meals throughout the day, which will also keep your insulin levels in check (if what your eating is not too high in sugar). If you aren't getting enough food during the day, your body will hold on to fat over muscle because it is a less nutritous source of energy. Also, if you feel extremely hungry, you are more likely to overeat at your next meal. Hope this helps.

"Starvation mode" is not exactly a myth, but it is widely misunderstood. The biggest thing that is happening is the less food you consume, the lower the TEF (thermic effect of food). This will cause your body to essentially not burn the calories it would have seeing you ate that food.

I eat one or two large meals a day, and this IMO helps control hunger. I skip breakfast and eat at around noon, then again at 7pm. Eating multiple small meals a day has actually been shown to increase hunger. Unless you are diabetic, there is no reason to worry about insulin. Transient hormonal flucuations are largely irrelevant in overall body weight and composition.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    My food diary tonight said that I'm putting myself into "starvation mode" because I didn't consume 1200 calories today.
    If you want sensible advice about your food diary, you need to make it public.

However, this is a quick overview.

If you are an average woman who has eaten 1195 calories and it tells you you're in "starvation mode" ignore it. There is no leeway, even one calorie under will give you that message.
    If you are an extremely short woman, and you're consistently eating 1100 or so and it tells you you're in "starvation mode" you can probably ignore it.
    If you're an average woman who on one day for a particular reason (eg not feeling well) eats less than 1200 calories, you'll be fine. Your metabolism doesn't grind to a halt in one day!
    If you are an average woman eating less than 1200 calories every day, you may not be damaging your metabolism as much as some on here would have you believe, but you do need to try and eat more to get the nutrition you need.