Lactose Intolerance or Allergy?

Options
About 8 years ago I started to realize that whenever I ate or drank a dairy product, I would develop gastrointestinal "issues". It started on a small scale, progressing to the point today that I cannot have dairy at all unless it is lactose free. Within the last 2 years I also started to notice that the inside of my mouth & throat would literally itch if I tried to eat chocolate (only light chocolate though, dark is fine). Protein shakes do the same & I just tried to eat a Quest bar and after two bites my mouth & throat are itching like crazy. I know there a lot of LI people out there, just wondering if the itchy sensation goes along with that & is caused by the whey in the shakes/bars or if I might be looking at an allergy?

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've developed an allergy. Have you spoken with your doctor?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with a similar thing....figured out I have an issue with peanuts. It's gone from GI distress to full on allergic reaction. I now carry an epi pen. I suggest getting tested.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have not talked to my doctor about the itching, she knows about the lactose & has told me to just steer clear. I guess I should also stay away from whey products until I can get back in to see her.
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Probably a milk or milk derivative allergy. I had the same thing after having my daughter. Mine eventually went away over time but not to say that yours will though. If I were you I would go and get an allergy test done. You don't want to run into something you shouldn't eat and find yourself in a life threatening situation.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It could also be an allergy to whey or casein (both are milk proteins)...
    I'm allergic to one of those but never got tested. Mine causes eczema. And because I don't eat much dairy in attempt to avoid eczema, I am now also lactose intolerant (it's one of those "if you don't use it, you lose it" digestive bacteria things).
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I've got to tell you, see your doctor as soon as you can, before you have an anaphylactic reaction to something. That itching is like the first sign of an allergy requiring the use of an epi pen.

STAY AWAY from anything that has caused you this reaction until you can see your doc.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you for the responses, I will make an appointment to get tested...I literally took 2 small bites fom that Quest bar an hour ago, and although the itching has subsided I still feel miserable :s