Nonbelievers

Options
This is really just a little rant. I started going to the gym about a month ago with my friend. About 5 days a week with a one hour MINIMUM work out. I've missed some days and cheated on a few meals, but I am losing weight and I'm proud at that. Getting thin isn't my goal, but getting healthy is.

Anyways, I put off the gym for awhile because I was self-concious. My mother and sister avidly go and they love the gym (I still hate it) so working along side them is fine, but it seems they forget that I started four weeks ago while they started about a year ago. My body just can't reach the limits theirs can and its more discouraging than anything.

When my friend wanted to go it was great! She's thinner than me, but we're both pretty out of shape and were at each others level. She had been going with her sister at another gym and was always talking about how good her workouts were and how awesome she felt. But her sister was leaving and I was going to sign up at a gym that was a lot cheaper and had more available.

You know what she said to me? "I don't want to switch gyms if you aren't going to go." WELL. Haha

Among the other days I've been ditched, I waited all day Monday for her only to have her bail last minute so it was just too late for me to go, yesterday I practically guilted her into going, and today she told me she was feeling lazy.

Being the one who was doubted, its oddly satisfying and highly motivating to come out on top.

Replies

• maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes, sounds like you are the one that's motivated! My own experience with either going to a gym or just a walking routine is that I had to get a little selfish... Same story... waiting around for them, cancelling out or just not showing up... what a pain! And the walking? I am not out here for a leisurely stroll... I say a quick "hello" to passers-by as I keep on moving... I don't want to chit chat with the neighbors when I'm on a mission!

I've found when it comes to my health & fitness, it's gotta be about ME... selfish as that sounds. I help those friends (who are probably well meaning) as much as I can, but they aren't where I am probably in their own level of motivation, so I do things on my own and have learned to like it that way!You just keep on taking care of YOU!