What have you done to reduce carbs? What has worked for you?

2»

Replies

• mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    As people have said before, it's really all about CICO... I've never had a problem losing weight if I keep my calories in a deficit. That being said you have to remember that your intake needs to be adjusted every 5-10lbs you lose to maintain your deficit keep losing. Also keep in mind that weight loss is not always linear in the short term, just over time. I would say depending on how much you've lost and how long you've been plateaued, to re-evaluate your deficit, rather than try to cut out carbs.

Also, a good strategy that has already been mentioned previously is focusing on getting more protein and fat into your diet, while staying in your calories. Its helps one focus on what they get to eat instead of what they can't eat. It has helped me keep my carbs in control without even trying. When you're aiming for high protein and higher fat, if you're staying within your caloric allotment, you're already reducing your carb intake. That being said, I do this because I tend to feel fuller with a little more protein and fat in my diet, not just because I am anti-carb or think that cutting carbs will somehow make me thinner.

The whole scientific argument for no-carb diets is that your body enters ketosis and burns fat instead of carbs. However, to truly maintain ketosis, you have to stick to a very strict diet that few of us can maintain for any significant length of time. Furthermore, there is a lot of research pointing to liver damage as a result of maintaining a ketotic state for long periods of time. Most low-carb diets do not achieve ketosis, and therefore are really just a fancy way to trick some people into eating less (although many replace carbs with fat and protein calories, which completely voids the deficit)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    People can repeat CICO over and over, but carbs is often the first (and I find easiest) place to cut to reduce the CI in CICO.

In regards to OP's question, I find that eating sweet potatoes tends to reduce my overall calorie and carb intake for the day just because they're so satiating. They're great in place of rice, grains, or white potatoes.

I agree with this. I have "lowered" my carbs so they are only 40 percent of my intake, and increased protein to 30 percent. More protein helps me fell full longer. That said, I eat all types of carbs, I just pay attention to how much. I do like the low-carb tortillas, but mostly because they are also half the calories of regular ones.
  • mbcieslak87
    I agree that protein and fats will help you feel full longer often... but that doesn't mean you're not still practicing CICO... you can eat low carb if it helps you achieve CICO, but it's still CICO.

Taking out carbs and replacing them with fats and proteins will not help this person break his plateau if he eats more calories overall... so really it is CICO when it comes right down to it...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    That's true.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    I stopped buying things I didn't crave (for me that was pasta) and also those I couldn't control my portions with (commercial while bread). What's not in the house I can't eat! The carbs that I still like to eat, I just fit them in the day, I just finished eating some pizza and still within my calorie goal (I swapped stuffed crust for extra thin and 3-4 slices without sides/dip instead of ten with all the extras!) :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I reduced my calorie intake, not my carbs. I've never really been a naturally big carb eater in the commonly perceived sense of the word. All about the calorie deficit. Science!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    carbs are good. heck, even the "bad" carbs have their place.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited July 2015
    If you want to reduce your carbs, look at your diary and figure out where most of your carbs are coming from - then replace or remove those things.

If you're in a plateau, you're likely not in a deficit. You might want to tighten up your food logging or consider a food scale, if you don't already use one.

Lowering carbs in and of itself won't make you lose weight, but it might help you create a calorie deficit.

Good luck.
  • mbcieslak87
    Becca_250 wrote: »
    I stopped buying things I didn't crave (for me that was pasta) and also those I couldn't control my portions with (commercial while bread). What's not in the house I can't eat! The carbs that I still like to eat, I just fit them in the day, I just finished eating some pizza and still within my calorie goal (I swapped stuffed crust for extra thin and 3-4 slices without sides/dip instead of ten with all the extras!) :)

This! Don't buy the stuff you don't want to eat regularly - if its carbs that you are looking to limit, don't buy them! Then they are an occasional treat when you're out, instead of a regular thing.

I still maintain that you don't have to limit your carbs to break your plateau, but I do follow this advice and buy mostly healthy carbs with lots of fiber anyways... because chips are good and I want the whole bag if I buy them
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2015
    I used to be one of those people that thought I couldn't lose weight unless I drastically reduced my carbs. For so long I was eating under 20g of carbs a day. I reached a point where I couldn't get under 165 by eating low carb even when I was within my calories. I decided to try adding in carbs (fruits, whole grains, etc) and found that I could still lose weight. In fact, when I first started adding in carbs, I lost 1.5 lbs each day of consuming 150g. I was expecting to actually gain weight initially and I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't. I'm currently eating my own words that CICO was a bunch of crap and that the only way I could lose weight was to restrict bread, rice, pasta, etc. I'm finding that to be further from the truth. I actually seem to lose weight better when eating carbs for some reason. Maybe it was stressing me out knowing I couldn't have my favorite carb foods lol. Not to mention I'm a happier girl knowing I don't have to live without this and that. I am now at my lowest weight since high school (162).
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Lots of lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches! That's been my biggest switch. I ditched bread for the most part because it just isn't worth the calories. And when I eat it, I tend to crave even more, so I just stay away for the most part.

There are tons of pasta substitutes. One of my faves is made from black beans.

Just make meals you're making now, and leave out the carb heavy stuff!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    I echo what many have said. Carbs are what I love, so part of the way I avoid eating more than my calorie goal is by limiting what I buy and making sure better choices are available and convenient. Instead of a bag of chips I can grab easily, I'll make sure I have protein bars, cut up veggies, whatever it may be. I also have switched to carbs that give me more bang for my buck--whole grains, etc. These may not taste the same, but if that's all that's there, you'll be satisfied.

One thing I have done regularly to reduce calories (and carbs, but that wasn't my goal) is to use different ways of dressing up foods. I love Latin American food. I ditched the tortillas and chips and make taco salads instead--I just throw my meat over lettuce and toss in some salsa. Instead of a tuna sandwich, I cut up slices of cucumber and put tuna on that. It takes longer to eat (something I need because of my tendency to eat super fast) and cuts out a bunch of calories.

Healthy Life (and other similar brands) make bread that's lower calorie and lower carb. They have hamburger buns, hot dog buns, regular white bread, wheat bread... I use these, though I'm not claiming they're nutrient-dense. I just wanted a lower calorie alternative to something I didn't want to get rid of entirely. When I have gotten rid of things entirely that I enjoy, it leads to falling off the wagon.

Lastly, to address the plateau, something I've had happen many times, you have to give it time, if you're sure you're logging completely accurately. You won't lose weight steadily, but if you're eating a deficit, you will lose weight. Make sure you're using food scales and measuring your intake accurately. It's an easy downfall when you trust yourself to eye one serving or judge what a "small" apple is, or believe the calorie burn MFP (or machines, or almost anything) tells you.

Congratulations on your achievements so far, and best of luck in the future!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    You may have plateaued because you are already too low in carbs. Each of us has different nutritional needs and for some lack of carbs just results in more stress, increased cortisol and muscle wasting.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    I stopped eating bread since I didn't like it that much anyway. I also swapped cereal for eggs, although I do have oatmeal sometimes. For the past couple of months I stopped eating rice, potatoes, pasta etc and I have fresh veggies as my side instead.

I eat a lot of fruit, so my carbs aren't actually low, but my carbs (& calories) would deffs be higher if I was still eating even healthy quinoa and whole grains. They're just things I used to eat that I didn't really like as much as other food and that I'm honestly too lazy to cook.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Thank you all for your wonder and detailed feedback; it is appreciated.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    If you are not losing you are not in a deficit, it doesn't matter whether eat low carb, high carbs, low sugar, etc. Get a food digital scale and weigh all foods and measure liquids only!!