I neeed a fitbit!

Options
Eve53
Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
Does anyone know a good place to get one on the cheap? Which one should I get? Is there a cheaper alternative? Any help/advice is appreciated. I don't want to rely on MFP's estimates of my exercise anymore.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Zip is US$60. Or you can probably find used Fitbits on Craigslist. Which model you choose entirely a matter of personal preference. They all calculate your TDEE and sync with MFP.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Eve53
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Eve53
    Options
    It looks like it doesn't count your heartrate though, so how is it measuring your burn?
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It measures steps taken.
  • Eve53
    Options
    That wouldn't help in the pool. Are there any that will?
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You can look on the Fitbit Website but I don't know that any of them are waterproof or count heartrate.
    But I am not positive. I have a Fitbit One and I love it. Just knowing my steps, stairs and miles I've walked gets me moving :smile:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    You can look on the Fitbit Website but I don't know that any of them are waterproof or count heartrate.

Charge HR and Surge are heart rate monitors, but they're not waterproof. And no Fitbits track swimming.

This article is from December:
    10 Waterproof Activity Trackers You Can Swim With
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469977,00.asp
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eve53 wrote: »
    It looks like it doesn't count your heartrate though, so how is it measuring your burn?

There are activity trackers and there are heart rate monitors. To get something that does both.....you will have to spend more.

Activity trackers are pretty decent for step based activities. So depending upon your workout, a FitBit may not be too bad.

Activity trackers are great for picking your activity level in MFP. Some people have active days, and not so active days. An activity tracker helps them decide. They may also encourage you to move more.

A heart rate monitor is designed for steady state cardio. So depending upon your workout a HRM may not even help much.
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Not a Fitbit, but the Misfit Shine claims to be waterproof up to 50 meters.
  • Alicereed91
    Alicereed91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Misfits are better if you prefer swimming x
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My fitbit zip gives me a good enough estimate. It is working great for me. I can't wear anything on my wrists at work so had to pick a model that I could clip onto my bra. No one knows it's their except me which is nice.
  • Eve53
    Options
    It sounds like none are going to help me count my burn in the pool. I guess I had the wrong idea. I really don't have much daily activity that I need to count calorie burn on, unless I go to the gym. That's all I really want it for.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I just sold my last Surge, new in box for $200 on eBay. That is a great deal.
  • Mkhoran13
    Mkhoran13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I wear my Fitbit flex in the pool all the time. It's "water resistant". The key is to throughly dry once your out (this applies to out of the shower too.

I got my flex (wristband with lights as status indicators) for $79 at Costco and it came with 4 bands.

But no it doesn't track well in the pool but when I track fitness through the Fitbit app it's a much better estimate in my option of the burn. (I find it really hard to believe that I burn 400 calories doing a light workout like MFP likes to estimate, Fitbit is closer to 190 calories for same actives).

There are two fitbits that track hr all day (surge hr and charge hr I believe ) but I can't image they'll play well with water.

Best of luck. If you can't afford or can't find a band that you like. Try runkeeper or similar apps to track your fitness. They usually aren't so generous as MFP and still sync to MFP.
  • Eve53
    Options
    Deathy13 wrote: »

Best of luck. If you can't afford or can't find a band that you like. Try runkeeper or similar apps to track your fitness. They usually aren't so generous as MFP and still sync to MFP.

Thanks this is a good idea! I'll check them out.