Wisdom Teeth Food Suggestions

Options
ChipChocolatePancake
ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Just got my wisdom teeth removed! Ouch!!!

I wasn't able to eat or drink anything for about 8 hours post-op, but I have worked my way up to water, Gatorade, chicken and stars soup, mashed avocado, and drinkable yogurt.

I have found that eating with a fork is MUCH easier than eating with a spoon because I don't have to open my mouth as wide :)

What did you eat when you had your wisdom teeth removed? Any suggestions for keeping in line with macros, especially protein?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Did they give you directions? They gave me some. Not sucking through a straw, eating certain things, but not others. I remember scrambled eggs were off the list for a day or two and chip-type things were off until I went back. That's all I remember. You should call. If you can, and ask.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think I only ate half of a mini Blue Bunny ice cream cup when I had mine out, using a baby spoon, for like 4 or 5 days. It sounds like you are able to eat much more than I was though.

An Ensure drink might be good, sans a straw.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When I got mine taken out, I just remember eating a lot of mashed potatoes and mac n cheese. That doesn't exactly help with your protein goal, but it's all I seemed to be able to eat lol

ETA - definitely stay away from straws! I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth cut out at the same time and ended up getting dry socket in 2 of them - it was not fun. They have to put gauze dipped in some disgusting-tasting liquid and pack it down into the socket. Ick.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Did they give you directions? They gave me some. Not sucking through a straw, eating certain things, but not others. I remember scrambled eggs were off the list for a day or two and chip-type things were off until I went back. That's all I remember. You should call. If you can, and ask.

Yes, I was given a short list limited to "cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, and other soft foods." I was hoping that the MFP community might come up with some more inventive suggestions than the dentist (still keeping in line with the whole soft and/or drinkable foods guideline)
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Try greek yogurt and cottage cheese, decent amounts of protein in those, and hopefully easy to swallow.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I wasn't able to eat or drink anything for about 8 hours post-op, but I have worked my way up to water, Gatorade, chicken and stars soup, mashed avocado, and drinkable yogurt.

I have found that eating with a fork is MUCH easier than eating with a spoon because I don't have to open my mouth as wide :)

What did you eat when you had your wisdom teeth removed? Any suggestions for keeping in line with macros, especially protein?

Pudding, yogurt and protein shakes mostly. I had a really bad case and wasn't allowed solid food for multiple weeks. Lost 5 pounds during the time though.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I did ok with yogurt and soymilk with ovaltine.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    Options
    When I got mine taken out, I just remember eating a lot of mashed potatoes and mac n cheese. That doesn't exactly help with your protein goal, but it's all I seemed to be able to eat lol

ETA - definitely stay away from straws! I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth cut out at the same time and ended up getting dry socket in 2 of them - it was not fun. They have to put gauze dipped in some disgusting-tasting liquid and pack it down into the socket. Ick.

That sounds awful! What is dry socket?
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    V8-Fusion.png

pretty much this stuff non-stop. I don't know that it was the healthiest choice, but i was a younger, less experienced DuckReconMajor
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I was a kid and remembered a lot of broth, bread soaked in the broth, and ice cream. I recently had my tonsils removed (that seriously sucks as an adult) and found that tomato based things burned like hell; same with spicy foods.

I did lots of popsicles and protein shakes. Most days I wasn't hungry, and other days I got sick of food. Pureed veggies (carrots, peas, or pumpkin) could work. Also mashed avacados.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, mashed potatoes, pudding.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I ate mashed potatoes, apple sauce, and chocolate pudding. I got mine out the day after Christmas.

Protein shakes, refried/mushy beans, crumbled tofu are all high in protein and soggy.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I pretty much lived on applesauce, yogurt, and healthy homemade bread pudding. I used sprouted cinnamon raisin bread, canned pumpkin, almond milk, and raw honey to try and lend a little nutrition into it. I also used green smoothies (no straw, please!) to get some veggies into my diet. Mashed bananas and instant oatmeal (it's mushier and finer than oatmeal made with rolled oats) are good, too. Just avoid anything small and granular that could get stuck in the pits, like rice and quinoa. And make sure to swish and soak your gums in warm salt water after every meal to dislodge any food that did get stuck in the pits and to prevent infection.

The first "real" food I ate were some pumpkin pancakes from ihop about two weeks after they came out. I don't typically like ihop, but I was so grateful to be able to eat something solid that those were the BEST pancakes that I've ever had.

Edit: if you need something liquid that would make a pretty good rounded out meal replacement, Garden of Life makes a product called Raw Meal that a sort of protein/greens/probiotic blend. You just mix it into milk using a shaker bottle. I typically use 1 scoop as an after-workout shake since it has 17 grams of protein per scoop (20 grams in the new formula, but I haven't gotten one that uses the new formula yet,) but the canister says to use 2 scoops for a meal replacement. Overall, the "meal size" mixture has about 310-340 calories 34-40 grams of protein, and about 8 grams of fiber, so it's not a terrible substitute if you can't eat anything solid.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

apple sauce and yogurt..with a teaspoon lol for almost 3 days in a row. I had so many stitches in my mount that i couldnt eat normal for a week almost and lost about 10 pounds...And this was in a time i didn't had much to lose.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options

That sounds awful! What is dry socket?

Dry socket is a *kitten*! You will know it if you have it. Basically an infection. It was this time last year that I had an infection which had to be treated before the teeth came out and then another infection and dry socket. 5 extremely long weeks on hydrocodone and no activity not even yoga.

Mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, baked potatoes cut into tiny bits, yogurt (try trader joe's squishers that you can just pour into your mouth - nice flavors too), canned soup so the veggies were soft, dumplings. I have chocolate protein powder so you can mix that with greek yogurt some pb2 and a bit of milk for protein pudding. Baby food so everything is pureed for you. Hawaiian bread so it essentially dissolves in your mouth. Once you are feeling a bit better: meats that have been softened by being cooked in liquid like pulled chicken in bbq sauce but really small pieces.

I slept as much as I could and gave up eating at a deficit. I just wanted to maintain and that worked out. Good luck.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I remember not eating anything for a few days until I was starving and made myself a bowl of mashed beans (like refried) with salsa, sour cream and avocado. I ate 1/4 of it before the mushy texture was too much for me lol. Definitely eat soups! I keep an arsenal in my freezer so I can always grab one anyway.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Pacific Organic Foods has containers of bone broth in several tasty flavors that have 9 grams of protein per 8 ounces for only 35 or 40 calories. I like everything but the plain chicken.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I didn't eat solid foods for 2 weeks after getting 4 wisdom teeth removed. I drank milk, cranberry juice, water. I also had pudding cups, applesauce, and yogurt. That's it. NO HOT OR FROZEN THINGS!! NO STRAWS!!! Bad things can happen and you can get an infection. Even if you can eat solid foods, it wasn't recommended for me for at least 1 week, and I didn't feel like the holes had healed enough after that. Make sure to rinse properly after eating anything, and take your antibiotics! I knew someone who got an infection from her wisdom teeth surgery and it was really bad, she had to get needles every day for over a month.
  • Alicereed91
    Alicereed91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bread with low fat cheese spread, baked potato cook it for long enough to make it really soft, weetabix. Everything i had for about 2 weeks after mine out x
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I bought a ton of soft food and meal supplement shakes for my wisdom teeth extraction back in March. The ONLY foods I wanted were light yogurt and scrambled eggs. Everything else I bought (mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, ensure, soup) went to waste! Good luck and enjoy those pain meds :wink: